Your Bowl of Greens

Options
What do you add to your salad to elevate it above "rabbit food"?

ETA: This afternoon I am experiencing a bizarre, very-atypical-for-me craving for, of all things, the rabbit food. For lunch I had a big bowl of romaine with roasted bell peppers and feta, followed by a bowl of romaine with picante sauce and crushed pineapple, followed by an encore appearance of the latter. I expect my nose to start twitching any moment now.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat green salads but when I do I like something like boiled eggs, cottage cheese, or tofu on it.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    cheese, eggs, lean deli meat, bacon, avocado, nuts, grilled chicken or salmon...the possibilities are only as limited as your imagination.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like lots of stuff in my salads - mix of different greens, cabbage, pickles or olives, chopped meat, cheese, dried fruit, tomatoes, nuts and/or seeds, beans - all kinds of things. I really like taco salads made low fat, for example.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have two salads that I alternate back and forth between: Lettuce, low-sodium tuna, cucumber slices and grapes. OR Lettuce, grilled chicken and pears. The fruit adds a nice twist. So do shredded carrots!! :smile:
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Unless someone else is making me a big *kitten* salad, I don't like them. I much prefer to eat all the parts of the salad separately, for some reason. And I'm not a huge fan of lettuce... I'd rather get my greens from sauteed chard or kale or spinach than lettuce.

I peel a couple of whole carrots, slice a 1/2 cucumber, a couple of celery sticks with cream cheese or hummus or nut butter, maybe an ounce of yummy cheese, some sort of protein, and some berries. For some reason, eating them all individually fills me up more and is more satisfying. For dressing, sometimes I mix pesto with greek yogurt, or green goddess herbs with greek yogurt.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    homemade ceasar dressing
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    wasabi peas, dried cranberries, smoked almonds... mmmm I think I need a salad
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Spinach Salad with fresh strawberries, blueberries & walnuts... Raspberry Walnut vinegrette (homemade or Ken's)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    In my family, we all like the lettuce best !

We add red peppers, purple cabbage, scallions or red onions, and cauliflower mainly. Tomatoes are an extra treat.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump for some more ideas
    As for me, I usually like hard boiled eggs with cherry tomatoes, low fat feta cheese, onions and low fat balsamic vinaigrette
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My go to is greens, tomato, onion, cucumber, white mushrooms, and boiled egg...nom
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Nuts, yummy feta, and a savory balsamic.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Nuts or sunflower seeds and craisins
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have a salad every day for lunch at uni and love them! My usual salad toppings are cubed beetroot, grated carrot, sliced radishes, cucumber and tomato wedges, and some cubed tofu. Sometimes I oven roast (with a teaspoon of oil) baby carrots, halved beetroot, and parsnips- chilled and on salads these are so good.
    If I wasn't allergic i'd add nuts too (like walnuts or pine nuts) and i'm vegan so I can't have dairy but I imagine adding goats cheese with nuts and dried fruit (like cranberries) would be awesome too.

Something which makes them amazingly good is adding fresh herbs (eg. a handful of chopped parsley, coriander, basil, chives, whatever). Then I add a squeeze of lemon juice and it's good to eat (:
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds, cheese, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, and croutons.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    SALSA! Fave is Mango or I will also take Black Bean and Corn. Also, try marinading your tofu or chicken with different flavors. I make a mean Buffalo Chix Salad that way!
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Eggs, nuts, avocado, goat cheese, honey mustard dressing, chicken, turkey, grapes, apples, pears, strawberry....
  • wick09
    wick09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the only one that likes the Plain Jane salad :). Lettuce, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, and french dressing.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    What do you add to your salad to elevate it above "rabbit food"?

Kale, baby spinach, arugula. Sometimes carrots. Usually a 1/4 cup of beans and some nuts.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    If I could have everything on hand: Radishes, shredded carrots, red onion, cheese, sunflower seeds, tomatoes and hard boiled egg.

Usually at home I have none of those things. I stick with meat of some kind, shredded cheese and salsa or tomatoes.