1700 cals of Junk vs 1700cals of clean eating....

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Science disagrees with this statement. As long as you get your required macronutrients and micronutrients, how "clean" your diet is makes no difference to your health.

Do you have any support for that statement? As far as I know, there is no such study which proves that. Given the inherent difficulty of studying diets and longevity in humans, there isn't much good data out there on this topic (or a lot of diet topics). However, most data indicates that eating clean would most likely lead to longer life. For example, good luck getting the daily recommended amount of fiber from fast food.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Eating clean isn't just about weight loss. There isn't just one way to lose weight, and if you want to fill your calories with junk and that works for you then great. The thing about clean eating is that 1700 cals of nutritious, healthy food goes A LOT further than 1700 cals worth of junk!
    Science disagrees with this statement. As long as you get your required macronutrients and micronutrients, how "clean" your diet is makes no difference to your health.

I wasn't talking about macronutrients or health, just the pure caloric values of those foods.

I can fit A LOT more food into my 1200 calories a day with "clean" foods (ie fruit, veggies and lean meats) than I can eating processed "junk" foods.
    It's still the same number of calories, your body will use both of them the same way.

cholesterol, potassium, sodium.

get too much of those and your arteries harden and clog and high potassium can kill you.

your argument is invalid.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Do you have any support for that statement? As far as I know, there is no such study which proves that. Given the inherent difficulty of studying diets and longevity in humans, there isn't much good data out there on this topic (or a lot of diet topics). However, most data indicates that eating clean would most likely lead to longer life. For example, good luck getting the daily recommended amount of fiber from fast food.
    You're going to extremes. I never said anything about eating all fast food. I said, "get all your required macro and micro nutrients." There are many studies comparing various diets, from comparing paleo style food, to vegetarian and vegan diets, and even the Twinkie diet, and the scientific consensus seems to be that getting the appropriate amount of nutrients is far more important than which specific foods you choose.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Just curious what people think....I see a few diaries now and then, of people who eat out everyday. They eat crap for most of their meals, no fruit, no veggies, calorie laden beverages, skip other meals, but manage to stay within budget. Then, there are people who eat clean, and stay within their calorie budget.

Will the junk food junkie still lose weight?
    Will the clean eater lose more than junk food junkie?

We all know that junk food can cause more health problems than just weight gain....So my question is: Is one calorie deficit better than the other?

BTW- I like to think of myself as somewhere in-between the junk food junkie, and a clean eater....lol....I just can't seem to give up ALL the junk food :) !

assuming that macro ratios are the same... and micronutrient amounts are the same.. and fiber is the same... then it doesnt matter which one you eat..

volume of food will be lower however with junk food than with "healthy" food.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Eating clean isn't just about weight loss. There isn't just one way to lose weight, and if you want to fill your calories with junk and that works for you then great. The thing about clean eating is that 1700 cals of nutritious, healthy food goes A LOT further than 1700 cals worth of junk!

I wasn't talking about macronutrients or health, just the pure caloric values of those foods.

I can fit A LOT more food into my 1200 calories a day with "clean" foods (ie fruit, veggies and lean meats) than I can eating processed "junk" foods.
    It's still the same number of calories, your body will use both of them the same way.

get too much of those and your arteries harden and clog and high potassium can kill you.

How exactly do you figure? Get too much of anything is bad in your diet. Too much water can also kill you. I think you need to try a little harder than making generic statements of "too much food can kill you" to invalidate an argument that specifically states "getting the required amount of macro and micronutrients." Reading comprehension lesson, "getting the required amount" means not too little, and not too much. Also, fresh fruits, veggies, and lean meats will have far higher levels of potassium than "junk food," so if anything, you're invalidating the argument for clean eating.

Also, there is absolutely no scientific evidence of cholesterol and sodium hardening your arteries. You may want to do some actual research before you try and invalidate someone's argument with made up information.
  • jamesbeckmann
    jamesbeckmann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is a tough topic to really answer. In truth even though they are staying within their budget's they are probably consuming a ton of salt which can cause you to bloat and retain water. The same goes for consuming excess fat. For maximum results clean calories are preferred.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Just curious what people think....I see a few diaries now and then, of people who eat out everyday. They eat crap for most of their meals, no fruit, no veggies, calorie laden beverages, skip other meals, but manage to stay within budget. Then, there are people who eat clean, and stay within their calorie budget.

Will the junk food junkie still lose weight?
    Will the clean eater lose more than junk food junkie?

We all know that junk food can cause more health problems than just weight gain....So my question is: Is one calorie deficit better than the other?

For weight loss no it does not matter. You could lose weight eating Twinkies I think (didn't someone prove that already?). All that matters is calories for weight loss. I can't see why someone would do that though, you would feel like crap. What happened to the "fitness" part of MFP? If you want to perform well with any type of sports activity over time, the Twinkies will not be sustainable for you.

BTW- I like to think of myself as somewhere in-between the junk food junkie, and a clean eater....lol....I just can't seem to give up ALL the junk food :) !

Calories are all that matter. Didn't someone already prove this with the Twinkies diet? Of course you can lose weight just eating Twinkies if you eat low enough for a calorie deficit. I can't see why anyone would want to. It is unsustainable, especially if you want to perform at what ever your sport is. Isn't fitness part of MyFitnessPal?

Twinkie diet guy supplemented protein and some veg.....canned spinach I think? He didn't eat just twinkies.
    He had one protein shake, and a can of green beans every day. The rest of the 1800 calories he ate every day were made up of Twinkies and other snack cakes, chips, candy, sugary cereals, and other convenience store junk food.
  • nikilis
    Options

How exactly do you figure? Get too much of anything is bad in your diet. Too much water can also kill you. I think you need to try a little harder than making generic statements of "too much food can kill you" to invalidate an argument that specifically states "getting the required amount of macro and micronutrients." Reading comprehension lesson, "getting the required amount" means not too little, and not too much. Also, fresh fruits, veggies, and lean meats will have far higher levels of potassium than "junk food," so if anything, you're invalidating the argument for clean eating.

Also, there is absolutely no scientific evidence of cholesterol and sodium hardening your arteries. You may want to do some actual research before you try and invalidate someone's argument with made up information.

Seems like I touched a raw nerve there. Do you want to talk a about it, or do u needs minute? It's ok.

Thanks for the lessons man. Hahaha.

In the end it's simple, a balanced diet made up of whatever as long as it is in balance.

This entire thread is invalid. Just like a pound of feathers and a pound of rocks.

Edit: they both weigh the same - incase you didn't get it.

But I did enjoy watching you overreact, maybe you can do it again so I can overreact watching you overreact to you overreacting?

:)
  • sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    In high school I ate 3 square meals, home made and 2 snacks a day
    I weighed 190 ish
    After high school I lived on happy meals and vodka and lost 30 ish pounds

Obviously the second lifestyle was not good for me,
    however I lost a ton of weight.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

This makes complete sense. Weight loss is not always the top priority, some do care where there calories come from and want to fuel their bodies getting the most nutrients to fuel them. Just because you have a treat once in a while does not make you a junk food eater especially if the majority of your food is filled with good veggies, fruits healthy proteins and fats.

I have seen alot of people on here that their whole day consists of fast foods, its common sense that a diet like that is not the same healthwise and someone eating the healthier way. 1200 cals can easily consist of one fast food meal and that is no where near the same amount of food you get eating fruits, veggies, etc. there is nothing wrong with having treats but it shouldnt he your whole diet every day all day. I dont see how people can hit there macros eating that all the time, having little treats in your day is completely different.

As said many times, in terms of weight on the scale, yes both will lose. But there are way more benefits then just weight loss when you eat good healthy food the majority of the time.
  • caitles14
    Options
    Technically it's possible to lose eating junk food as long as you still have a calorie deficit...that being said, just because you can get skinny eating exclusively junk food doesn't mean you are necessarily HEALTHY! however, i truly believe moderation is key. i love my fruits and veggies, but if i couldn't have a glass of wine or dessert with my extra calories, i'd go crazy ;)
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Seems like I touched a raw nerve there. Do you want to talk a about it, or do u needs minute? It's ok.

In the end it's simple, a balanced diet made up of whatever as long as it is in balance.

This entire thread is invalid. Just like a pound of feathers and a pound of rocks.

But I did enjoy watching you overreact, maybe you can do it again so I can overreact watching you overreact to you overreacting?

frabz-The-force-is-dumb-with-this-one-822bd8.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This makes complete sense. Weight loss is not always the top priority, some do care where there calories come from and want to fuel their bodies getting the most nutrients to fuel them. Just because you have a treat once in a while does not make you a junk food eater especially if the majority of your food is filled with good veggies, fruits healthy proteins and fats.

I have seen alot of people on here that their whole day consists of fast foods, its common sense that a diet like that is not the same healthwise and someone eating the healthier way. 1200 cals can easily consist of one fast food meal and that is no where near the same amount of food you get eating fruits, veggies, etc. there is nothing wrong with having treats but it shouldnt he your whole diet every day all day. I dont see how people can hit there macros eating that all the time, having little treats in your day is completely different.

As said many times, in terms of weight on the scale, yes both will lose. But there are way more benefits then just weight loss when you eat good healthy food the majority of the time.

"Clean' or "Dirty" (whatever 'clean' means) does not mean that your diet has appropriate micronutrients or not. A point that seems to be being continually missed.
  • nikilis
    Options

lol. keep going. you will feel better once you get it all out.
  • lisamarie2181
    Options

"Clean' or "Dirty" (whatever 'clean' means) does not mean that your diet has appropriate micronutrients or not. A point that seems to be being continually missed.

I didnt say anything about clean, i said nutrient dense foods like veggies, fruits, proteins and such. Most people that defend junk food dont primarily eat junk, they eat a pretty balanced diet. I wouldn't put people that eat this way in the same category as a person that consumes nothing but fast food. Alot of fast food does not contain veggies or fruits, mostly fat, carbs and calories.

I want to be at my best health while losing weight, im not as worried about how fast the scale moves. That is my priority but that doesnt mean im saying it is everyone elses. It is your choice to eat how you want, but most people do know there is a difference between healthy nutrient dense food and unhealthy foods. Most people feel better, get sick less and have more energy when most of their diet contains these foods more then junk. Just because you have small indulgences in your diet i dont think makes you a junk food junkie.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I didnt say anything about clean, i said nutrient dense foods like veggies, fruits, proteins and such. Most people that defend junk food dont primarily eat junk, they eat a pretty balanced diet. I would put people that eat this way in the same category as a person that consumes nothing but fast food. Alot of fast food does not contain veggies or fruits, mostly fat, carbs and calories.

I want to be at my best health while losing weight, im not as worried about how fast the scale moves. That is my priority but that doesnt mean im saying it is everyone elses. It is your choice to eat how you want, but most people do know there is a difference between healthy nutrient dense food and unhealthy foods. Most people feel better, get sick less and have more energy when most of their diet contains these foods more then junk. Just because you have small indulgences in your diet i dont think makes you a junk food junkie.

Going back to the originally quoted post - "As long as you get your required macronutrients and micronutrients".
  • lisamarie2181
    Options

I didnt say anything about clean, i said nutrient dense foods like veggies, fruits, proteins and such. Most people that defend junk food dont primarily eat junk, they eat a pretty balanced diet. I would put people that eat this way in the same category as a person that consumes nothing but fast food. Alot of fast food does not contain veggies or fruits, mostly fat, carbs and calories.

Going back to the originally quoted post - "As long as you get your required macronutrients and micronutrients".

Sorry thought u were quoting mine lol im very careful of my words for that reason, sorry lol
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

lol. keep going. you will feel better once you get it all out.

26609270.jpg
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

The point is you're a lot more likely to get things like micronutrients, anti-oxidants, and fiber from "clean" foods than "dirty" foods. As I mentioned earlier, not many people are going to hit the recommended daily intake of fiber if they build their diets around "dirty" foods.

That said, there probably isn't anything wrong with some junk food and some fast food (at least I hope not b/c I eat plenty of junk food), but you'll likely be healthier if you primarily eat "clean" foods.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Tee Hee... I don't think there's much protein in a Twinkie.