Leg & Foot Cramping

Options
Hey Everyone,

Need some suggestions on how to fix my problem. During my workouts, my calves and feet will cramp. I obviously will take a short break to make them go away, but I am curious to know what I should be eating/drinking to make them go away for good. I drink gatorade and water during my workouts and eat a banana before bed. And yes, if you are curious, I am sweating heavily as well during my workouts. Nothing is working and it is driving me crazy!

Thanks.

Replies

• ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a few runners I work with, they drink club soda to make it stop. I tried it and it works.
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and someone told me to loosen my shoelaces just slightly and it worked wonders :)
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    when I start suffering from bad leg cramps I add one banana a day to my diet. always seems to make them stop for me!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This is my first symptom of dehydration. Drink up!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    8 ounces of Tonic water at bedtime helps. And drink at lest 8 to 12 glasses of water per day.
  • turbosupremo
    turbosupremo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch before hand?
  • eikito
    eikito Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I take a Magnesium 300mg tablet everyday and seems to work.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Either too little water or in my case, too little salts replaced...I am a heavy sweater...I am use a leftover supplement my boyfriend no longer uses, no more cramp, it contains:

Calories: 25
    Fat: 0 g
    Carbohydrate: 6 g
    Sugar: 0 g
    Protein: 0 g
    Vitamin B6: 25 mg
    Vitamin B9: 400 mcg
    Vitamin B12: 120 mcg
    Calcium: 75 mg
    Phosphorous: 535 mg
    Magnesium: 360 mg
    Sodium: 235 mg
    Potassium: 75mg
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I would get bad charley horse style cramps and also shin splints. I have found that upping my hydration levels, lowering my sodium, and increasing my potassium has made most of that stop.
  • jwestonlee
    Options
    All the above suggestions are spot on. I fought this same problem for some time but it went away and I'm not sure why. What I still do is to stretch my calves before and after running. It's easy an it only takes a minute or two. I would look at your shoes too and make sure they fit somewhat loosely. Over tightening shoe strings could be a factor.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I get bad leg/foot cramps, and I eat raw spinach and bananas, the potassium helps.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Muscles work using potassium and sodium which is suspended in water. Therefore you need to be well hydrated before you start. A lot of us find bananas provide a good amount of potassium which helps stop cramping. For long sessions (35+ minutes) your electrolytes can get run down and need to be replenished.

Sodium is common in all processed foods, so start with the water and bananas (or other high potassium foods).

Details here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_contraction
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    I also get some nasty leg and foot cramps, but they usually come in the evening or at night. I find bananas and staying hydrated helps eliminate the cramps. I've also been drinking coconut water, which has many electorlites and lots of potassium.
  • Marlene_2012
    Marlene_2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Magnesium (in combo with Ca) will relax musclesA
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If you get them all time and you sweat a LOT, like I do, get some Maginex (magnesium) from your pharmacist. It is not on the shelves but is behind the counter. It's almost $30.00 a box but it has a lot in it. I was actually told to get it by my neurologist to help prevent migraines but I use it more for cramps and it works.
    Also, a lack of potassium can cause cramps. Foods that have a lot of potassium are broccoli, potatoes, then bananas. There are also supplements but they usually don't have much potassium in them, even the ones labeled potassium!
    Stay hydrated! I don't know about you but I hate drinking water. I only get thirsty when it's super hot out. I don't even like to drink when I'm working out/running. What helps me drink more is flavored water. No cals. either. There is also a low cal gatorade drink that has electrolytes in it. And at a running store I go to, they sell flavored tablets you can drop into a bottle of water. I don't care for them myself tho. lol
    It's not hard with the types of food most of us eat, but maybe you're low on sodium? Make sure you're getting some from somewhere.
    Lastly, when I started exercising my calves cramped horribly, mostly after I stopped. Until I found my 'cures', I had to rub them hard with 'in shower' lotion, til the shower head and aim hot water on them for a while, then rub them again with lotion when I got out of the shower. It always made it stop but it's nicer to avoid it in the first place!
    Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you!
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    OMG, I meant Tonic Water...........that helps tremendously.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I get these periodically. Usually a sign that I am overtraining to the point that I'm throwing things out of ballance. They last for a week or so then go away. Make sure to take your off days, or have some light days, drink water, suplement your vitamins and minerals, and generally take care of yourself.
  • charlafraley
    Options
    this will sound funny but take a tablespoon of regular table mustard, it works everytime. I have told perople about it for years and have done it myself for years and it is the best thing to instantly stop the cramp, I had reconstructive foot surgery years ago and cramping in my foot and leg is a problem I suffer from and this has helped me a lot. I read about it in a medical column in our local newspaper a few years ago and tried it. I even keep little individual packets with me when I travel.