Help-African girl keeps feeding me this, what is it?

Options
2»

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    loool. thats the best "how do I log this" ever. hehehehehehehe.

your house sounds fun :)
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just hope for your sake it's not Muti...
  • nerchk
    nerchk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    aww. you accepting the dish w/o criticism and a sour face probably made her feel so good :]

that being said... I have seen tv shows where people accept a weird dish and that somehow means an agreement or something (marriage, property etc) lol. :p just some 'food for thought'.

Arent you just naive
  • nerchk
    Options

guys please why are you insulting us
  • Sick_Beard
    Options

I am not insulting you :huh: I was born in Cape Town, South Africa, and I am well aware of the local traditions.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I think she gets enough Canadian food, and I don't think she's a fan lol but we usually buy her groceries.

Now that your mystery has been solved I'm going slightly off-topic.

I used to work with unaccompanied refugee minors in the US. They definitely did not like our food, especially the kids from Sudan, Somalia & the DRC. We were able to find a small grocery store (via google) that sold central-African food; goat, walkie talkies, even their favorite sodas I'd never heard of. The kids LOVED it. Is there anything like that around you?

Speaking as someone that has also moved halfway around the world, I get inordinately happy when I see a brand I grew up with. I'm a little surprised you were able to find goat, though, so I'm guessing you're on the right track.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Yum! My ex husband (is) Nigerian and had friends from Ethiopia/Eritrea who owned a restaurant........ So, so, so yummy!

I'd invite them over often! The wife didn't speak any English, but we has many food related 'conversations' like yours :)
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey! You lost THIRTY-ONE pounds eating it! Buy her a new wardrobe to say thank you , and be greateful !!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    Injera is in the MFP database. So are Doro Wat (Ethiopian Chicken Stew) and Key Wat (Ethiopian beef stew). Alternatively log the Wat as a fatty stew or curry.

When I was a student we had an Ethiopian restaurant near campus. Used to love the food, especially the spicy lentils.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me hungry.
  • nerchk
    Options

I am not insulting you :huh: I was born in Cape Town, South Africa, and I am well aware of the local traditions.

but Muti is not part of any tradition.
  • weare7
    weare7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That truly is a blessing to share in their journey here and share as much as their culture as they can share with you.. very cool! Wish I could have a neighbor like that!!

Maybe you could make several different flash cards in as many African languages as you can find online, all of the same word and see which one she understands?? Might help you learn to communicate with her. Or there are apps on smart phones that you can record her and it will translate for you...
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a secret treasure map to some hidden diamond mine? :happy:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I think she gets enough Canadian food, and I don't think she's a fan lol but we usually buy her groceries.

Now that your mystery has been solved I'm going slightly off-topic.

I used to work with unaccompanied refugee minors in the US. They definitely did not like our food, especially the kids from Sudan, Somalia & the DRC. We were able to find a small grocery store (via google) that sold central-African food; goat, walkie talkies, even their favorite sodas I'd never heard of. The kids LOVED it. Is there anything like that around you?

Speaking as someone that has also moved halfway around the world, I get inordinately happy when I see a brand I grew up with. I'm a little surprised you were able to find goat, though, so I'm guessing you're on the right track.
    There are several places like that here :) They're kinda small and I think they're great but someone looking for specific things will probably think it's a crap hole lol.
    Hey! You lost THIRTY-ONE pounds eating it! Buy her a new wardrobe to say thank you , and be greateful !!!!
    That truly is a blessing to share in their journey here and share as much as their culture as they can share with you.. very cool! Wish I could have a neighbor like that!!

Maybe you could make several different flash cards in as many African languages as you can find online, all of the same word and see which one she understands?? Might help you learn to communicate with her. Or there are apps on smart phones that you can record her and it will translate for you...

Geez I think you people think I'm made of money...so far I've been offered to buy her a wardrobe, globes, school supplies and cook for her :P That being said our family has been trying to collect clothes and the like...she's probably has more clothes then me now lol. We got her english flash cards...She has a kid and so I've been looking online to perhaps get a childrens book but then I'm half afraid I'll get the wrong language lol. I don't see her a whole lot because I'm busy with school but mom does. I keep asking her to try to figure out her language and she keeps failing lol.
    Injera is in the MFP database. So are Doro Wat (Ethiopian Chicken Stew) and Key Wat (Ethiopian beef stew). Alternatively log the Wat as a fatty stew or curry.

When I was a student we had an Ethiopian restaurant near campus. Used to love the food, especially the spicy lentils.
    Thank you for the heads up! I haven't checked yet but it's nice to know it's there.
  • Sick_Beard
    Options

but Muti is not part of any tradition.

According to Wikipedia it is....