Protien for breakfast

Options
13»

Replies

• bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast. I feel so much better and seem not to be as hungry thru the day. Egg beaters are good. I also eat a lot of protein thru the day. Fish and chicken either grilled, baked or stewed.
  • rslove76
    Options
    www.chikenutrition.com
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Found another good protein brekkie recipe: mini egg "muffins".

http://pinterest.com/pin/472807660849349676/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats...you can even make them with nuts for more protein...(and fruit is good in them too)...
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've trained myself to be able to eat practically anything for breakfast...so last night's dinner of chicken and vegetables works just fine for my breakfast meal.

I do have protein shakes, sausage, eggs, cheese, etc as well in the morning, don't get me wrong.

When I first started trying to get more protein in, the thought of meat in the morning made me physically nauseas (I was so used to carbs.) Now, I love the energy and not feeling hungry an hour later.
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The doctor and dietician have told me i need to get more protein at Breatfast. So i'm Looking for ideas of ways to get more protein at breakfast. Also wondering about a good protein shake?? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
    Lean protein is best of course. Bacon/sausage do have protein, but are mostly considered a fat source. Eggs have 7 grams each, 1 oz. of lean meat is 7 grams, low fat milk has 8 grams in 8 oz., cheese, cottage cheese, etc. have some. Greek yogurt ranges from 8-14 or so grams. 1 scoop of your average protein powder is 15 grams. etc. etc. etc. Good luck
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    There's lots of great suggestions here. One of my current favorites is a recipe I slightly modified (to a single serving size) from another post on the forums. It's called a crustless quiche. The basic recipe is 1/2 c. cottage cheese and 1 whole egg. Then you can add whatever you like for flavor. I usually sprinkle in a bit of onion and garlic powders and then add some combination of chopped onions, green onions, mushrooms, red peppers, zucchini, broccoli, chicken sausage, or cheese. My most common combination is a bit of onion and mushrooms. Just stir everything together, pour into a glass ramekin or other small oven-proof container and place in your oven or toaster oven at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes. One word of caution - be conservative with the cheese; the cottage cheese will already make it salty, and grated cheese will add to the salt.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters with fat free cheese in a low carb tortilla would equate to about 20 grams of protein. Add chicken or black beans for even more protein. You can mix flavored protein powder into greek yogurt. There are also recipes for protein powder bars, cookies, blondies, etc. that would taste awesome :smile:

Forget the egg beaters and eat real eggs! And why bother with fat free cheese? It's tasteless and not any healthier. Just eat less of the full fat versions.

I get where you are coming from with this, but some people are watching their saturated fat intake.

For example, a regular tortilla, 1/2 cup egg beaters, and 1 slice of fat free cheese would be about 200 calories and 0-2 grams of fat (depending on tortilla stats). This leaves room for almonds or something else that has healthier non-saturated fats. With the full-fat versions: 1 tortilla, 2 eggs and 1 slice of velveeta cheese would be 320 calories, 15-17 grams of fat (depending on tortilla stats) and 7 grams of saturated fat. That equates to about 25% of your daily fat intake, 33% of your daily saturated fat intake, and only 16% of calories on a 2000 diet. Not terrible, but not the leanest way to get your protein. Almonds with the fat-free version + almonds would also get in more protein for the same number of calories.

Not trying to start an argument, because the sodium in this meal would be high, but "healthy" is all relative.
  • simba01
    simba01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Kashi go lean cereal has high protein and fiber with soy milk (more protein), eggs & turkey bacon, oatmeal mixed with plain greek yogurt (no sugar) & fruit sweetened with Stevia.