Just ballparking, I ate 4k calories today

Options
And I need to not do that ever again, except on like... holidays and my birthday. I keep telling myself "oh, I just need to exercise and it'll be fine", but I haven't wanted to admit that my eating's gotten out of control again. My boyfriend and I both just chow through $100 worth of groceries in a week, and overdo it especially on the junk food and sugar. My weight gain isn't as noticeable as his because I'm already fat, but we need to buckle down and do this.

Any couples out there losing weight together? Please add me. I'd like to talk with someone who's already worked out how to gently tell your partner that it's time to get serious, that their portions are just too big sometimes, that drinking water IS important, and so is eliminating soda, and to accept when *they* say those same or similar things to you. How to motivate each other to exercise when all you want to do is lay around and be on the computer or watch TV. Any tips / warnings / activity suggestions. Much appreciated

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on yourself instead. Do you want it bad enough? If you've already both come to a realization, just lead by example. Do a good job and if he asks then lend your advice and support.
  • chaoticpassion
    Options
    Well, we're not losing weight together, that's for sure... but I feel your pain. My husband lost 50 pounds in 2 months with some ridiculously simple changes (cut out soda, started skipping lunch). As a woman that has always struggled, it simply doesn't come as easily for me. It's especially hard when we do groceries, and things that he can do (like help himself to a late night ice cream sundae almost every day) are things that I'd LOVE to do... but can't. I agree with the previous response in the sense that all you can do is think about what you have control of - YOU. If it's hard to watch him eat junk food, tell him so. Say you need his support and stocking your fridge with a bunch of crap is making it too tempting for you.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on yourself instead. Do you want it bad enough? If you've already both come to a realization, just lead by example. Do a good job and if he asks then lend your advice and support.

grab him by his man bits and say "here's the deal, no more bs we are doing this".
    Do your best to bring him with you, one of the last things you want to do is sacrifice your relationship. Explain to him that you need his support and the best support he can give is doing it right alongside you.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    BritneysStuntDouble Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    rad
  • jen331975
    Options
    My husband and I are doing this together. It is working really well, we have each lost around 20lb in the two months since we started although the rate of weight loss is slowing down now. He started first, and when I saw how easy it was to record what he was eating, I started too. As it is both of us, it is easier to plan meals that are at the right calorie level and not to have too many naughty days! That said, we do agree to having some days where we don't count - usually when food is less in our control (eg when eating at family or friends). We have even had a couple of takeaways.
    Additionally we are motivating each other to exercise - mostly walking or cycling with the kids. Some days when we visit family a few miles away one of us drives the kids while the other walks and then we swap for the return journey! It is also nice when you can share the different milestones on the way along...and remind each other how much better we look already.:happy:
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    4k calories? Hoe do you even eat that many. I mean through what foods.

In my case I started working out first. Then my hubby joined in. He doesn't have much to lose but he is loooking trimmer. You do it for yourself. He will follow if he. wants to.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Right. Just do it, in the words of Nike. There's no other way.

I'm lucky to have a significant other that is supportive (and 140 pounds soaking wet) in my weight loss. It is harder when we're together because one of the things people do to share time together is eat so I can stay focused easier when I'm by myself.

The MOST important thing I've learned is that it takes a LOT of time. I told myself I would try this thing for a year. A whole year. The time is going to pass whether I stuff my face and get fatter or focus on me and get fitter, so why not just TRY. Eating junk constantly isn't making me thinner, so why not try something new.

The second most important thing I've learned is that a bad day, a few bad days or even a week of crummy eating is not going to deter all your hard work in the long run. If you work hard for two months and then life happens and you eat junk for 10 days straight, you are not going to gain every thing back. You will gain something, mostly water and bloat weight, but as long as the good days grossly out number the bad (say, 48 weeks out of 52 in a year) you WILL see results.

When I first started, my best decisions were eating a regular hamburger and small fries over a big mac meal at mcdonalds. Then, I bought a lot more quick foods to have at home. Pre-portioned things like a single serving mac and cheese or single serving beeferoni. It got me into the groove of counting calories and learning my boundaries.

Then, I wanted to eat more food because I was still hungry, so I just added in vegetables and fruits. Heaped my plate with double the vegetables and just one serving of meat and potatoes. I could eat a lot more bulk and feel less hungry. If you can't fathom cutting out the oreos and donuts, start out by buying 100 calorie packs. Even if you eat three of them, you can SEE WHERE your calories are going. Eventually, it'll click that you want to eat more actual food and it's just not worth the value of calories in junk.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can't worry about what your partner will do or when. You just have to start eating healthy for your self. Take the initiative and cook healthy dinners for you both. Just start doing it, don't wait on him and he will follow if you take the lead... Or he won't. He shouldn't be your problem or your excuse.
  • turtlechele68
    Options
    I have just started changing my eating habits recently. I won 2 free weeks to one of the food delivery diet things. I realized after the 2 weeks that I can do this on my own. I plan my meals at about 400 or so calories each. Since I refuse to measure any thing it's mostly freezer food. I get to pick what I want to eat. The portions are just right and already measured out. I also make sure I eat 3 times a day at regular intervals, no matter what. So far I've averaged about 2lbs. a week for 7 weeks. I feel so much better and have so much more energy it's crazy. I still allow my self to eat out where ever I want on Friday & Saturday and I don't even check the calorie content until after I've eaten. If I'm going to eat out I'm going to enjoy it. So far I've done really good and don't feel deprived of anything. Good luck to you.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    my husband and i are doing it together! we have been together long enough, and are comfy enough with each other to bluntly let eachother know when one of us is slipping. we are both really bad at portion control, and we are both in such a hurry, with very busy lives, that we need "quick" foods (hence the reason we gained weight eatiung so much fast food) so... what we have been doing, is following the nutrisystem plan, but not buying their food. its been way cheaper to buy whatever diet meals are on sale at stater brothers, and work it that way. im on 1300 calories per day, and my husband is on 1600 calories a day. our dr is very happy with our progress so far. my husband has brought his blood pressure from 155ish/95ish to 140ish/80ish in just 6 weeks! i eat a diet meal for breakfast lunch and dinner. i also have a huge fresh cut salad with vinigar /extra virgin olive oil / lemon juice dressing as a late afternoon snack, and i make a fresh fruit smothie as desert. im not starving, and im able to stick with it because of the ease of convenience. my husband takes his breakfast meal and lunch meal to work, then comes home, has his dinner meal, and a huge salad for dinner... later he snacks on fresh fruit or veggies... sometimes some low cal popcorn... we have a date / cheat day every other saturday. we go out with the kids, get ice cream, go to our favorite reastaurant... but then we get right back on the wagon the next day! we are having fun together, and loosing weight together!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do this with him. You CAN do it by yourself.
  • CressidaJL
    CressidaJL Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    grab him by his man bits and say "here's the deal, no more bs we are doing this".
    No offence intended to this poster, but I think this is absolutely not the way to go about it. How would you feel if he grabbed your belly & said "Come on fatty, it's time to get serious about losing weight!"?! Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but for me, that level of disrespect would not be met with a happy ending.

It is not your place to tell a partner to lose weight, any more than you would accept them doing the same to you. However, if your partner has indicated that he wants to lose weight, then absolutely you can support & encourage each-other. If he's not said anything though, or reacted positively to your suggestions, to be honest you really are best off just going solo. There is every chance that once he sees your shining example (and the results!) that he'll get with the program.

In the meantime, simple things like cooking more healthy meals when you're eating together will help, and be sure to make him aware that you're losing weight, so you'd appreciate it if he were considerate when providing/cooking/etc for you, so he doesn't pitch up with pizza when you're aiming for salad. Beyond that, suggest activities you can do together (walking, swimming, ANYTHING that gets you both out of the house!), but don't be surprised if he isn't too enthusiastic at first. The more active he sees you get though, the more likely he is to want to be a part of it. :)

GOOD LUCK!! :)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    To the person that asked what foods contributed to the 4k:

Calories add up real quick, especially when you're eating ice cream (where a pint can bring you well over 1k by itself), snack cakes, anything like cookies or pastries, fried foods, or calorie-dense food such as spaghetti and meatballs or other carb-heavy dishes.

Thank you everyone for the advice and suggestions. I am not going to let my boyfriend be an excuse for my lack of success, but for his personal health I do want to motivate him to cut back and be active as well. Also my brother, who has pushed over 200 lbs for the first time in his life. I just don't want either of them to be like me, and *I* don't want to be "just another fat girl" any more either. I WILL do this, and I know it takes time. :)
  • dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Do your best to bring him with you, one of the last things you want to do is sacrifice your relationship. Explain to him that you need his support and the best support he can give is doing it right alongside you.

^^^THIS!!
  • carlee1212
    carlee1212 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new at this dieting thing, but I have to count my calories and log them each day. Looking at them puts in perspective how much I have bee eating.
    Just a suggestion with your husband, you might want to angle it that YOU need to get serious about your weight and you want him to do the same because it would help YOU. Hope that helps.
  • petergarcia82
    petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You will have to just do it and let them see what you are doing. I have had to lose my 100+ pounds with very little support from my wife. The more I lose the more support I seem to get from her and we are both semi eating better with our son. She will still bring in junk food and sometimes it's hard to resist but I am an adult and can make my own decisions and the same for her. Just do it! =)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I started in March but my husband didnt really start until September. Once he was on board it was kinda easier even though he would already eat what I was eating/cooking.

Also, no matter what I said, what helpful hint I dropped or what healthy meal I cooked, it had to be his decision. We went on a hike in August and when something he used to do 10 years ago kicked his everlivin *kitten*, he realized what was going on and what changes needed to be made. After that, it was all him.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I ate over that on saturday and it was mostly cupcakes with chocolate icing, snickerdoodles, calico beans, chocolate covered pretzels, smores, pizza, hot dogs, and pumpkin oatmeal cookies. it was a stomachache for me but i wanted to do it one time since i havent had a day like that in over 4 months and i wanted to see how i could handle it. I realized afterwards that it wasnt worth it, so it actually will help me in the long run remembering that. only gained 1-2lbs. but will get it off again in no time. no biggie.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    4k calories? Hoe do you even eat that many. I mean through what foods.

In my case I started working out first. Then my hubby joined in. He doesn't have much to lose but he is loooking trimmer. You do it for yourself. He will follow if he. wants to.

4k is not that difficult. my stomach is small but i managed to do it pretty easily. just a lot of food. and alcohol. 1 shot of my moonshine is 200 cals. so that helps.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    And I need to not do that ever again, except on like... holidays and my birthday. I keep telling myself "oh, I just need to exercise and it'll be fine", but I haven't wanted to admit that my eating's gotten out of control again. My boyfriend and I both just chow through $100 worth of groceries in a week, and overdo it especially on the junk food and sugar. My weight gain isn't as noticeable as his because I'm already fat, but we need to buckle down and do this ****.

Any couples out there losing weight together? Please add me. I'd like to talk with someone who's already worked out how to gently tell your partner that it's time to get serious, that their portions are just too big sometimes, that drinking water IS important, and so is eliminating soda, and to accept when *they* say those same or similar things to you. How to motivate each other to exercise when all you want to do is lay around and be on the computer or watch TV. Any tips / warnings / activity suggestions. Much appreciated

My hubby and I are both losing weight now. However, I don't think that you can motivate someone who is not ready. I started my new lifestyle in March of this year, and I have lost 104 pounds as of today. I can't remember exactly when hubby started, but he is up to 30 pounds now. The reason he is behind me is because he was NOT ready to change. When I first started, I tried pushing him along with me, because he had some health issues and I was worried about him. But no matter how I tried to persuade him, he was not hearing it. So eventually I left him alone, and just kept making better choices for myself. Once he saw how much better I felt, and how the weight was melting off, he started to get on board. I pretty much went vegan overnight, and stopped eating processed food, etc. His change has been much more gradual, but it is working for him. It's a personal choice, and one that your husband will have to make for himself. It is okay to encourage him, but he has to be ready. Once I realized that , and just decided to worry about my own transformation, he got on board pretty quickly! GOod luck to you!