Exercise Help!

Hi all!

Here's my dilemma. I fractured my ankle in a 2009 horse accident, resulting in a plate and 8 screws. However I've continuously been having issues with swelling and pain ever since. I'm almost certain that it's due to my weight so I'm trying to shed some significant pounds...165 to be exact. The problem is that I'm unable to do anything concerning running, jumping, etc. I know that water exercise is great but I'm not able to go to the local Y all the time. Is there some exercises that will help me shed the weight while not re-injuring myself? I also know that walking helps and I'm doing that I just want to ensure that I'm loosing weight during winter where walking may be an issue.

Thanks so much!

Cheryl

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Best to ask a sports oriented medical professional.

Aside from that, no exercise is needed to lose weight. You just need a calorie deficit. Exercise is an optional tool to help create one. That said, you will eventually lose muscle along with the fat if you can not find a way to do some resistance training.
  • Thanks so much for your reply! Would you have any suggestions of resistance training exercises. I'm a newbie and have been doing squats, crunches, lunges, push ups. etc. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again!
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    My husband also has issues with his ankles and knees, but they are not as serious as yours. He walks and his doctor has also encouraged him to focus on swimming, but my understanding is that you can do most of the weight lifting, resistance training, and circuit workouts, particularly ones that are upper body or that don't apply pressure to your sensitive area.

I don't have specifics, sorry, but I'm sure that if you talk to one of the trainers at the Y, and explain your injury, they can provide at-home exercises that would be good for you, and which you can supplement with walking, and your occassional gym swim.

As long as you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight, so watch you eat. That's the most important exercise ;) As you lose the weight, exercise will get easier too.
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    You can try these:
    Abdominals.
    Did you know weak abdominal muscles are connected to poor posture? The more strength you have in your core, the more ability your muscles have to hold up your body weight, which can make walking less painful.

Tip: Sit in a chair with a straight back, concentrating on your abdominals. Lift both legs up with knees bent in a 90 degree angle, hold for 5 seconds, then rest feet gently on the ground. Repeat ten times three times a day.

Don't forget your "guns!"
    Since the body requires time for repairing cells in your foot tissues after foot surgery, concentrate on strengthening the muscles in your arms. By working these muscles, using crutches becomes easier too!

Tip: Fill water bottles with water or sand, and practice arm curls. Focus and flex your arms as you control the lift up towards your shoulder, and back down towards your hip. Repeat fifteen times three times a day.

Stay balanced during your time of rest.
    Practice balancing on your uninjured foot. If you find this simple, close your eyes. Your leg and abdominal muscles will begin to burn too!

Tip: If you find balancing difficult, do so in front of a couch or chair, so you can feel safe and have an object to lean on to prevent falling.

Use your towel.
    Having foot surgery doesn't mean the foot muscles can't be worked! Try rolling a towel for resistance training exercises.
    A fat-burning, cardio-based exercise you can do, without harming your ankle, is standing in place and socking away at a heavy bag. If you know how to deliver punches, believe me, this will definitely count as cardio exercise and burn fat: hooks, crosses and uppercuts, as hard as you can, as quickly as you can, or just plain as hard as you can, will elevate the heart rate and burn up fat.

also check
    http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/29-exercises-you-can-do-at-or-near-your-desk.html
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Thanks so much for your reply! Would you have any suggestions of resistance training exercises. I'm a newbie and have been doing squats, crunches, lunges, push ups. etc. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again!

Still best to ask a sports oriented medical professional. I can tell a healthy person how to start out, but I am not qualified to tell someone how to safely work around injuries.

For healthy people I recommend looking at this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Walking, also bike riding. But again, you dont NEED to exercise to lose weight.
  • Thanks all!
  • I don't know if this will help you, but I have a couple blood clots (DVT's) in my right leg from my groin area to my knee. Doc told me absolutely NOTHING high impact, so I do a recumbent bike for my cardio.

I've also just incorporated strength training as well. I don't use my hand weights yet, so soup cans work for me! :laugh:

Hope this helps! Good Luck with everything! :flowerforyou:
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Walking, also bike riding. But again, you dont NEED to exercise to lose weight.

Depending on how much weight you need to lose, yes. If you are down to those last stubborn pounds, I totally disagree.