Eating back your exercise calories properly...

Options
I know the general consensus is you should always eat back your exercise calories, and as long as you remain below your recommended calories, you will lose the weight. That I have no qualms with at all...

However, what I'm finding hard is eating back all of my exercise calories (in a healthy way), and still remaining under sodium, protein, cholesterol and fat sub levels. I'm barely getting to 1200 calories per day from my recommended 1400, let alone the extra 600 I get from exercise...

What are some foods out there that are high in calories, but healthy with regards to all of the sub levels?

Thanks,

Replies

• cdub78
    cdub78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Avocados
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Soy products, Quinoa & nuts are some of my favorites.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about going over protein or fat (if it's good fat). Avocados, Almonds, Turkey Jerky, Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese are all examples of good high calorie food that will help boost your calorie intake - snack often, it will help your metabolism stay even. Even add in a Protein Shake/Smoothie in the mix after your workouts to ensure muscle recovery!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Almonds
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't worry about fat or protein either if they are coming from a good source. Obviously a piece of fried chicken is not a good source. However, skinless chicken sautéed or roasted in some olive oil is a good choice. Nuts, natural peanut butter, Greek yogurt (I prefer Fage 2%), eggs....I have whey protein powder that I use with Pb2, a half a banana and almond coconut milk to make a really good smoothie after a workout.
  • turbosupremo
    turbosupremo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    More Almonds & Protein Shake after exercise... Seems to be the route for me. Thanks for the recommendations :smile:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    An adult male should be consuming about 1800 calories or more. Not sure where you go the idea eating a really low calorie diet would be a good idea. There's so much food to choose from I find it impossible to believe someone can't find more than 1000 calories a day to eat. Forget the macro's and nourish your body. I'm not saying hit McD's but don't fret that small stuff in micronutrients.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Shrimp. Low in carbs, high protein.
    I also often make a large spinach salad with grilled chicken.