Gained Weight..could this be a stall

Options
I have been doing this for 27 days and have lost 7.6 pounds but this last week shows I have gained back 3 pounds. WTF..I have worked my excercise up to 60 minutes a day on a stationary bike at very light active (used to only be able to do 15 minutes of exercise) and have stayed under my calorie count daily or evened it out in the weekly goal. Could this be a stall or something else?
I measure all of my foods and count every bite I take. Yes this week I have eaten pizza and taco time while on the go in town but still I made sure I stayed under my goal.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    sodium will make you gain like that. Could be you were eating lower sodium and then the pizza/taco thing made you gain water weight. Also..exercise makes people retain more fluid in muscle tissue for a temporary period of time. So, could be you increasing workouts as well. I know it is discouraging.. I hate not seeing the number on the scale go down. But keep with it..the bod will drop the weight.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    sodium is usually to blame for a 3 pound gain. However, a back up in the bowels can do it as well. Don't stress and watch and see. It will disappear in a couple of days.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Sodium will make your weight jump up all of a sudden. Your weight should probably go back to normal in a couple days. Just make sure you're drinking a lot of water.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree. Drinking water will help flush the sodium. I had a friend whose weight loss stopped and she started to increase her drinking of water and the weight started dropping again. It couldn't hurt to increase it and see if it makes a difference for you. I did notice you don't document about how many glasses you drink daily. Do you drink 8 or more?

Monica
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Since you've upped your workouts, you may need to up your calorie intake as well. Your body needs food. If you are working out that much, you need to be eating more.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and the problem might be that 1200 is too low for you right now. At your current weight (and an average height b/c I guessed) you'd have a BMR of 1557. So you're not eating enough to fuel your body at 1200. I would suggest upping that to around 1500. and eat back your exercise calories all of them if you use a HRM and 50-75% if using MFP estimates (b/c they are always too high).

Also others said sodium could be a factor causing water retnetion and they are right. However, you may also be storing extra water and glycogen in your muscles b/c you are working them a lot harder then they are used to. It just talkes time for that to even out. So try taking measurements instead of watching the scale often measurements will go down and you'll lose inches and then all the sudden your body will release some of that water/glycogen and woosh off comes a couple pounds.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Its not really possible to gain a legit 3 pounds without a lot of excess calories. Stop stressing and overthinking it; It's just water retention. It happens. Especially with high sodium food like pizza. Just continue as you are and make sure your eating enough calories so that you don't come to a stall.
  • sissy1981
    Options
    When you work out you also build muscle which is heavier than fat so ths could also be a factor this also happens to me from time to time stick at it, don't get disheartened and it will come off xx
  • live2love2012
    Options
    Its not really possible to gain a legit 3 pounds without a lot of excess calories. Stop stressing and overthinking it; It's just water retention. It happens. Especially with high sodium food like pizza. Just continue as you are and make sure your eating enough calories so that you don't come to a stall.

I agree, sodium is usually the cause of a little scale jump. For me it's always a week before my monthly "visitor" comes. I seem to retain a ton of water! I used to freak out, especially because I would crave salty snacks for a week straight! But now that I know the cause I try and make smarter choices and know that "This too shall pass!" Keep up the hard work and don't get discouraged :)
  • Walternator
    Walternator Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't get too fixated on the scale. I have had swings of up to 5 lbs in a 24 hour period. There is no way that is a change in the fat content of my body. Just my opinion, but I believe that true fat loss is better measured by comparing your present weight AND measurements to what they were a month a ago. In other words, don't compare today's weight/measurments against yesterdays, or even last weeks. Compare them to what they were last month. There are just too many other factors affecting weight that can give you an accurate picture of your progress on a day to day basis.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    All of you, Thank you I do feel better after reading your replys. I do drink alot of water, I always have a bottle with me and drink all day long. I just don't track cause it is such a pain to record every glass. I think you are probably right about the salt and the fast food salt. I was just a little freaked cause I have a weigh in with my doctor wednesday and I don't want him to think I am not trying. See, if he thinks I am not taking this seriously then he won't either. I guess I can take copies of my diary and show him that. Also if I don't lose this week then I will take your advice and up my calories and eat back the excercise calories see what that does. I know I would sure enjoy it.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that quite yet. I lose weight in chunks and then stay at the same weight for a couple of weeks. Everyone's body releases weight differently. I would say keep doing what you are doing and maybe watch your sodium a bit.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Take it easy. Probably just a little too much salt, causing you to retain water.

One thing. Try to vary your workouts. If you do the same thing every day, your body will quickly adjust.