Weight Strength Training and Weight Loss

Options
Since I have been doing strength training 3 days a week, I find that my weight loss is slowing down as I build up muscle and tone. Does any one know what I can do to continue to lose my weight goal of 2lbs per week? I find that I am not that hungry so I only eat about 1200/day. This is not net calories but total calories.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    you wont be gaining muscle on 1200 cals/day, what you are experiencing is your muscles retaining water to protect them and aid in recovery. Once you get use the the new routine your muscles will shed much of the excess water. Strength training helps ensure that a large % of your loss comes from fat, then diet or diet and cardio alone.

If you don't want to lose lean muscle, you should also be eating much more than 1200 calories, and make sure you get adequate protein intake
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    part of the reason why your weight loss is slowing down is because you are retaining more muscle when you are losing. A pound of weight loss isn't all fat... you lose some muscle with that. If you weight train, you keep more muscle and lose more fat per pound.

I say that to say this... maybe it isn't a bad thing that you have slowed down. Also, you might want to bump your caloric intake. 1200 seems pretty low if you are lifting weights and doing cardio.
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat, so the scale won't move too much when you do weight training, but you will continue to lose fat measured in inches lost and your clothes will fit much looser. Since you are weight training, you want to shoot for around 100g of protein per day.
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Right now I eat about 75-80 grams of protein a day but I can up that. I just do not want to add to much fat or sodium. My family has a history of high blood pressure and I am trying to avoid it. So far, I have done it and pray that I can continue to do so. My clothes are much looser. I have dropped 2 clothes sizes. I thank you all for your encouragement and suggestions.
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    I shoot for 100...average around 90, and my sodium is never over 2k. I'm always on google and pintrest for high protein meals. Sometimes they are not always good in taste (like the avacado tuna fish sandwich I had for lunch) but they are worth it. CONGRATS ON YOUR SUCCESS!!!!