1 week going Vegetarian and...

Options
I have lost 2 lbs.! :bigsmile:

I have noticed a HUGE decrease in my appetite too (probably from all of the fiber).
The first couple of days were tough, but now I truly don't even miss meat.

I hope the weight loss continues!!

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    that's awesome! are you finding that you are trying a lot of different foods? do you like tofu? have you tried the tofu noodles yet?
  • doyoga
    doyoga Posts: 20
    Options
    Good for you! I've been a vegetarian for about 6 months now & love it! It's a really positive lifestyle change, and Myfitnesspal helps me keep track of my protein and iron which is great! Good luck!
  • pennyk78
    pennyk78 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'd love to go vegetarian, but worried about protein especially since I have a gastric band...anybody know anyone in that position?

Great for you, congrats!
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I actually didn't know that you could track iron on here... I need to go and change my settings.

I have not tried tofu yet. I think I would like to try it in a restaurant first (with someone who actually knows how to prepare it) before I try to do it on my own and have a bad experience. LOL.

I have not had any problems getting my protein in. I am eating really wonderful, beautiful food and I made the BEST veggie lasagna the other night!

Penny- I am not sure about that honey. I bet if you did a search on some gastric band support boards, you may find a vegetarian or two! I am sure you could always supplement with shakes.

In addition to the two lbs., I have more energy, I am sleeping better, and my complexion is better- in 1 week!!!

Nice to know there are some other vegetarians on here. Has anyone ever had a long-running vegetarian thread to share meal plans? I know that would help me!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Extra firm tofu in a stir fry with veggies and soy sauce is delicious! :smile: Tofu really just absorbs the flavors you mix with it. I am sure you can find a ton of tofu recipes.

Oh, I am not vegetarian, but I have a ton of vegetarian friends and will eat that way when visiting them or cooking with them. :smile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Congrats on the 2 pounds! You will probably notice more weightloss, better BM's, clearer skin, more energy, better mood, and better sleep. You seem to already be noticing some of that! Yay!

I've been many types of vegetarian since I was 11. I've just transitioned to Vegan, I think its the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Getting protien really isn't that difficult. When you've been vegetarian for a while, this question really gets annoying. (Not that you annoyed me:flowerforyou: ) But people ask it like its going out of style. I think there is alot of misconception and it comes from the meat and dairy industries mostly. In truth, vegetarians/vegans can be heathier and live longer when a proper balanced diet is followed. Here are just a few sources off the top of my head:

Beans
    Chickpeas
    Lentils
    Tofu
    Soy
    Nuts
    Quinoa
    "Fake" Meats (Choose carefully)
    Veggie burgers
    Soy Milk
    Peanutbutter
    Nutbutters
    Almond Milk
    Tofu
    Seitan
    tempeh

and if your not strict: (Organic is best for the enviroment, the animals, and keeping those hormones and antibiotics out of your system)
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Yogurt
    Milk

Once you get the basics down, you learn to get creative.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    What type of vegetarian are you?
    Are you taking a B-12 vitamin? B-12 cannot be found in a plant based diet.
    Being a vegetarian takes a lot of planning...be prepared to make your menu a week or two in advance. Remember that you need compleate proteins (there are 8 essential amino acids most are only avilable from animal sources-whole grains contain some (think of teff, quinoa, tritricle, millet, amaranth, and spelt).
    Feel free to take a look at my food diary. I've been a vegetarian my entire life (strict for most of it and vegan for 3 years, I'm currently lacto/ovo/pesco).
    Also, check out www.vegweb.com it's full of info.
    :flowerforyou:

Oooh, almost forgot...why are you transitioning to a vegetarian lifestyle? This is the most important question (at least for me).
  • dani41
    dani41 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's great that you're having a good experience so far with vegetarianism. I've been one for several years and it's one of the best choices I have ever made. Protein has never been a problem - in fact, I usually still go over in my protein. I do have trouble from time to time with meeting my iron requirements, but not to the point of it being a problem. I also try to stay away from processed foods and eat organic as much as possible. It's amazing how one can feel when their diet is clean (or as close to clean as they can). My energy levels, sleep patterns and digestive health improved so much after taking meat protein out of my diet.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am currently Lacto-ovo, however, of which I only purchase and consume organic and for the eggs, organic and cage free.
    I know there are still issues with those from a cruelty standpoint. I can't drink straight milk, but use a little in my coffee.
    I have asthma so I really try to limit my dairy intake, but I can tolerate yogurt and cheese. I have been researching which cheeses don't have animal based rennet and I am buying those when possible.

My reasons are really multiple.
    I have a HUGE family history of cancer. My dad died from colon cancer at 53, my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at 63, my sister was diagnosed with kidney cancer at 34. In doing research on organic eating I saw Food, Inc., The Future of Food and read Fast Food Nation. I must say that I turned a blind eye for years at factory farming and I can't do it anymore.
    So, in a nutshell (oh and by the way, I am also allergic to nuts), health and cruelty are the reasons that I made the switch.
    I would love to eventually go vegan, but having a nut allergy would make that pretty difficult (I assume).

Because of the family history of cancer, I am also not going to go overboard with the "fake meats" and soy.
    I did have a veggie burger the other day and I was surprised at how tasty it was! I will probably treat myself to a couple of those a month.

I have a lot of research to do and lots to learn! Thanks so much for your help so far!!
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    my husband's parents went vegetarian when my father in law discovered he had stage 3 esophogial cancer. with diet only the tumor the size of a tennis ball shrunk to the size of a pin in 7 weeks. the drs removed the "pin" and he has been cancer free for over a year.

we decided (as a family) to go vegetarian not for sickness but for health. i had no idea how different i would feel. i thought cuz i was 40 and overweight all the pains, high blood pressure, fatigue, etc were "normal". i mean all my friends had the same things happening with them. the pains, fatigue and HBP are all gone and the overweight is going every day~!

i am really happy for you! it is an awesome lifestyle. there are constant new things to try! i have discovered veggies i never knew i would love...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I am currently Lacto-ovo, however, of which I only purchase and consume organic and for the eggs, organic and cage free.
    I know there are still issues with those from a cruelty standpoint. I can't drink straight milk, but use a little in my coffee.
    I have asthma so I really try to limit my dairy intake, but I can tolerate yogurt and cheese. I have been researching which cheeses don't have animal based rennet and I am buying those when possible.

My reasons are really multiple.
    I have a HUGE family history of cancer. My dad died from colon cancer at 53, my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at 63, my sister was diagnosed with kidney cancer at 34. In doing research on organic eating I saw Food, Inc., The Future of Food and read Fast Food Nation. I must say that I turned a blind eye for years at factory farming and I can't do it anymore.
    So, in a nutshell (oh and by the way, I am also allergic to nuts), health and cruelty are the reasons that I made the switch.
    I would love to eventually go vegan, but having a nut allergy would make that pretty difficult (I assume).

Because of the family history of cancer, I am also not going to go overboard with the "fake meats" and soy.
    I did have a veggie burger the other day and I was surprised at how tasty it was! I will probably treat myself to a couple of those a month.

I have a lot of research to do and lots to learn! Thanks so much for your help so far!!

The type of answers I love to hear (sorry to hear about the family issues though)...but you're doing it for the right reasons. There are so many vegetarians that do it only for weightloss or fads.
    FYI: most of the people on my friends list are either veg or vegan.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    my husband's parents went vegetarian when my father in law discovered he had stage 3 esophogial cancer. with diet only the tumor the size of a tennis ball shrunk to the size of a pin in 7 weeks. the drs removed the "pin" and he has been cancer free for over a year.

we decided (as a family) to go vegetarian not for sickness but for health. i had no idea how different i would feel. i thought cuz i was 40 and overweight all the pains, high blood pressure, fatigue, etc were "normal". i mean all my friends had the same things happening with them. the pains, fatigue and HBP are all gone and the overweight is going every day~!

i am really happy for you! it is an awesome lifestyle. there are constant new things to try! i have discovered veggies i never knew i would love...

That's great to hear! It's amazing what changes you make to your lifestyle can then change so many things for the better. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: