I am taunted by neighbours when I run up the street

Options

Replies

• luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Toooo many pages to read... Ummmm...people are a-holes and NO you shouldn't "Expect" comments when you run by...what morons these people are...I would have asked her if she "Expects" the comments about how UGLY she is..when she goes outside....I know that responding this way doesn't make things right but this kind of stuff makes me friggin angry...

Stay away from these people but if you clearly hear them say something about you then stand up for yourself, bullies generally go away after you show them you aren't a pushover..
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You have pages of responses that I haven't read yet - I just wanted to say that I'm so sad/angry to hear that anyone mocks you while you run, let alone your neighbors! That's awful. I'm so sorry you're subjected to that. If I were you, I would:
    (1) wear headphones (I do this anyway when I run, I get too bored otherwise)
    (2) find dedicated walking/jogging trails rather than run in neighborhoods. I find that people out on the trail are SO MUCH nicer. Everyone is there for a united goal (fitness, or possibly dog walking) so there are always lots of "Hi!" and "Good morning!" greetings to be had. I've never heard a negative word.
    (3) find a local public track you can run at. There's a track I can drive to that is as diverse as can be. There are crazy fit people, there are people walking with the assitance of a cane. There's a mom pushing her identical triplets in a jogging stroller. There are young people, there are old people, there are all different ethnicities, it's awesome. You would only find encouragement somewhere like that!

ETA: I also wanted to say you have beautiful kids!
  • urbs2huds
    urbs2huds Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't pay any attention to ignorant people. I know it hurts, but all of your hard work will soon pay off. Just put your headphones in, turn your music up, and look straight ahead. Anyone that cannot appreciate you for trying to better yourself is not worth any of your time. All of these trials will make you a better person in the end ... on the inside and out. I am a size 30W and I have had several comments said to me as well. I always think of this motto when I hear ugly remarks, "I am losing the weight, but they'll always be ignorant." Stay strong and KEEP ON MOVING!

-Lisa
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You keep doing your thing. At least you are out there doing something that you enjoy and are getting exercise too. Take you some headphones , and next time someone says something, tell them to kiss your @$$ as you run away!
  • _Brown_Eyed_Girl_
    _Brown_Eyed_Girl_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Keep on doing what you're doing! People can be so inconsiderate and horrible. Just remember that what they are saying is a reflection of themselves. They just wish they could be as proactive as you!!!
  • throop66
    throop66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep running, your neighbors are jerks...........you are the better person.......don't let them bring you down......you are beautiful, kind, and important!!!!!!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You're definitely the bigger person and I'm so proud of you and your hard work thus far! I agree with everyone else about putting on headphones and maybe running a different time of day so that it will be easier for you to get out there and go. Childhood bullies are bad enough, but adults are so much worse. Too bad this child has been taught by his parents own actions that it's okay to be a bully! Keep on runnin' girl! It wont be long before they'll be eating their own words! Keep up the good work!
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You keep running and pay them no attention. Like everyone else said put your headphones on and run. Some people are just rude and are raising their children to be just as rude as them. I would feel sorry for that poor child being raised by those fools. YOU KEEP RUNNING!
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just experienced this for the first time this weekend. I have been running over a year and have never had anyone say something nasty to me, looks yes...but never vocal. This past weekend I was running and there were these two boys, 8 and 16 on bikes. They had just stopped at what looked like there house, and as I was running by the older boy yelled "YOU'RE FAT!" I wasn't completely sure he was talking to me because it was in the middle of me pulling out my earphone (which I always do when I pass someone)...so I turned around and they were looking at me...I left it alone but I am determined if they harrass me again in the future I will be stopping by their house to let their family know and if they don't care...I will have the cops make a quick stop at the house and scare the crap out of them.
    Don't stop...keep going!!! You have come too far for some idiots to tell you about yourself. Go a different path. Believe me...it has nothing to do with your size...I was a 16 and now a 6 and even at a 6 I'm getting told I'm fat!
    They don't know what you have accomplished...they are idiots!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    God I just find this so hard to understand.these people move in total strangers have no idea who you are and act like this,its even worse thst yhis is acceptable from their young son.Discourteous behaviour is never acceptable from anyone stranders or not,you are doing so well to rise above it and stay ip thete they have nig issues not uou!
  • Hourglass_Lass
    Hourglass_Lass Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm an American who lived in England for seven years; two years in Notts and the rest just outside of Leeds. I know the exact type of people you mean, basically chavs who have no empathy or sympathy for anyone, including themselves and their own offspring. Personally, I put them up there somewhere between sociopaths and food poisoning. These are the same people who, when their child cries, they tell them to "Shut the F- up or I'll give you sommink to cry about." Saw that happen first-hand outside the solicitor's office where I worked, but you have to remember: You can't fix stupid and you can't buy class.

You. Are. Amazing! Even when I was fit I couldn't run like you and I'd give anything if I could. So either do what some others have suggested and wear your MP3 player, smile and wave when they taunt you or just laugh. Laugh for all you're worth at the fact that one day soon you'll be heading out one night, looking stunning in your well-fitted clothes and heels. The guy will drown in his own drool and his slapper of a wife will be eaten from the inside out with jealousy!

And please remember one thing: A foul-mannered, nasty, ill-meaning person will always be ugly no matter their face, size or shape. You're beautiful from the inside out and what comes around goes around. Just have some popcorn ready to sit and watch when they get their comeuppance. :wink:

Here for support whenever you need it! Add me a friend if you'd like and we can have some giggles!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I'm fat and I run.

I run for my health and because I enjoy it.

I am over 13 stone and a size 16 (down from 18 stone and size 24).

I now can run continuously for 2 hours covering 8.5 miles and I am proud of this and enjoy running :)

But I get a lot of negative comments from strangers, normally from young males who wind their windows down to shout comments at me as they drive past. Luckily I am hard of hearing so I miss the actual words screamed at me but it is clear from facial expressions and tones that the comments are negative...I ignore and keep on running.

A few weeks ago, new neighbours have taken on a house which needs a lot of building work done on it and hence are frequently outside the building and their young son has taken to pointing laughing and making various remarks about running and my weight, to and at me, which I ignore as he is a young child (around 8yo) and knows no better.

Then I 'met' his father, who joined in with his son and shouted so loudly across the road that I heard him clearly, despite my deafness/hard of hearing issues. He pretended to speak in the affections of a person with special needs and screamed 'Run Forest, Run' at me.

I crossed the road and asked him not to call me names in the street. He sneered and said he was only singing as I ran past and didn't get 'my ****ing problem'. When I explained that I received enough comments from strangers and expected my new neighbours to be more courteous. His wife screamed from an upper store window, that I was '****ing over reacting' and that I should '*expect* comments when I run outside'.

Am I being unreasonable to expect neighbours to be polite to each other, not to mock them ?

I accept strangers might be nasty but is it acceptable to be pointed at, laughed at and name called on my door step....as I am *fat* and I run outside.

I may be old fashioned but I operate on the 'if you can't say anything nice, say nothing' policy and would never shout at strangers on the street.

Sigh, this won't stop me running but it just makes it harder for me to get out there. Why be nasty for no reason ?

Please post their address so we can all write them some mail. Im sure a new neighbor would love to have lots of mail at their new house.

Ignore them... The 8yo is plenty old enough to know better and its plain that his ignorance is taught to him by his moronic father and his dumb See you next Tuesday Wife.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all 18 pages.

That is horrible.

I think you should video tape it next time and post it on you tube and then send it to the local media. Name names. And post addresses.

Bullies need to know that this type of behaviour is no longer going to be tolerated.

If they think you are over reacting and you should expect comments like that. Put it out there in the court of public opinion.

Will they really stand behind their words or will they cower in the corner like they expect you to.

Actually, that is a very good idea. There was just a video that made the national news here in the US. A man and his son were filmed imitating the walk of a young girl with cerebral palsy as she got off the school bus. It was awful but it did my heart good to see him and his son raked over the coals for bullying.

Good idea! I was thinking that there might even be an obscenity law in your area. Some towns will fine you if your caught cussing in public. At the very least they are bullies and should be outed and made to be ashamed of their actions. There was something in the news about a women who bullied a little girl. This girl was undergoing chemo by the way and the neighbor across the street yelled out her door that it would sever her right if she died and other nasty comments like that. It wasn't till the media got involved and knocked on her door, showed her video of her taunts to this sick little girl and asked her what she had to say for herself. Of course she made excuses and blamed the sick little girl. Everyone rallied around the little girl and her family and when that little girl would leave her house for her chemo people were out there ready and waiting for that nasty women to come outside and try something. She did and they fired right back at her. For the life of me I don't know why some people are such ***holes.

edited to add the link to this story The little girl passed away.
    http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=113901
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    This makes me SO angry. I wish there were something I could do to teach those people a lesson. It is just appalling what they did and no it is not acceptable. I'm so sorry.

You are amazing and I applaud you for what you are doing. Please don't let anyone stop you from doing what's best for you. Lots of love and positive vibes your way.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    We are a severely flawed species, us humans. It sucks, but the only thing you can do is ignore it. Oh, and good for you for running (seriously) - major props!
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That is terrible! I feel bad for you because I know how it feels to have people make nasty comments to me. Like others have said, just keep running, blare your music and don't let them get you down. I just don't understand people sometimes...
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Shout back, shoot them the finger, put in headphones so you dont hear them.

youre not running for them.

and if they keep it up, chase them down. thatll shut them up.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    God I just find this so hard to understand.these people move in total strangers have no idea who you are and act like this,its even worse thst yhis is acceptable from their young son.Discourteous behaviour is never acceptable from anyone stranders or not,you are doing so well to rise above it and stay ip thete they have nig issues not uou!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have no words that could cover how shocked I am at how your neighbours and other people are acting :noway: :noway: :noway: . I have to say that I am massively in awe of you for not letting these morons stop you from going out. Most people (including myself) would give up and let idiots like that win. You are amazing :flowerforyou:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    here is the story I was talking about. The girl passed away. But they show in the video this nasty neighbor and how she taunted the little girl in person and online. Just sick!
    http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=113901