Does anyone else just HATE workout videos?

Options
I bought the 30-Day Shred, and I just can't stick to it. I think I much prefer going to the gym. Any advice on how to actually stick to a video? Or is this wishful thinking? I've heard great things about Shred, but I just can't get motivated to stick to it!

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I have never been able to keep doing a workout video. I think it is because they are just so boring and I get frusterated because I'm not doing the exact movements that the ladies on the video are doing because 1. they know what they are doing and 2. I'm not physically capable yet of doing some of the movements. So, do I have advice to make it better? Sorry, i guess not. But know that you are not alone. They need to make the videos more interesting. I've never done the Richard Simmons ones, but those might keep me entertained. Good luck to you!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I started out loving the Shred, but I've grown bored with it. I've been trying different videos on On Demand, just to mix things up. I'm looking forward to working out in the gym again. That, and hoping for Spring to come, so I can start walking again.

You have to do what makes you feel good and what you can stick with. If videos aren't your thing, they are probably not worth your time or effort.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Personally, I love workout videos but HATED 30 day shred. I couldn't bring myself to do it consistently. I know a lot of people love it, but I didn't like anything about it.

I say don't force yourself to do an exercise you hate, there are too many other ways to get exercise! Like me, I couldn't stand 30 day shred, but I adore Turbo Jam and Kari Anderson's PUSH step workout (and many others, but I won't list them all). Does your local library have a selection of workout videos? That way you can try some others out without any monetary investment.

Or, if you prefer the gym and can afford to go, do that!
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I have to go to the gym or I won't stick to it. If I'm on my own it's just so easy to find other things that need to be done around my house. If I make myself get out of the house and go to the gym then I am more focused on the exercises that I need to be doing, rather than trying to hurry up and finish the workout, so that I can do the laundry, or cook dinner, or whatever. Plus when I take a class at the gym I'm getting instant feedback and encouragement. The video can't do that for you.
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started out loving the Shred, but I've grown bored with it. I've been trying different videos on On Demand, just to mix things up. I'm looking forward to working out in the gym again. That, and hoping for Spring to come, so I can start walking again.

You have to do what makes you feel good and what you can stick with. If videos aren't your thing, they are probably not worth your time or effort.

Totally agree with this, if you aren't into videos then I wouldn't waster your time. Personally, if I enjoy a certian form of exercise it becomes more like a hobby than a chore and I'm more inclined to stick with it. I like the 30 Day Shred, but I also go to the gym, go walking and have recently re-started tap dancing with a couple of friends- this is so much fun I hardly notice we're exercising too! :smile:
  • hlanders
    hlanders Posts: 50
    Options
    Oh, i can tell you that I used to be you...I coulf never stick to a routine past a 8 week mark. Then I found Turbo Jam through watching t.v ..Right after I had my daughter. I swear Chalene gets you so into it that you don't even realize that you are through a 35 minute intense workout...but you are a sweat ball..lol Now I have borrowed ChaLean extreme....and I just look forward to weights with her 3 times a week and 2 intense cardio's...I actually get up in the morn. and CAN"T wait to get the feeling ...it is so great I could bottle it..! You really need to find some instructor in a video that you just love ----She ROCKS....anyway!:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I hate videos.
    Frankly, I feel like a clumsy buffoon when I do them. I don't feel like I'm getting a good workout. I close the blinds and batten down the hatches, worried someone will see me! (But I don't feel this way in a gym.... ???? what in the world?!?!?!)
  • jessifreehugs
    jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hate videos.
    Frankly, I feel like a clumsy buffoon when I do them. I don't feel like I'm getting a good workout. I close the blinds and batten down the hatches, worried someone will see me! (But I don't feel this way in a gym.... ???? what in the world?!?!?!)

I totally agree, I don't want ANYONE to see me doing a video...but somehow I could care less at the gym lol. You would think I would feel the same either way, since I'm not exactly graceful, but whatever.
  • karen366
    karen366 Posts: 141
    Options
    I have bought countless numbers of videos and up until the shred..I worked with them about a week or so and I was done...but I have really enjoyed the 30 day shred..mostly because I am seeing results...
    Basically though, the best work out is the one you will stick with...I still go on the treadmill a few times a week in addition to the shred, but my main routine is the video for right now..
  • jessifreehugs
    Options
    Personally, I love workout videos but HATED 30 day shred. I couldn't bring myself to do it consistently. I know a lot of people love it, but I didn't like anything about it.

I say don't force yourself to do an exercise you hate, there are too many other ways to get exercise! Like me, I couldn't stand 30 day shred, but I adore Turbo Jam and Kari Anderson's PUSH step workout (and many others, but I won't list them all). Does your local library have a selection of workout videos? That way you can try some others out without any monetary investment.

This is a great idea! I never thought about checking out videos at the library. Maybe I'll find one that I can stand. If not, oh well, I guess I'll just be a gym rat,
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite! I love them. They work so many areas in a way that i don't have to think through at the gym. Going to the ggym isn't in my budget nor do i have the time with 3 kids, working full time and a husband that leaves early and gets home late. So videos are perfect for me!
  • halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have to keep a mix of them or it can get boring. I have been doing the shred for about 2 weeks but I change my night time workout every other day. I find workout dvd's cheap at Walmart. Found a few the other day in the 2 for $10 bin.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I would love to go to the gym, but at this point in my life, I just cannot get there. I do the BL bootcamp and weight loss yoga. So far so good. I think that it takes at least a week to get used to the moves and get the optimum workout. Would I like to go the gym? YES! But right now, I have to settle for Bob in my living room.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I hate videos.

I totally agree, I don't want ANYONE to see me doing a video...but somehow I could care less at the gym lol. You would think I would feel the same either way, since I'm not exactly graceful, but whatever.

Same here!! However, the only classes I do at the gym are yoga and pilates, neither of which require graceful energized movements. I did zumba a couple times and quit because I hated the way I felt while doing the class, even though the workout was spectacular.

At the gym, I usually stick to the elliptical or treadmill.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

This is a great idea! I never thought about checking out videos at the library. Maybe I'll find one that I can stand. If not, oh well, I guess I'll just be a gym rat,

Nothing wrong with being a gym rat, so don't stress yourself trying to find a video. Personally, once I get home I can't motivate myself to get moving. I settle in for the evening and that's that. I don't like videos that much - without someone to actually ensure that I am doing some of the complicated moves right, I'm worried I have the form wrong - which can not only prevent you from burning calories, but can also cause you to hurt yourself, depending on what you're doing.

When I get up and go to the gym I am more in the mindset of "I'm here. I'm working out. I need to make this worth the drive to get here." And I do the elliptical, the bike or the treadmill. Plus I LOVE weights and my racquetball and there's just no way to do that at home. And I've been shown in person how to use the weights and everything so I know I'm getting back what I put in.

The gals are right. Once you find a workout you find fun and it starts being something you WANT to do, it gets a lot easier to do it.
  • jessifreehugs
    Options
    I agree, I love lifting weights, and I do the treadmill and elliptical. I always figure that since I drove all the way out there, I might as well good a long workout in.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Definitely check out what your library has. I bought a couple of DVDs only to find I didn't really like them. I started looking at the library and discovered I really like ones by Denise Austin. Check her out!

Sue
  • vrealize
    vrealize Posts: 13
    Options
    If you have a Netflix account, they have some to watch instantly and tons to rent to try out. (:
  • sam4sure
    sam4sure Posts: 67
    Options

I agree- I did not like Shred video...it was too repetitive but I did stick with it. I can't recommend enough of the Turbo Jam series- I have most of the basic videos (I think like 6 diff ones) and the variety plus the upbeat music and fun spirit of Chalene allowed me to stay interested and look forward to the next workout. I am now doing Chalene Extreme and it is a little more tedious since it's weight lifting but I make sure to do the cardios and ab and flexibility videos to liven it up.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I used to dread the thought of workout DVD's... mostly because it felt "hokey". Like, Jane Fonda herself with legwarmers, or Olivia Newton John with her leotard and headband will start dancing around while I "get physical".

:) Sooooooooo, consider me AMAZED that in the past 3-4 months I've discovered the love of the fitness DVD's! For me, I think the key is having a variety of different things to do that would suit any mood (yoga, pilates, kickboxing, muscle toning) - stuff of various levels of intensity that I can pick from depending on my mood.

I started out doing them with complete privacy - and have finally been willing to just bust it out even if my sig. other is home. Working on channeling my inner bad-*kitten* - and sending anything resembling Jane or Olivia packing... :bigsmile: Just this morning I was a total ninja to Cardio Kickbox. Loved it! :laugh: