Electrolyte drinks; thoughts please?

Options
2»

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes are salt.

I'm no doctor, but I'm fairly sure salt doesn't help you burn fat. Though, I have no doubt that if you Google it, there is a site somewhere that says "Salt burns fat... and we base this on absolutely nothing."

Electrolytes is not salt. Salt has sodium, sodium is an electrolytes. Potassium and calcium (among others) are also electrolytes. Your body needs electrolytes for muscle communication and you can have electrolyte imbalances from disease, sickness, poor diet, etc.

http://www.medicinenet.com/electrolytes/article.htm

(I'm a current Health Fitness Student, and was just discussing electrolytes in my Anatomy and Physiology class, weird!) :)
    True. I should have clarified (I'm tired...shup). "Electrolytes in sport drinks" are fundamentally salts.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My diabetes educator told me to drink Power Zero (Powerade without sugar, no calories) if I do a workout where I sweat a LOT! It helps to replenish electrolytes I lose when I sweat.
  • carlee1212
    carlee1212 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes are really only good for you if you work out a whole lot (or if you are really sick) . A nutritionist told me that most people who drink gatorade when they work out, really don't need it. In fact it will only add extra calories. I think you would be better sticking with water.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The electrolyte drinks that I've tasted were so awful that I have to say no. I'd rather get my electrolytes from food.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    When I was in boot camp we were required to have a glass of power raid with our meals, along with water. We had too many people passing out from electrolyte loss.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Electrolytes are salt.

I'm no doctor, but I'm fairly sure salt doesn't help you burn fat. Though, I have no doubt that if you Google it, there is a site somewhere that says "Salt burns fat... and we base this on absolutely nothing."

Electrolytes are not salt. Potassium is an electrolyte sir.
  • ChiGirl79
    Options
    I stick with water for my day-to-day exercise and take a Salt Stick if I am in need of the electrolytes.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes are salt.

Electrolytes are not salt. Potassium is an electrolyte sir.
    I covered that already, madame.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone says, I live and die by coconut water. I know, I know, not really what we're talking about here, but I LOVE that stuff. When it's a hot day and I'm totally exhausted, it's my baby. Same with after extremely exhausting workouts and I need to go do something. I don't know why it really picks me up :)