That's it.... on low carb?????

Options

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    If you want to do low carb seriously then up the fat and calories and lower the carbs. I wouldn't even touch an apple when I was low carbing.

My honest advice, eat carbs but get them from wholegrains, fruit and veg.

Low carbers don't eat apples...

ONE POUND AND A HALF IS A VOCTORY.

Sometimes you lose more on low carb but some of it is water weight...

There is no magic diet....Just calorie count, it's simple... and you won't gain back so fast unless you're bingeing.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A 1.5lb loss per week is a fantastic and healthy loss.

Did you put all of your weigh on in 1 week? If not, then why expect it to come off so quickly?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're upset you lost 1.5 lbs in one week!?

this!
  • ds4life
    Options
    No sugar in your carbs. and ABSOLUTELY no alcohol. It will kill your weight loss. low to no carbs, High protein and up the fats. Be careful with Dairy, Cheese is good, but milk is bad, (cheese does not have lactose, (sugar), Milk has a ton)

1.5 / week is good weight loss, don't short change yourself.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    When people who are really heavy start a new diet where they cut out most of their carbs, they will lose a LOT of weight the first week. If they have already been restricting calories for awhile, then switch to low carb, they will still see a loss, but they will not see the huge losses like they saw the first week on restricting calories in general, or like those who start their dieting on low carb.

First off, you don't look very large, so 1 1/2 pounds is a very good loss, especially if you have already been restricting calories for a while. Do not compare yourself to someone who is much heavier. The really large initial weight losses come from extra water that is being released. High carbs can cause water retention in many people. You may not have had a lot of water retention.

Second, you must still stay within your calorie goal even if you are low carbing. Too many calories of anything will thwart your weight loss. The lower carbs, combined with higher protein and good fats, will help keep you feeling fuller longer, so that you can stay within your calorie goal more easily. It also helps reduce the cravings and binging that many people who eat higher carbs but lower calories often have. Don't buy into the 'eat all you want and will still lose weight' promise of the low carb diet. It is still 'calories in calories out'.

Be thrilled with your pound and a half loss this week. Many people would love to have that. Keep logging everything and stay within your calorie goal. Cut out the fiber bars and replaced with high fiber veggies- lots of them. And be sure you drink your water.

And be patient. Keep doing it every day and you will continue to make forward progress.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Just so everyone knows, reading her other posts, her version of "low carbs" is between 60 - 100 g a day. I know most of you are thinking she means < 25. So I just thought I would clear that up.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yep, Low (adequate) carbing done properly means increasing the dietary fat and allowing the body to adjust to being, primarily, a fat burner, not glucose.

For some people this can take weeks. And most of the initial loss is water, not fat, so weight loss after a week is irrelevant anyway.

Sure, there is no silver bullet and dropping fat will take effort but in my experience limiting carbohydrates reduces hunger and cravings, which is half the battle ...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Just so everyone knows, reading her other posts, her version of "low carbs" is between 60 - 100 g a day. I know most of you are thinking she means < 25. So I just thought I would clear that up.

Ah, that might explain some of it ... :)
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Thanks! :) I was just about to say that I keep my carbs under 100g a day. I want low carb NOT KETO DIET lol. I know that anything under 100g carbs is concidered low carbs. I'm not interested in the whole keto thing.... way too much for me!!
  • chris1529
    Options
    My calorie range isn't bad. I think I'm in the 1200 range most days. AND I just started this low carb thing a week ago. Like I said, I may have unrealistic expectations. I was just under the impression that going under 100g carbs a day would make you lose atleast 3-5 pounds a week. I will not cut out the apple seeing as in its health benefits are awesome! Also seeing that it's pretty much my only fruit that day! The fiber one bars are 20g net carbs. I track my fiber also cause that's important and you can subtrat it from your carbs. I would have to go back and look at my diary, but I think I'm pretty much at 50-60g NET carbs a day.
  • chris1529
    Options
    It's just a week. There are so many external factors that could influence weight that I think you are being completely unrealistic basing your experience on a single week. Do four weeks and then make up your mind whether or not it's good or bad and whether or not it works. Personally, I would NEVER go on a low carb diet - but give it some time first before making up your mind. (It's a bit like test driving a car and pulling out a parking lot and making up your mind whether or not it's a good car - you haven't even driven it yet).

Thanks! I was thinking this as well.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    limiting my veggies and fruits (not including white potatoes)- no thank you. No one ever got fat from eating too many veggies. I live on these. I love my veggie carbs!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Except initially with the dramatic water weight loss, low carb is not any quicker than any other diet. 1 to 2lb a week loss is great.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was just under the impression that going under 100g carbs a day would make you lose atleast 3-5 pounds a week.

Well that's crazy. It takes a daily defecit of 500 calories to lose one pound per week. So good luck hitting a daily defecit of 2500 calories! If you do achieve that it's probably not healthy.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Just opened my diary! I'll keep it open all day so you can see what I'm eating. I also make sure that I drink 8 glasses of water a day! Now I have decided to have 1 cheat day a week, actually it's a cheat meal with a sweet snack. IF I FEEL DEPRIVED, I WON'T STICK WITH THE DIET!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    3-5lbs in a week isn't a realistic expectation. Some may lose that on low carb, but I would guess they have switched from high carb and have more to lose.

A couple suggestions that might increase your results - be careful of the cheese. It's really easy to go over calories with cheese. If you haven't weighed out what an ounce of cheese looks like in awhile, you might be surprised... It's a really SMALL amount.
    And ditch the flavoured creamer in your coffee. Sub 1/2 n 1/2 or go all out and have it black. :)
    And eat more veggies.

50 to 100g for low carb is a good level for continued loss and is very easy to sustain even once you up your calories for maintenance.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Saturday was my cheat meal and sweet snack day, for all that are looking at my food diary! I went to Golden Corral for lunch lol. YES, I had a dinner roll and mashed potatoes. I just guessed at the calories.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat carbs. You're not fueling your body enough. Or if you're going to think carbs are bad, eat "good" carbs which would be whole grains and veggies & fruits.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    my reply is at the bottom, stupid fingers, posted this before i could finish. tsk
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Scales are also NOT the only way to measure weightloss, in fact it is not very reliable to a certain extent. Have you tried measuring yourself with a tape measure? waist, hips, etc. Do clothes feel much looser? Is it much easier going up the stairs? etc. Taking pictures is great too.

If you have been consistent with exercise and eating moderately, you are on the right track. 1.5 lbs is a healthy weight loss :) In fact, any loss is a good thing!

All the best!

p.s. carbs are not evil. over indulging in any thing IS bad, not just carbs.