Flexible Dieting = Success (rant)

Options
13»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Do I only eat 'clean' food? No. Especially since no one seems to agree on 'clean'.

But low glycemic foods seem to really help me not be hungry and to lose weight easily. They're 'clean' in that they are less processed.

So I limit my fruits and maybe have 8 oz of juice every few days. Ice cream is wonderful in 1/4 cup lots. Sugar in coffee down to two teaspoons a week. Chocolate a square at a time.

Treats are supposed to be, well, treats!

My goal for weight loss is to avoid getting diabetes.

People who lose and keep it off tend to be people who exercise and are flexible in what they eat. I am not giving up cake and chocolate the rest of my life.

And they taste SO GOOD when you eat them infrequently.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I do clean eating with a twist. I try to limit eating processed snacks(my biggest problem) but I pretty much eat everything else within reason. I do have a cheat day every once in awhile :)
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When it comes right down to it, it is all about choices. You can choose to eat whichever way you like, just be mindful of your marcos and dietary requirements. Plus, keep your hunger in check.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You're body sees macronutrients and micronutrients not food names. As long as you are consuming a suitable amount of macronutrients (will differ from person to person and type of training) and getting adequate micronutrients then atheletic performance should be fine.

Not true exactly. Certain foods require more resources for the body to break down than others. This is a kind of physiologic stress and inhibits recovery.

You mean like protein?

No. Protein is essential for recovery. Although it is true that is is inefficient as an energy source.

Just because a food item has a nutrient doesn't mean it is bio-available, or readily bio-available. Think of the the calcium in milk. Milk has calcium so it's therefore supposed to be good for your bones. Wrong! The calcium in milk isn't bio-available. That's why they add Vitamin-D to Milk. Even then it's poorly assimilated.

Certain foods also create a variety of inflammatory, immune and stress responses. While it's true many of these responses are unique to the individual, they are real. Most processed foods have wheat, corn and dairy. All common allergens. The inflammatory response to these foods for someone who is sensitive to these things WILL INHIBIT WEIGHT LOSS. Eliminating these foods will also quickly result in reduction of bloating and water weight. That's partly why many people associate clean eating with aiding their diet success.

We're talking about "clean eating." Everyone has a different idea of what exactly that means in practice. But the purpose of eating clean is to reduce or eliminate exposure to common allergens, artificial chemicals and to maximize nutrition. You're right that it isn't inherently a weight-loss strategy. But things are more complicated than that.
    e.g. 2 weeks ago I was on a VLC diet that was 100% "clean" foods. (lean meats, fibrous veggies only) Training SUCKED! Was a mission just to get through each session. Finish diet, refeed with high cals/carbs and a heap of "junk" food (fruit toast, pancakes, pop tarts etc) and next session set new PB's. :smile:

That's because you made too drastic a change too quickly and didn't give your body enough time to adjust before you rushed to judgement.

Could you please forward you're thoughts to Lyle McDonald. I'm sure he'll be happy to learn something.

I'm glad you have AN expert you rely on. (If only he was or claimed to be an expert in clean eating).

Look obviously you did something wrong. If you were eating enough of the clean diet, and the body doesn't see food labels, you SHOULD NOT have had poorer athletic performance when you switched the diet. After all "You're body sees macronutrients and micronutrients not food names."