Just ballparking, I ate 4k calories today

Options
2»

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    4k calories? Hoe do you even eat that many. I mean through what foods.

In my case I started working out first. Then my hubby joined in. He doesn't have much to lose but he is loooking trimmer. You do it for yourself. He will follow if he. wants to.

Eat 4 sticks of fried butter with glazed sugary sauce for dipping it in, BAM 4k calories for under half a pound of food.
  • stopkasisaidso
    Options
    I'm not sure what type of guy your BF is or how he would respond to the, "Jump on the bandwagon" attitude, but I say do it by yourself at first. The other day I told my husband I was watching my portions b/c I needed to lose weight and he lowered his head and said, "I should too." Sometimes we don't need to point out the obvious to our partner. Make the changes now and he will follow because he will see your motivation and be inspired by it.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I used to serve dinner family style, now I make our plates. I weigh everything on mine since I am the one that tracks. If he's still hungry after the initial plate he can go back for more but he's usually good after the first plate. It seems like a small thing but it has helped with the portion size.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on yourself instead. Do you want it bad enough? If you've already both come to a realization, just lead by example. Do a good job and if he asks then lend your advice and support.

This is how I did it. It took way longer than I wanted, but I made serious changes. Went from not ever exercising and eating every junk food in sight to watching what I ate. After I felt like I had the diet under control, then I slowly added in exercise. I asked my husband if he wanted to join me for workouts. He always opted to play video games instead. I worked my way up to P90X and then through the entire classic program. About midway through, hubby would go on walks with me and started watching what he ate.

I have since divorced and now my boyfriend and I are doing Power 90 together. Current BF is a diabetic with high blood pressure, so I didn't have to tell him anything. He knows he eats too many carbs and didn't exercise enough. He knew he needed to change something. Being only 30, not terribly overweight (I certainly have heavier friends than him) and on 2 chronic medications woke him up.

Good luck!
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to serve dinner family style, now I make our plates. I weigh everything on mine since I am the one that tracks. If he's still hungry after the initial plate he can go back for more but he's usually good after the first plate. It seems like a small thing but it has helped with the portion size.

This worked VERY well for me too. I used to serve others and then myself, but now I prep my own plate in the kitchen first, even before the guests! This allows me to easily measure "half cup rice" or whatever, as opposed to heaping the plates. Then I see a normal food portion and give everyone a realistic portion (though not as small as mine) and leave lots of seconds safely in the pot for those that want them.

My boyfriend brought fruit pastries home the other night (one of my few true can't-resist-triggers) for dinner guests, and actually apologized to me when I mentioned I had made a healthy dessert (thank you, Chocolate Covered Katie blog!) that was easy to portion for myself. And he came on a walk with me to burn some of that 280 cal fruit pastry off too!!
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Did you have a reason why you guys ate a ton? Were you doing it just as an activity? Was it a reward for something like say I just got a promotion so lets eat (and I get what ever I want because I deserve it)?

You have to really think about WHY you two are doing this. Also if you want to splurge on food really go all out and buy some shrimp and grill it with Cajun seasoning. Bake a sweet potato and top it with a bit of cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar (though I find the sugar to be unnecessary). A big serving of broccoli and cheese (more broccoli than cheese...LOL) and shoe peg corn. Many you can pig out on that stuff and not eat that many calories. For desert you can slow cook in a quart size pot a chopped up apple. You can add a bit of water to get it started and if you really want a couple of dashes of sugar but again not really needed. Top it with cinnamon and add some cool whip. Frozen cool whip is like really soft icecream and not too bad on the calories.

Anyways I eat all that and am totally full and since I really like all of what I just posted I feel like I've had a treat. Plus it really didn't hurt my calories. Now that was just an example of what I would eat on a special occasion. Sometimes I substitute blackened fish for the shrimp.

Really think about things you love to eat and see if you can come up with a healthy alternative. Or think about the foods you love to eat and then figure out which one of those are healthy and then go for it.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My hubby is doing this with me whether he likes it or not, since Im the one doing all the shopping, cooking , and meal serving :laugh:

There is plenty of other foods in the house if he is hungry, so he isn't limited per se, just not eating as much crap as he used to :happy:
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Right. Just do it, in the words of Nike. There's no other way.

I'm lucky to have a significant other that is supportive (and 140 pounds soaking wet) in my weight loss. It is harder when we're together because one of the things people do to share time together is eat so I can stay focused easier when I'm by myself.

The MOST important thing I've learned is that it takes a LOT of time. I told myself I would try this thing for a year. A whole year. The time is going to pass whether I stuff my face and get fatter or focus on me and get fitter, so why not just TRY. Eating junk constantly isn't making me thinner, so why not try something new.

The second most important thing I've learned is that a bad day, a few bad days or even a week of crummy eating is not going to deter all your hard work in the long run. If you work hard for two months and then life happens and you eat junk for 10 days straight, you are not going to gain every thing back. You will gain something, mostly water and bloat weight, but as long as the good days grossly out number the bad (say, 48 weeks out of 52 in a year) you WILL see results.

When I first started, my best decisions were eating a regular hamburger and small fries over a big mac meal at mcdonalds. Then, I bought a lot more quick foods to have at home. Pre-portioned things like a single serving mac and cheese or single serving beeferoni. It got me into the groove of counting calories and learning my boundaries.

Then, I wanted to eat more food because I was still hungry, so I just added in vegetables and fruits. Heaped my plate with double the vegetables and just one serving of meat and potatoes. I could eat a lot more bulk and feel less hungry. If you can't fathom cutting out the oreos and donuts, start out by buying 100 calorie packs. Even if you eat three of them, you can SEE WHERE your calories are going. Eventually, it'll click that you want to eat more actual food and it's just not worth the value of calories in junk.
    ditto!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing this together. It was his idea since I'd always failed at dieting on my own. Together since May we've lost 85 lbs. Power 90, P90X, I do 1200 calories daily and he does 2000 calories daily. It's MUCH easier doing it with someone. We started by clearing out our entire house of junk food...we threw everything away that was bad. We buy all fresh produce, we eat lots of chicken and veggies, soups and chilis, and if we eat carbs they're whole wheat and not often. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet, so every now and then we will have a "cheat" meal. We don't go 4,000 calories crazy, but we don't beat ourselves up if we go over our calorie goal by a few hundred calories w/ those cheat meals...they're usually once a week!