cheat days

Options
2»

Replies

• Michaelsdin
    Options
    i was just thinking about this topic to myself and was going to post a topic but since you beat me to it. I cheat usually once a week but its not really cheating, I eat something for 1 meal i REALLY want and suppliment my other meals with less food intake but enough to get me by. Like i have been eating this week nothing but my normal diet foods and this coming tuesday I am going to get bbq I have been craving this local bbq joint in my town for a couple weeks now its getting bad. I figure do it now so i don't over indulge myself. but usually once a week i will get REALLY close to my calorie goal(btw i do not eat what i workout) i usually consume way less.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i would suggest one cheat meal, not a whole day, and some extra exercise to make up for it.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    so what constitutes a cheat meal? a certain calorie amount? if so, how many calories?/

or is it certain types of food?
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I would consider today a cheat day for me.....

Had Denny's for breakfast (made a mistake of thinking I could wing it there instead of go online to research before we went)...I thought I was doing good:

Ham/Egg/Cheese Omelette with egg whites instead of eggs...grilled potatoes....wheat toast....3 cups of coffee. Didn't feel like a lot, but when I tracked it....OMFG over 1000 calories. That will not happen again, next time, I research what is UNDER 500 calories before we go.

We made pot roast for dinner which is my favorite meal...so I had two servings of that....another 1000 calories...then a piece of pumpkin pie with light whipped cream...almost 300 calories.

I ended up doing 40 minutes on my elliptical machine simply to put my calories "right" with my calorie count...so I feel like I cheated....then had to make up for it.
  • kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have lost 75 pounds (from 213 pounds to 138 - size 16 to size 4!) and the whole time I haven't counted calories on Saturdays. I drink alcohol and eat what I want on those days. Every other day I count calories and exercise and stay within my calorie allowance. I guess it's a personal decision but it has worked well for me.
  • KatieCJ66
    KatieCJ66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to plan a cheat meal, instead of a day. And I also make it a rule to plan the meal on an exercise day. I also plan my other meals, so that I don't go over my calorie intake too much.

That way, I don't go crazy. And I get to enjoy myself. For the moment, I allow myself one cheat meal a week.

This week, I'm going out with my sister on Saturday. That will be my cheat meal.
  • Technickal1
    Technickal1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are consistent with your diet every week, it is good for you to have a "cheat meal". Now, it cannot be for the whole day, but for rather one of your main meals. The reason for this is because once your body is in the mode for dieting, it can develop what is known as a weight loss plateau. When the same thing goes through the body for 14 days, the body will adjust and it can be harder to lose the weight.

What happens when you have this meal is that your body basically gets confused and immediately starts to burn the calories/fat/carbs it just had. And when this happens, your body will never develop the same habits; therefore, you continually lose the weight and prevent the plateau.

Hope this helps!

Source: I have researched weight loss for over 3 years.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Personally I dont have them. I eat the same amount each day, about 3300, and regulate with exercise. I go by weekly goals and by eating a higher amount daily I can pretty much eat anything I want if a craving hits. It is rare though to be honest. I have been on a but of a beer kick lately tho.
  • carriebardo
    carriebardo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal, i watch my calories at my two meals then i enjoy dinner and dessert, i try not to go to overboar. But i need to enjoy a little, because if i don't then i really blow it.
  • echamin
    echamin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy most of the time but I never deprive myself. If I want a burger, I have it...i just make sure I stay within my calories.
  • colleenrutledge
    Options
    I really believe in cheat days, my only problem is my cheat day is usually saturday, i count most of what i eat but let a lot slide, my biggest problem is the next 2 days after I feel like I am starving, or really craving the bad food I have been eating. Does anyone know of anywhere it says that it boosts your metabolism? It might make me feel less guilty each week.
  • czar54
    czar54 Posts: 3
    Options
    a cheat day may be a little risky but id definitely suggest a cheat meal once a week
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days I have 1 or 2 cheat meals a week. Basically I pick a night where I know I am going out to eat and I let myself eat until I am fully satisfied. Not so stuffed I am sick but I usually will cut a meal in half instead I will eat until I am done with my meal or until satisfied. This way I don't have to stress about calories for that meal.