What do you do for workouts?

Options
I workout twice a week at a gym. What does everyone else do? Would it speed up my weight loss if I worked out more than that?

Replies

• jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I basically work out between 4-5 times a week. 5-6 if you count the hip hop fitness cardio dance class I go to on Sundays...

My workouts lately have consisted of some abdominal exercises along with some resistance exercises, and my favorite form of exercise Zumba or cardio dance... I have to admit that I am addicted to Zumba and cardio dance... I know that sounds strange for a guy to say this... One of the reasons why I love Zumba and cardio dance is simply the fact that I feel more comfortable working out with women... At least where I live I am usually the only male on my Zumba and cardio dance classes...

As far as if my routine would work for anyone else, I don't think so... I say this because it depends on what your fitness goals are...
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    3 days dedicated to weight training, 2 days some form of cardio. All weight days have 10 minutes of warm up/cooldown and abdominal work.

Day 1
    Deadlift
    sumo deadlift
    squats

day 2/4
    random cardio while watching a 45 minute TV episode

Day 3
    bench press
    overhead press
    bent over row
    chin ups (three unassisted before assisted)
    assisted pullups

day 5
    clean and press
    push ups between clean sets
    some isolation work free weight and on machines like leg extensions
    barbell curls/concentration curls

6 and 7 rest
  • rachelandbsst
    Options
    One other thing. How many calories do you try to burn per workout?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    2-400 cardio, weights I don't even count but when I log it shows as 261. My HRM says a huge amount more. Closer to 500 for 40 minutes.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I do cardio MWF and TRX Tuesday and Thursday. Saturday I do weights. Sunday is my lazy day since it is also my only day off. If I can work it in I do enjoy a hike though.

Is it a perfect workout routine? I doubt it. But right now I just want to make it a lifestyle habit and I'm happy.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and use the weightlifting machines there on MWF, which I love and which is by far my preferred form of exercise. I have been doing this for years by now.

BUT.... I know that I should do at least some cardio too whether I like it or not. So, lately I have been riding my stationary bike at home on the other four days of the week.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    3 days per week I go to the gym and do a circuit type training (3 sets on two different weight machines, alternating with 2 minutes of treadmill on an incline) for about an hour. I alternate these gym days with either an hour of walking or a Zumba class 3 days per week. Sunday is my day off. I am getting consistent results with this schedule and feel really good. But I'm a post-menopausal woman so I literally have to beat the weight off!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    OP read this, your posts instantly reminded me of this blog.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/10/22/3-reasons-people-succeed/
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do body weight exercises and strength training on Mon, Wed, Fri with circuit class on Tue and Thur. I work as hard doing weights as I do doing circult - puffing and sweating my butt off. I don't calculate the calories burnt or monitor my heart, I just do what I enjoy and increase on what I did last time. Do what you enjoy rather than what will help you lose weight faster because you're more likely to stick to it longterm.
  • OlibecaMom
    Options
    I go 4x/week for 60 min each. I do Zumba twice and Zumba Sentao twice. It is the SINGLE thing that has motivated me to go the gym. Never, in my 39 years, have I ever had a desire to do anything related to exercise or working out until I tried Zumba. When I joined the gym, I set my goal on 3x/week and with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions, I've gone 4x/week for more than a year. In fact, this past Saturday, I did my normal class, a 2 hour Zumbathon, and a 1 1/2 hour Zumbathon. :) Best of luck to you!!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    OP read this, your posts instantly reminded me of this blog.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/10/22/3-reasons-people-succeed/

Good article.
  • onemelodious
    onemelodious Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week. I do most of my workouts at home except for Zumba. I do Yoga 3 times a week, Pilates 3 times a week, weights for my arms 2 times a week, walking 2 times a week, Zumba 3 times a week and Zumba Sentao once a week. I have been exercising like this for almost a year now. Between the exercise and food management I've been able to lose 62 pounds.