Irritating fat face.

Options
I've lost about 30 lbs this year, going from 182 to 152 lbs. I'm 5'11 (ish), so my BMI is in the normal range. But I still have obnoxiously chubby cheeks and weird play-doh face, and am starting to wonder if I just drew the short straw on the looks department or should I keep at dieting.

I've accepted that I'm not particularly handsome, nor ever will be, but I had hoped my features would grow more gaunt as I lost weight. Looking like a child at the age of twenty-two has grown a bit tiresome. Should I keep losing weight, build muscle, or just get used to it?

Here's a photo I took, the first one I've taken of myself in years. Let's see if it shows up...

N3tg2.jpg

Replies

• AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    you look fine!

I've got the chubby cheeks, and i'm 27.. you're only 22 though, you've got a ways to go.. they'll probably sink down if you keep at your workout! :)

great work on the weight loss by the way!
  • shawnaln
    shawnaln Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 30 lbs! That is a huge accomplishment. You must be seeing something else in the mirror because your face doesn't look fat or ugly or like play-doh. You look a heck of a lot more attractive and healthier than many guys I know. Just keep it up and stay healthy. Oh, and don't be so hard on yourself :)
  • NerdyBirdy247
    Options
    See i have a big face and extra face but i say this 'My face is so pretty i just needed more of it' Your a handsome young man ( i dont see any extra face by the way) and you have achived an amazing 30lb loss dont be discouraged by your pretty face focus on your fabulousness!!!

xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your face is normal.... You should be concentrating on being healthy and fit not 'face fat' that is in your imagination!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain - I have a round face with nice squishy cheeks that all of the old ladies love love love to pinch even though I am now 38. When I was in my 20's it was way worse but as I grew older my face thinned out naturally - most peoples do during the aging process. You are still so young and within a couple of years you will look back at this picture and remember your cheeks b/c they won't be as prominent anymore. You look like a 22yr old should look - young and fresh. Enjoy it while you got it !! :happy:
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    You just need to smile! You are handsome, look like Leo Dicapprio.
    I wouldn't worry about losing more weight.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would say you need to be careful not to keep focusing on this....could turn into body dysmorphia....your face looks normal to me and you will be glad of your youthful fullness when you get older! :-)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Your face stores fat the exact same way mine does. Except... my face fat makes me look older, not younger. Wanna trade? :laugh:

I dislike my face fat, but I've come to realize chubby cheeks are better than a chubby chin. I've seen some people who seem to be around the same body fat % as me, yet still have a double chin.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Some people take a while for what they see in the mirror to catch up with their weight loss, maybe you are still seeing yourself as you were 30lbs ago? I say that coz your face doesn't look fat to me, you look like a nice looking 22 year old! Please don't obsess about it :smile:
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think it's just the genes. You'll be thrilled about it when you're in your 40's or 50's I'm sure. If you aren't dating or married, you will find your princess! God made someone for you and you will attract the right one in due time. :flowerforyou:

I can relate to being tired of looking like a child though. When I was 22 I took my first teaching job. At the orientation I saw parents whispering. One of the other teachers jokingly said, "They're worried you're too young to be a good teacher." When I introduced myself I said, "I'm Miss S. and I may be young, but I have a four year college degree and a teaching credential. I promise that I am qualified to teach and am excited to learn WITH your children this year." The crowd let out a little laugh. The principal said when parents would speak to her about this or that and she'd ask, "Which teacher?" They'd say, "The one that looks like she's 12." :grumble:

Now that I'm almost 36 I'm starting to be happy about it. People always assume I'm around 28. :bigsmile:
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself!!! you are a nice looking guy. Trust me you don't want a sunken gaunt looking face. go out there and enjoy your new body!!
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I think u need to get ur self esteem in check. There is nothing wrong with ur appearance. Love urself. If you feel like u have more work to do.. do it! I see nothing wrong and I hope u don't take offense to what I've said.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It -- whatever 'it' is -- does not show up. You look normal. You look really good.
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kindness. I didn't mean to sound quite so vitriolic about it, it's not particularly something I stress over all the time. Maybe I'm just having a hard time seeing my progress, since I don't have any photographs of myself when I was heavier.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - you are being far too hard on yourself! And while looking younger may be annoying now, trust me you won't mind when you're still getting carded at 40 :wink:
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think you look very attractive. My husband has similar strong European features like yours and I personally think he's gorgeous (no prejudice here or anything) As you get a little older, your face will slim down a bit and you'll be left with that nice strong jaw, and slightly Roman nose, and the ladies will be lining up!
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I fully expect I'll be floating face down in...Brendan Fraser's pool (I'm sure a renowned thespian like him has one) before I turn 25.

But I'll be updating here if that doesn't happen.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ain't no fat face there. You have great skin.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    smile & relax. you're good looking. except you look mad.... I'd avoid you for that. people are attracted to folks who look open & relaxed. feel confident in your weight loss & how healthy you feel & folks will be attracted & want to be around you because you look like a good guy, not a mad guy.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    also, if you dont like your face... bulk up & go shirtless, lol!