People with no gallbladder

Options
Are there particular foods that set you off, other then the obvious very fatty foods of course.

I got my gallbladder removed about 6 months ago and I struggle with feeling bloated and sometimes pain at night.

Any input would be great!

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 25 years ago, no problems since. My sister has hers out and for about 15 years could not eat bananas, eggs, raisins, and pineapple. However as been fine since.
  • determined136
    Options
    I have had my removed and I can't eat anything fatty

Ice Cream (kill me)
    Fried anything
    Alfredo

Basically anything yummy but it works for me....helps with the weight loss. Best of luck to you!!!
  • fitmama419
    Options
    Greasy foods and super spicy foods.
  • SwitzerS
    Options
    I had mine removed 6 months ago, haven't had any problems with food. I have always had trouble with milk and ice cream so that was nothing new for me. I still have pains once in awhile, but I have been very fortunate. I hope you are able to find things that you are able to eat.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I had issues with IBS after getting my GB removed for about 6-7 years. Then I started eating better and the IBS went away. Now I don't have any digestive issues.
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Had mine out about 5 years ago. Only thing that bothers me is gravy, so I don't eat it.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Had mine out a year and a half ago, first six months anything greasy or high fat, bleck! Now nothing. Bothers me. For my stepmom she had about a year of no lettuce/cabbage and other veggies but was fine after that.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've had mine out for 4 years, but I had complications with my surgery and it took me a full year to heal. I would have phantom attacks, bathroom issues with certain foods, and pain. Now I don't really have any problems. My doctor told me that after my complication, I'd be slow to heal

I would get set off by fatty foods, fried food, spicy food, too much dairy, and too much animal product. Try a low fat diet for a while with a lot of ruffage in it for a while, it helps. Drink a lot of water if you feel pain - that helped me when I had issues.
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2004, a lot of greasy, fatty things bothered me at first, but over time most of the issues went away. The only thing I still have issues with is 1 chinese restaurant in our town. None of the others bother me, just that one. I did have pain again once after it was removed, actually bad enough that I was taken to the ER. The doctor there told me there can be stones that were in a tube when it was removed that can work themselves loose. It sounded odd, and only happened that once, but that was the only thing they could come up with.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    stuff heavy in tomato can really mess with me.. and if you dont have a gallbladder and sometimes get a weird pressure in your stomach/chest its just bile in your stomach... not a good feeling but thats all it is. i know this becuase ive made myself throw up when i had that pain and guess what came out? bile!
  • Islasgirl
    Islasgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I suffered 3 years before I finally had mine taken out! Once I healed (fast) I never had any problem whatsoever!! I have a low pain threshold but that was the pain from hell! First I had problem with fatty foods then it did not matter what I ate or didn't eat. My first and last attack was pancreites! No fun at all!
  • xeanx
    xeanx Posts: 69
    Options
    I've had mine out three years now and I am always bloated now. I have no problems with any foods.
  • Joj43
    Joj43 Posts: 54
    Options
    I had mine out two years ago. I also suffered with severe pains that saw me in the Emergency several times. Drs thought it may have been some stones left in the ducts but I haven't had an attack now for 12 months but I think it was because I had codeine which my body cannot tolerate any more (hence pain ceased as soon as I stopped having codeine). And unfortunately, I own an ice cream shop but can no longer eat ice cream - now that sucks :sad:
  • LipstickandIron
    LipstickandIron Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out in 2008. For about a year afterward I was super sensitive to anything greasy or high-fiber. It was almost instant upset stomach. After around the year point, though I started gaining tolerance to foods again. However, since I have changed my eating habits to be better than what they were I have noticed that that tolerance for greasy food has gone away. Apparently I had to build that up, but now that I am trying to steer away from it more my body just doesn't like it and when I do have it, it's awful. Everyone once in a great while I will get a phantom pain, but not very often.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Got mine taken out in 2010 and still can't eat any animal fats (creams, butter, etc) or fried food. Sent me into a relapse with anorexia, but fighting my way out of it and finding it fun to come up with gallbladder free recipes (aka ones for people without a gallbladder)
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    had mine removed in January, no problems with any particular foods but I still get pain under my ribs on the rhs from time to time
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    I had mine out nearly 6 years ago and it took about a year to fully adjust. At first, many things bothered it. Then I noticed as time passed that only certain things bothered it: raw salad/vegetables, olive oil, chicken, chocolate, certain types of nuts, alcohol.

As of now, salad and raw veggies are A-OK; I can eat lots of them. Chicken is still pretty challenging, so I limit it to when I have the occasional craving. Olive oil can sometimes bother me, though I've been substituting with virgin coconut oil and it's been great. Chocolate is still challenging for me. I can definitely stomach more than before but I do notice some inflammation around the belly button area (small intestine) when I eat it, so I know that I don't really have what it takes to break it down fully (but I try and try and try :)).

As for alcohol, so long as I stick to one drink now (wine, beer, margarita--whatever), my stomach is fine. So, I guess it gets better as time passes. Every now and then I'll get occasional pain/feeling of fullness when laying down, but that's almost always after having a really heavy meal out somewhere, which totally makes sense.

Now, I should mention that I have some assistance. One really helpful tool in my arsenal to help digest is something called "All-Zyme" by DaVinci Laboratories of Vermont (http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-All-Zyme-90-Tablets/dp/B0007A2ELG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1351567513&sr=1-1&keywords=Davinci+All-Zyme). It's, IMO, the best broad-spectrum digestive enzyme aid on the market and has really saved me while on vacation and during food-related holidays. It has enzymes to help break down vegetables, meat, dairy, and starch. I take it as needed whenever I feel inflammation coming on in that belly button area, and depending on how much fat I've had, I may take more than one. The most I've ever taken at once was three over the course of an evening, and it completely took any pain or swelling away. I also think it's important to note that I never really need to take it when I'm following my MFP calories strictly, so in weight loss mode, I rarely have problems, but if I'm eating more than I burn, all bets are off.
  • nolachick85
    Options
    I had mine removed in 2007 when I was 22. I still have problems with really creamy ice cream (Dairy Queen Blizzards are the worst!) but that's about it. I do have a problem when I skip a meal though. The next meal tends to run right through me. That's why I always have to eat something as soon as I wake up and make sure not to skip dinner.
    I also have weird feelings in that area too from time to time. It could be phantom pain or some sort of digestion issue from some things I eat.
    I second the person who experienced IBS symptoms afterwards as well. i had that problem too up until just recently.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When I first had it out, spicy and greasy sent me running to the toilet. Now, only extremely greasy stuff, and its no where near as bad as it used to be. We're talking like, mozzarella sticks. Mines been out for .. 3 years?
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    I do have a problem when I skip a meal though. The next meal tends to run right through me. That's why I always have to eat something as soon as I wake up and make sure not to skip dinner.

Oh, yes. Forgot about this. This ALWAYS happens if I skip meals. Found this out on my honeymoon in the south of France during a national holiday when everything was closed, unfortunately (lol). Always carry something to bind the excess bile that builds up between meals, or the next one will run right through you very urgently. I carry a 100-calorie pack of almonds (nuts are great to soak up extra bile) or cookies (not healthy, but have fat to bind the bile when stuck in a bind without food available).