Lowered resting heart rate

Options
I've got questions that need answering. Before I started losing weight and getting fitter, my heart rate was 65 - 69, done a test today and it says 42 - 45. (I'm taking averages)

Is this really good, or really bad?

Replies

• scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Really good. My doc said my resting heart rate of 45 was that of an athlete.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Very good!
    Your cardio vascular system has got more efficent. You will probably notice it's now harder to elevate your heartrate during exercise and recovery to resting rate will be quicker.
    Mine's down to 52 from 60+ when I was less fit earlier in the year.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not really taken notice of how long it takes to increase heart rate, but my ecrease time has definitely went down.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Very GOOD

I started at 83 RHR and now low 40's I had to laugh when i was last in hospital as they had to disconnect the heart rate alarm from my monitors as it was always going off. :laugh:

I got a couple of the staff members interested in cycling as that is my exercise of choice.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Does it not depend on age/sex etc as well?

Im 55 bpm rested, for a 35 year old mail
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Very GOOD

I started at 83 RHR and now low 40's I had to laugh when i was last in hospital as they had to disconnect the heart rate alarm from my monitors as it was always going off. :laugh:

I got a couple of the staff members interested in cycling as that is my exercise of choice.

This is when they discovered how really low my resting rate was.........the freaking alarms kept going off. Im far from fit yet but Im determined.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

My Dad competed at long range rifle shooting and could control his heart rate - he used to bring it down into the 20's when he was on an ECG in hospital to freak the doctors out.
    :laugh:
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It is awesome! 40-60 resting HR is a good athletic heart barring any heart condition! It is termed bradycardia meaning a slow HR but in an athetic person it just shows that your cardiovascular health is great. If that freaks you out it would really freak you out to know your heart rate may drop into the 30's while sleeping. Its ok.(like i said barring you having any history of heart problems) keep up the good work!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

35 year old mail? somebody open that letter already!
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've got questions that need answering. Before I started losing weight and getting fitter, my heart rate was 65 - 69, done a test today and it says 42 - 45. (I'm taking averages)

Is this really good, or really bad?

I had the same problem, started in the 60's, went to the 40's.

I've see my doctor about this and have worn a Holter monitor for 24 hours. My average heartrate was 51 and my lowest was 38. They were not concerned as long as I didn't have any other issues, like shortness of breath.

I think along with this I have lowered blood pressure. Sometimes it can get really low, but usually on the low end of normal. One day I got really dizzy, passed out, hubby called 911 and I got an ambulence ride. Decided it was low blood pressure . . that was scarry.

This happened when I lost 60 pounds. . . I've gained about 15 back but I'm back eating healthier again. I'm sorta concerned about the whole heart rate/pulse thing because I have 50 pounds to go (needed to lose 100 total)

Get it checked out if you think it's a problem. Read on webmd.com
    http://www.webmd.com/heart/understanding-low-blood-pressure-basics
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

My RHR has also dropped a lot. It was something I didn't even really pay attention to and a nice side effect of getting healthier!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It is awesome! 40-60 resting HR is a good athletic heart barring any heart condition! It is termed bradycardia meaning a slow HR but in an athetic person it just shows that your cardiovascular health is great. If that freaks you out it would really freak you out to know your heart rate may drop into the 30's while sleeping. Its ok.(like i said barring you having any history of heart problems) keep up the good work!

A long bike ride (60 - 100 miles) will drop my heart rate down even further so that RHR for a couple of days after the ride will be high 30's.

Doc is very pleased and is reducing my meds as I lose weight.

edited to add that I have had a heart problem and have a couple of stents fitted. (the main spur to loseing the weight)
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Really jealous.. My resting heart rate is 115. 3 miles an hour gets my heart rate to 180. My Dr. isn't sure what's wrong with it, wore a holter monitor for a week, have had all kinds of testing. I'm hoping it can be at least partially corrected with exercise.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Really jealous.. My resting heart rate is 115. 3 miles an hour gets my heart rate to 180. My Dr. isn't sure what's wrong with it, wore a holter monitor for a week, have had all kinds of testing. I'm hoping it can be at least partially corrected with exercise.

WOW! THAT'S HIGH

I'm gonna get a proper reading, and while I'm at it have my blood pressure and everything else checked.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I had preeclampsia while pregnant and it's pretty much been screwed up ever since, really hoping more exercise will fix it though.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

35 year old mail? somebody open that letter already!

D'oh, lol
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 50's at rest and really have to push hard to get it above 145 when I run - I'm sure you're ok, especially if it's lower because you are fit. Resting heart rate is supposed to be lower in fit people. That's why exercise is good for you. A lower resting heart rates gives your heart a lovely rest between workouts. :heart: People with high resting heart rates have hearts that are working really hard all the time. :brokenheart: