Your Bowl of Greens

Options

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I put tons of stuff in my salads! Bell peppers (red, green and yellow), onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, black beans, crumbled seasoned tofu, kidney beans, corn, cranberries, sunflower seeds, etc. Not all of these go in every salad obviously, but some combination.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I make my own dressings, it's easy, fast & healthier. I like a Mexican style salad w/ chicken or beef, avocado, queso fresca, salsa & cilantro. Asian style salad w/ chicken or shrimp, mandarin oranges, toasted sesame seeds, homemade dressing. (olive or sesame oil vinegar, dash of soy sauce, ginger) Steak & sundried tomatoes on shredded romaine w/ homemade Dijon vinaigrette. (olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard)

Waldorf: chicken, grapes, mayo, walnuts, celery and apple on romaine.

Turkey w/ sliced pears, walnuts blue cheese or feta, oil & vinegar.

tuna w/ julienne carrots, green raisins, mayo, walnuts on greens.

spinach, walnuts, chicken, strawberries, maple dressing (maple syrup, vinegar, olive oil)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    When I do make salads, I love to make creative ones. I would add canned veggie, like green beans, gabanzo beans, corn, peas, etc. I love tomatoes, cheese, and some type of meat in it too.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Diced chicken, boiled egg, bacon bits, tomato, cucumbers, and cheese
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    bacon
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Tuna, egg and sweet chilli sauce :-) lots of protein, low carb, fiber... A little fat
    Very filling, very satisfying meal for me! Love it x
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I'm a sucker for that Southwest Dressing from McDonalds. It's sooooooo good. I need to find a way to buy that stuff in bulk. I'd eat salads a lot more if I had it.
  • Hellguy76137
    Hellguy76137 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In truth, nothing. I am eating a bowl of fresh spinach leaves with a little lime juice and some powdered Italian Dressing mix. Low calorie, nutrient dense and WONDERFUL
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for that Southwest Dressing from McDonalds. It's sooooooo good. I need to find a way to buy that stuff in bulk. I'd eat salads a lot more if I had it.

that stuff is soooo good :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cheese, sunflower seeds, and ranch dressing. *drool*
  • litaita
    litaita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In addition to more veggies (cucumbers, tomatoes, green/red peppers and onions), I find that feta cheese, nuts and a fruit like grapes or chopped apples make the salad really special. Tend to make an olive oil/balsalmic dressing with salt, pepper and the tiniest pinch of sugar.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's always different -- I top salad with whatever I need/want. A favorite, though, is hard-boiled egg and/or cottage cheese. I also especially like sunflower seeds and red onions.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Rabbit
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, creativity abounds!

This afternoon I am experiencing a bizarre, very-atypical-for-me craving for, of all things, the rabbit food. For lunch I had a big bowl of romaine with roasted bell peppers and feta, followed by a bowl of romaine with picante sauce and crushed pineapple, followed by an encore appearance of the latter. I expect my nose to start twitching any moment now.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    What do you add to your salad to elevate it above "rabbit food"?

ETA: This afternoon I am experiencing a bizarre, very-atypical-for-me craving for, of all things, the rabbit food. For lunch I had a big bowl of romaine with roasted bell peppers and feta, followed by a bowl of romaine with picante sauce and crushed pineapple, followed by an encore appearance of the latter. I expect my nose to start twitching any moment now.

Boneless, skinless baked rabbit, bacon, some chicken, sunflower seeds, strips of beef, croutons, and ranch dressing.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I like to make a kale salad with
    -kale (obviously)
    -carrots
    -grape tomatoes
    -red pepper
    -cucumber
    -craisins
    -raisins
    -walnuts

I get sick of salads sometimes, but I find that one always fills me up and is delicious.

I also like to make a salad out of avocado, tomato and cucumber and top with freshly squeezed lemon.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I make kale salads, too - with any of the following:

- other greens
    - carrots
    - grape tomatoes
    - onion
    - raisins
    - walnuts or almond slivers
    - soy beans (edamame, shelled)
    - cranberries, craisins
    - broccoli
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Spinach, strawberries, walnuts and goat cheese topped with at tiny bit of raspberry balsamic. Second fave, spinach, basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella with pesto.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Spinach Salad with fresh strawberries, blueberries & walnuts... Raspberry Walnut vinegrette (homemade or Ken's)

this is soooo good! there was a packaged salad mix that my boyfriends grandma had, and it came with all of the above, except it was almond slivers instead of walnuts! so yummy
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the only one that likes the Plain Jane salad :). Lettuce, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, and french dressing.

I like Lettuce, red onion, cucumbers, tomato and light ranch, I thought I was alone LOL There is nothing wrong with a plain Jane salad. I might get crazy sometimes and add some crutons.