About how many pounds do I have to lose to drop pant sizes?

Options
I'm really looking to get down to at least, if not below , a size 8 pant. Right now I'm size 14/16.
I remember reading somewhere that theres an 'x' amount of pounds between each size.
Sorry if it's confusing, but altogether how many pounds should I lose to be around a size 8 pant?

Replies

• asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think 10lbs is 1 size sooo (math is not great) about 20lbs?
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    How it worked for me so far- Started at an 18 dropped almost immediately to a 14, I seriously skipped size 16 altogether. I wore a 14 for I swear 50 pounds! Then dropped to a 12 for about a heart beat and am now in a 10. That's a 10 with ease, not squeezing into them. Shocks the hell out of me every time I put on a pair of pants! I suspect that as the sizes get smaller it takes less of a weight loss to move down a size.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For me it works out that each dress/pant size is about 21lbs.....I'm a bit sad in that I know exactly what my weight has to be for each size....actually it's not just sad it's blinking depressing!! :sad:
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have moved down from a tight size 17 to a tight-ish size 9 with a 50 pound loss, so that would be 10 pounds a size, but now I'm stuck. I know I have more to lose, but it's not budging.
  • elenakristine
    elenakristine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think this is reeeeally individual, so you will get a lot of different answers. Personally I have lost 33 lbs now and not a single pants size - all of my weight lost have been around my waist/back/upper body. I have been able to go down one entire cupsize and can fit into dresses/tops I couldn't before, but not pants. Mainly my weight IS concentrated around the stomach etc so ofc it's not like I haven't slimmed down, but people are really different :) You just have to see as you go!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Shirt sizes are a different story though. I've moved from a large to a medium with my 50 pound loss. My boobs will not go away.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I guess it's all about from where you lose, from where the fat goes, in which area muscle grow more.

For example I started at a euro size 48 and after about 6 kg (14 lbs) lost, size 46 is still quite tight, in a bothering way (I have bought last week a 46 pair and it's still quite tight on my tights :lol: ). From size 48 to size 46 in euro size is like getting from 14 to 12 in American sizes.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Shirt sizes are a different story though. I've moved from a large to a medium with my 50 pound loss. My boobs will not go away.

@Rugbyphreak I LOVE your weightloss ticker image. I love it so much it makes me want to play rugby just so I can wear that shirt. Sounds like a kick-*kitten* sport!

ETA: with 70 lbs lost, I've gone down 5 sizes, from 22/24W to 12/14, so that's avg 14 lbs per size. But sizing is so varied among manufacturers and cuts that I have some 12s that fit as good, or better, then some 16s.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    It's really an individual thing. But probably somewhere around 10-20 pounds per size is typical for most people. It depends on where you carry your weight, where you lose it from, how tall you are, how tight you wear your clothes, etc. I've gone down 4-5 sizes in 68 pounds, so around 15 pounds per size.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is a hard question to answer bc it depends on where and how you drop the weight.

Also I think it depends on your starting points also bc the larger sizes require more lbs lost than between smaller sizes.

So as a rule of thumb anywhere between 10-20 maybe (all depends on where the weight is lost from though)

Far as my stats focusing mostly on cardio until recently I have went down about 12 sizes with a 80lbs lost. That was also wearing a waist trimmer and additional toning at times
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Pants? If you are working on the lower body and rear with your exercising, then after you lose about 10-12 lbs you should be down one pant size. I have lost 40 lbs and gone down 4 pants sizes.. so pretty close to 10 lbs per size.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    too many!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i'm still refusing to admit i've gone up a pants size
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Started at 16W (225 pounds) and down to a slightly big 10 (170 pounds). I have one size 8 pant, but am afraid to try more in case they don't fit. Remember, different clothing makers make their sizes different too.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I would think it depends on the person,it took me 20lbs to go from 20/22W-18, 30lb loss to a 16 and 20 lb loss to my curent loose size 14 .Then again I started my journey at 281-285lbs.Good luck on your journey though!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking to get down to at least, if not below , a size 8 pant. Right now I'm size 14/16.
    I remember reading somewhere that theres an 'x' amount of pounds between each size.
    Sorry if it's confusing, but altogether how many pounds should I lose to be around a size 8 pant?

The *average* is 10 lbs per size. However, with that being said, everyone is different. Everyone loses their weight in different places at different paces. I remember one thread where this poor girl had lost 30 lbs and none of it from her belly (she took measurements). Then you'll get people who lose 5 lbs all from their belly. You'll just have to lose the weight and see!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I started at a 14/16, and now am a size 8. For the average person, i'd say yes, 10lbs a size, give or take. I've heard 20, but that's obviously not my case. It really depends how you go about losing too. I'm sure that if I just only did straight cardio, and no strength training, I would not be an 8.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It depends a bit on where you lose the fat. I've lost a lot more from my rear end than my waist. My total weight loss (including the 10+ pounds of muscle mass gain) is about 20 pounds and I've gone from a size 16 /18 to a size 12.
  • Jallens47
    Options
    After reading the posts on this subject, it would seem the consensus is around 10 to 12 pounds per pant size decrease. As a guy, I have gone from a men's 38" waist to a 34" waist after losing 24 pounds so I also fit the loss pattern. Still, I really wanted most to lose belly fat and instead am losing weight from all over. My pinky ring now almost falls off my finger so will have to have it resized once I am at my goal weight. Not complaining though. I feel so much better and move easier. Losing the weight is well worth the effort.
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body type.. I am 6ft and started at 398 and in size 28. When I lost 50lbs I was in a 24/26. For me it it was for every 30-40 lbs...I also lift a lot of weights