New reward/comfort system

Options
I need tips on how to create a new reward or comfort system for myself. I reckon I function the same way as a lot of people here, when I have something to celebrate (some small, personal thing like passing an exam) or when I'm really bummed out about something (bad days in general) I tend to treat myself to, well, treats.

I need a new system for rewarding and comforting myself that does not involve crisps, ice cream or chocolates... Any tips? What have you exchanged that pity- pint of ice cream for?

And I know that some people will suggest "working out" or "a long healthy walk" but I don't think my mind will interpret that as a reward or comfort (besides, I have a dog, so I get plenty of the long healthy walks).

Another issue is money, being a student I couldn't afford buying something even moderately expensive everytime I feel up/down (a bar of chocolate has the unfortunate trait of being within the budget...)

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    long healthy life, pretty decent reward imo
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to art supplies.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I love jewelry, so I decided every time I lost 5 lbs, I could get a new pair of earrings...you can usually get a pair for $5 or less.
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    New toys for my homegym, new shoes, new clothes. :wink:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the food. I have to make a conscious effort not to call it a reward and make sure whatever I have fits in my calories. Doesn't always work but the more I try the better I'll get. As for alternatives: clothes, shoes, jewellery, bags. Or if you're short of cash can you fit in some downtime? Like say, an evening off with a big huge, bubble bath and a book or a night out to see a movie. Something like that. Something that makes you feel good.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I like to buy myself a pack of cloves. Sweet, sweet cancer. It can be anything you want, just not food. Remember you are not a dog, you do not get a biscuit.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    New clothes that look good on me are a wonderful reward! Nothing feels better than looking in the mirror and thinking "wow, I look good today!" This is a new and exciting feeling for me and it keeps me motivated! =)
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Breaking the food=reward habit is difficult if not impossible. Personally, I love to cook, and I'm good at it (and what good is cooking if you can't eat what you cook?), so it's a double whammy.

As someone on a budget, I can't go out and splurge on a new watch or tie or what-have-you either.

As you get fitter, ideally the workouts will become rewarding themselves. For me, hitting the peak of a compound hill in spin class at 95% of max heart rate, going full out, is a tough high to beat. It will come with time.

As far as food goes, one thing you can try is making substitutions. For example, instead of ice cream, I'll have a Chobani fruity greek yogurt; it gives a similar sweet/dairy/creamy/tasty fix, but with better nutrition and fewer calories.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I love to buy clothes! And because I'm transitioning sizes - and I like a bargain - I shop in consignment shops and buy used clothes. It's amazing how many nice things you can find and pay very little. Every time I buy a new item, I get rid of an old (too big) one. I give them to a friend or to Goodwill. That way I don't have big clothes to fall back on. I bought a pair of designer jeans for $4! That beats eating any bad food!
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My hubby started mine. For each 5lbs I lost, I got a new pair of shoes! :)
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm a student on a budget too. I've rewarded myself with new workout clothes, they don't have to be expensive just that they were in nice bright colours and fit properly instead of huge baggy don't-look-at-me things.
  • camillaiae
    camillaiae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like to buy myself a pack of cloves. Sweet, sweet cancer. It can be anything you want, just not food. Remember you are not a dog, you do not get a biscuit.

Hah, true! But food as reward works so well on my doggie... Maybe I'll try to click train myself :)
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Carb Nite Solution or Carb Backloading, depending on your goals, offer solutions to reward yourself on a schedule.
  • patxrose
    patxrose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to playing a game on the computer. Another thing I do is have good quality handcream available whenever I sit down to watch TV. If my hands are creamy and smell good I can't eat. Try creaming your feet too, you can't get up to go into the kitchen then.
  • camillaiae
    Options
    long healthy life, pretty decent reward imo

Absolutely, but unfortunately my brain (and most peoples) are not wired to rate any reward far off into the future higher than an instant gratification - I reckon that's what makes all of our lives so difficult.
    But I will keep it in mind!
  • camillaiae
    Options
    I'm a student on a budget too. I've rewarded myself with new workout clothes, they don't have to be expensive just that they were in nice bright colours and fit properly instead of huge baggy don't-look-at-me things.

that's a really good idea actually.
    As I spend rather a too large amount on clothes already every month my focus is cutting down on that, so I think that would add to my guilt.
    But work out-clothes is different, it makes going to the gym so much more motivating!
  • camillaiae
    Options
    My hubby started mine. For each 5lbs I lost, I got a new pair of shoes! :)

I think I will pitch that idea to my boyfriend :D
  • stopkasisaidso
    Options
    New clothes that look good on me are a wonderful reward! Nothing feels better than looking in the mirror and thinking "wow, I look good today!" This is a new and exciting feeling for me and it keeps me motivated! =)

I completely agree with you! Putting on a pair of jeans that used to fit VERY snug but are now very comfortable is very gratifying.