LADIES

Options
Is it possible to lose weight while it's that time of the month?! What are the best exercises to do?! How do I control my cravings!? This week the scale as NOT budged at all! I bloated before mother nature came to visit, but it's mostly gone down, I'm still a pound above my "normal" weight. I just don't know what to do! I've been exercising less intensely than usual, just walks for now. I don't have enough energy for cardio. I've been sneaking in sweets but staying under my calorie restriction still. This week just feels like a major set back and I don't want this to happen every month.
HELP.

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's going to happen every month. The only thing you have control over is what you put in your mouth. Just resist the cravings! Chew gum, eat more protein to feel full, anything you have to do to keep away from the high calorie food. Some is okay if it fits your macros. Just remember that YOU are in charge of what goes into your body. You cannot control water weight fluctuations. Just be patient and it will drop back down the next week.
  • kaylaannmarie93
    kaylaannmarie93 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    too true, thank you!
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    stick to your plan -- don't ever sweat a pound girl!!
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it! If you're sticking with your food goals, it's more than likely just water weight. I have the same problem every single month. Hate it! I find myself drinking a lot of tea with very little sugar, maybe honey in it. It really helps me with cravings for something sweet. If you're going to eat junk food, do it smaller amounts that won't put you over the edge. I also do a lot of stretching. Helps with the cramps and it does burn some calories as well. Hope that helps and just remember, it's only a few days :]
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It is different for each one. I just try to watch what I eat, but if I am dying craving carbs, I just have them (trying to be moderated). I don't beat myself over it. It just lasts a couple of days ( so it doesn't really spoil all your efforts of the whole month).
    Regarding exercise, I tend not to exercise the first 2 days after the 3rd day, I can go back to normal. Foodwise and exercisewise. It is not a disaster, it is just a break of 2 days a month,(at most)
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I find it is a lot easier to loose weight when my wife is at that time of the month. It is when i do most of my running. :happy:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I find it is a lot easier to loose weight when my wife is at that time of the month. It is when i do most of my running. :happy:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I find I'm a little more bloated around 'that time' but just carry on as normal. Exercise helps curb the cravings and keep you motivated. Allow yourself a little of something you fancy if it's within your calories. x
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I tend to get bloated, this month I was 2 lbs heavier for a few days. What was nice, though, was when the bloating disappeared I was .5 lbs lighter than the week before. Wait and see what it says after you're done with all that!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I normally lose regardless.

Drink MORE water. Also save some room for a 'treat' or have one anyways and save the room over the week and or work out if that's what you're into. I find a little square of dark chocolate (70%+) just melted very slowly in your mouth helps with the cravings.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it to much , just temp, when I use to get bloated like that , i would eat fresh grapefruit it is a natural diuretic..if your going to eat sweets make it dark chocolate 60% with some almond butter, Your young you have a few more decades of this so be easy about it a few extra temp lbs that may happen each month.:flowerforyou:
  • Garnet0284
    Garnet0284 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you put this post out here b/c I was getting ready to put one similar! I have the opposite problem!!! I track my weekly weigh-ins on a spreadsheet and I've noticed something over the last four months. When it's that "time of the month", for the last four times I've lost at least 4lbs during that week! However on the other three weeks of the months I'm only losing around 1 pound, or in some cases even gaining 1/2 to 1 pound! It makes no sense to me!!!
  • kaylaannmarie93
    Options
    thank you everybody!! you are all super helpful! :)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you put this post out here b/c I was getting ready to put one similar! I have the opposite problem!!! I track my weekly weigh-ins on a spreadsheet and I've noticed something over the last four months. When it's that "time of the month", for the last four times I've lost at least 4lbs during that week! However on the other three weeks of the months I'm only losing around 1 pound, or in some cases even gaining 1/2 to 1 pound! It makes no sense to me!!!

This is how my body works as well. Holds on to it for weeks and they day after my cycle starts the scale starts dropping FAST.

I suggest not weighing yourself that week. You know about when it will be. Just put the scale in a closet and don't go near it until the week after. It just frustrates you and might derail you.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Oh my ... memories. Back when mother nature visited me ... no more, thank God ... I would stress EVERY month over the same four or five pounds I would gain, then lose as soon as my period was over. I had the cravings too - chocolate and salty treats. I finally realized that it was inevitable that I would gain a few pounds prior, hang on to them during (hello, I am eating crap and salty foods), and during the week after my period, I would normally lose them and get back to normal. Moral to the story ... don't stress over the 'monthly' weight because then you will eat more!
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I normally lose regardless.

Drink MORE water. Also save some room for a 'treat' or have one anyways and save the room over the week and or work out if that's what you're into. I find a little square of dark chocolate (70%+) just melted very slowly in your mouth helps with the cravings.

^^^ I do this. ^^^

Also I try to walk more leading up to my TOM. It helps with cramps to get plenty of water, exercise and a balanced diet. Get your calcium in too and don't sweat the temporary water weight too much.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself while on your period.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I tend to put on a few pounds of water weight before and during, unfortunately, but the best thing to do is watch what you do eat, exercise in moderation (listen to your body if it feels strained as mine does during this time) and drink plenty of water.

If you consistently eat well and exercise it will come off, but even when you reach your goal weight the likelihood is that during your period you'll go up a bit and then come down afterwards.

Going through the same thing right now! *huggles*
  • kaylaannmarie93
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself while on your period.

I love this, I won't next month! The scale is just so tempting though.
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If the scale is "tempting" then you must associated it with Good News! Good for You!!! Skip it for a few days and when you go back you'll be a rock star!