Protein

Options
So. Question; about the only thing I routinely go over on my values is protein. I'm a meat eater, frankly, and it's hard for me to make a meal without a meat or dairy product in it somewhere, so I'm usually about 20-40 grams or so over on protein. I also do weight lifting 4-5 times a week.

How much do I need to be worried about my protein overage? I mean, I'm losing weight, but I'm becoming aware that as I've gone from Jabba-sized to just fat that I have less wiggle room in my diet.

Replies

• conradhughes
    conradhughes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it at all. Protein won't turn to fat... the only way for this to really happen is if protein is being used for glucose synthesis (58% of protein IIRC can go to glucose) and then via de novo lipogenesis which tbh won't happen unless you're eating 3-400 grams of carbohydrates a day. Eat as much lean meat as you like!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As long as you're staying in a calorie deficit and eating enough dietary fat for physiological necessities, and enough carbs to train hard, I wouldn't worry about over-eating protein.

That being said, excess calories will make you fat over time, even if you're consuming mostly protein.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As long as you're staying in a calorie deficit and eating enough dietary fat for physiological necessities, and enough carbs to train hard, I wouldn't worry about over-eating protein.

That being said, excess calories will make you fat over time, even if you're consuming mostly protein.
    ^ This. Also, if you're using MFP's default settings, many people (myself included) believe that the protein recommendation is set too low. Recommendations generally vary from 1g/lb of lean body mass to >1g/lb. of body weight - in either case, far above MFP's defaults.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am on a diet that requires me to eat 75-100 gms. of protein every day. Since you work out you need it to repair your muscles.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    200 on average but i weight 280 and im trying to gain lean muscle mass while loosing the last 20-30 lbs of fat.
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this! I am the same with my protein. I love my meat. I crave it terribly if I don't have any. I'll have a steak for breaky if I cut meat the day before for one reason or another. Vitamins help the craving, but not for this much..