What to do with Lambs liver?

Options
Hi guys,
I have been meaning to try cooking some liver for a while, and it was on sale yesterday so I picked some up. I have *no* idea what to do with it! I'm not even sure me and the husband like it that much but it's supposed to be good for you and I'm sure I can make it yummy!

I'm envisioning something with chorizo and butternut squash (as that what else is in my fridge!), and I'm quite a creative cook- but what you're favourite liver recipe?

Replies

• sexybeast1998
    sexybeast1998 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    put them on the grill with lemon and pepper
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Sear on each side and eat. I like mine on the raw side and there are more benefits nutritionally.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer to leave the organs inside the animal - yuck. My husband loves liver and I'm clueless when it comes to how to prepare it.

Dr. Hannibal Lecter, however, suggests serving it with fava beans and a nice chianti.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just because something is "supposed to be good for you", if you don't like it there is no point in eating it. I can't think of anything more disgusting to eat. However, if you really want to try it, liver goes best with fava beans and chianti.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer to leave the organs inside the animal - yuck. My husband loves liver and I'm clueless when it comes to how to prepare it.

Dr. Hannibal Lecter, however, suggests serving it with fava beans and a nice chianti.

Guess I should I have read this before I posted. hahaha I'm sure this is most people are thinking.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I came across this recipe the other day whilst looking for butternut squash recipes:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/594579

I've not tried it so can't comment on that but it looks quite good!
  • WJK3
    WJK3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to cut liver into smallish chunks, season it with salt and coat it with a little flour, and pan fry it over medium-high heat until browned.
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yummy stuff. I make my own low fat pate with liver add the chrorizzo or baccon too! What ever you do just don't over cook it
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Lamb's fry (liver) and bacon is a family favorite in our house!

It's important to prepare it properly. Place the liver in a bowl of luke warm salted water for about 20-30 minutes then peel off the very thin, almost clear skin-like outer coating. I find it helps to use a sharp knife to score the coating and lift it off. Also make sure to cut out any veins. This is fiddly but definitely worth it.

Then slice thinly, coat in plain flour and fry in a pan. I also chop up some fat free bacon and fry that up with some chopped onions. Finally, add gravox and water and stir in the pan until thickened.

Lovely with mashed potato and vegetables.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Garbage Disposal.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Soak it in milk at room temperature for an hr or so before cooking, it mellows the flavour and gives it a lovely soft texture when cooked.

Then pat dry, season with salt and lots of cracked black pepper then fry with onions. Its delicious on toast!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I like to cook it with lots of garlic, lemon, white wine and parsley.

This is a good, simple recipe to use (although I definitely don't use this much butter when I cook it. A drizzle of olive oil will suffice):

http://www.krimos.co.uk/Liver.html
  • AwesomeOne66
    Options
    good grief! give it to the dog! lol
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yum. Yep, soak it in milk, fry it with some bacon and serve over mashed potatoes.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Seriously people...she was asking for recipes, if you don't like the stuff what the hell is the point in replying with "give it to the dog" or "garbage disposal" etc, etc. Just don't bother replying at all!! :grumble:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Liver is yummy, don't listen to the nay-sayers!

Another vote for cutting off tough and icky bits, soaking in milk and frying with bacon. Finish off cooking by adding rich gravy and braising for a couple of minutes. Serve with mash to soak up the gravy. My tummy's rumbling just thinking about it!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I do mine just coated with flour & seasoning in a pan with tons of caramelized (with just water not sugar) onions.

Great for iron levels and also mood swings. My boyfriend has severe anxiety and mood swings and having liver about once a week helps him a lot.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options

haha!
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Lamb's fry (liver) and bacon is a family favorite in our house!

It's important to prepare it properly. Place the liver in a bowl of luke warm salted water for about 20-30 minutes then peel off the very thin, almost clear skin-like outer coating. I find it helps to use a sharp knife to score the coating and lift it off. Also make sure to cut out any veins. This is fiddly but definitely worth it.

Then slice thinly, coat in plain flour and fry in a pan. I also chop up some fat free bacon and fry that up with some chopped onions. Finally, add gravox and water and stir in the pan until thickened.

Lovely with mashed potato and vegetables.

Thanks- it's that kind of advice that's really useful!
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    Fried lambs liver, mash and gravy with some fresh veggies on the side - ONE OF THE BEST MEALS.