A dork who can't do math....HELP!

Options
HELP!

My BMR is 1802. My TDEE is 2163. I know, from my research, that these two sets of numbers should help me factor out how many calories I should be eating and, thus expending. Yet somehow, my brain refuses to compute. Can you help me?

My goal is to lose no more than 1.5 pounds a week (in it for the long haul, not the quick fix).

MANY thanks in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Note: Currently I eat 1400 per day, and exercise 3-4x a week, averaging about 200-300 calories burned per workout. My macros are set to 35/35/30, if that's any help. I also do my best to avoid any added sugars, within reason.

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Set your calorie goal on MFP to 1400 and eat back your exercise calories.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    To maintain your current weight, eat 2163 calories a day.

To lose gradually, take 15 percent off your TDEE = 1838 calories a day.

If that factors in your exercise sessions, you're all set. Otherwise you'll need to eat more on days you exercise.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    TDEE 2163

TDEE - 20% = 1730 (432 calorie deficit).

Go ahead and round to 500 cal deficit. 1663 (2163-500) calories per day for 1 lb/week weight loss.
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    You're currently operating at a deficit of 361 calories / day.

Typically, burning a lb. / week means that you have to create a deficit of 3,000 calories over the course of one week. A 1.5 lb weekly lose would need a weekly deficit of 4,500 calories (or 642 calories / day below your TDEE).

You should be aiming for 1520 calories / day (netted).

If you didn't exercise, you would be looking to take in around 1,200 calories / day.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Eat 500 calories under your TDEE, so around 1650 and don't eat back your exercise calories. Try this for 3 weeks with weekly weigh ins. If you aren't losing by the 3rd week, eat back 1/2 of your exercise calories and try this for 3 weeks. Don't get frustrated if the scale doesn't move the first 2 weeks, it takes your body time to adjust. That would make it so you lose 1 pound per week (which IMO, is the best way to to go).

No one's body is exactly like everyone else's, you have to find what works for you, but it takes a few weeks for your body to respond to changes.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do eat my exercise calories back...Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it! :)
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The way I would go about it is subtracting the desired calorie deficit from your TDEE. If you want to lose 1 lb a week, the daily calorie deficit should be 500 kcal. More if you want to lose more.

If 2163 is indeed your TDEE, then 2163-500=1663 kcal. Depending on whether your TDEE already contains your exercise or not, you either do or don't eat back your exercise calories.

Hope this helps.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Depending on whether your TDEE already contains your exercise or not, you either do or don't eat back your exercise calories.

TDEE includes exercise. It doesn't "depend".
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This is all helpful information. THANKS EVERYONE!! :)