Alopecia and diet

Options
Has anyone here with alopecia areata had success with dietary changes? I have heard ancedotes about eliminating gluten or processed food, etc, but never a first-person account. Of course my doctor says food and allergies have nothing to do with autoimmune reactions, but that makes no sense to me at all. Curious if anything has worked for any MFP-ers.

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Options
    Are you on any anti depressants? Some have alopecia listed as a rare side effect? Just a thought...
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Are you on any anti depressants? Some have alopecia listed as a rare side effect? Just a thought...

Thanks for the thought, but no. I'm a type I diabetic, which is also auto-immune. I guess it is more common in diabetics.
  • zoogiejab
    Options
    Hi, I have not noticed changes in my alopecia from diet alone. That said, I have not attempted to eliminate gluten. The past few months I have been eating far more vegetables and less processed food. I have though noticed that exercise has curbed hair shedding on a day by day basis.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard much about alopecia, but I've known a few women with male-pattern baldness who were helped greatly by biotin, kelp, and prenatal vitamins. I do have MS, though (also autoimmune), and gluten and sugar DEFINITELY affect the way I feel and function. I avoid them...at least when I remember :-)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've experienced two bouts of alopecia areata; both times my hair grew back in, and it only took about a month to do so. My doctor couldn't even tell me what caused it. I don't have diabetes or any auto-immune deficiencies.

Sorry, I guess I'm not being any help, am I? :ohwell:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Your doctor is correct. Autoimmune is your body attacking itself. A food allergy is your body attacking a foreign substance. The antigens that stimulate the immune system are completely different.
  • Bella_Bea
    Bella_Bea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump..Alopecia sufferer and interested in what others say.
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I just had my first batch of steroid liquid prescribed...would rather attack this naturally. Curious for any of you guys who are ladies in your pre- meno - or post - menopausal - what about endocrine balancing stuff I've read about "maca"? Horrible/wonderful things on the internet about it helping you GAIN WEIGHT and so forth...NOT INTERESTED IN THAT .... This has all just started for me. right at the middle of the head on either side of the "widow's peak"...not too drastic since I have had thick hair up until now. Maybe it will just grow back...but I don't think so. In fact - I think the first episode happened after an event where I I had a tight hairstyle for a wedding in March of 2019... So - yeah - maybe I'm a year and a half into this. Derm said it is an auto immune disorder... but I'm just not buying that. I think it's based on hormonal shifts. Ok - sorry to ramble...if you stuck with this and have any insights - I, like so many, would be grateful.