Can I donate Blood?

Options
JustRenea
JustRenea Posts: 82 Member
They are having a blood drive at my school this week and I'm wondering if my weight could stop me from donating? ..im 294 pounds v.v ..also...I hate needles...and If i have to get blood taken out, I prefer the needle going into my hand instead of my arm, would the Red Cross allow me to do that?

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    They are having a blood drive at my school this week and I'm wondering if my weight could stop me from donating? ..im 294 pounds v.v ..also...I hate needles...and If i have to get blood taken out, I prefer the needle going into my hand instead of my arm, would the Red Cross allow me to do that?

Donating blood is the only time you are allowed not to give 100%

every other activity give 100%
  • JustRenea
    Options
    [/quote]

Donating blood is the only time you are allowed not to give 100%

[/quote]

That's a funny statement lol
  • JustRenea
    Options
    I really want to donate Blood...i have some friends who all donate blood...and it's nice that it's on Halloween. I just cant stand needles in my arms...has to be the hand...but i dont know if they'll let me....and 2nd i dont know if im too heavy..
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    its only affected if you are underweight, but there's alot of other things too, they will ask 100 questions to see if you pass. And take a sample to check your iron. I used to work in a blood bank. . Overweight doesnt matter.
    And it had to be in the arm ,not the hand.
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think they only care if you don't weigh enough. It can't hurt to ask... but I gave blood once and it takes a while from the arm, it may take quite a bit longer from the hand (where the dr's office usually takes it). If it is any consolation, the people who work for the blood banks are rockstars at finding veins, even with difficult sticks like me.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    your weight won't be a problem unless you have unsafe blood pressure or something like that. You can always ask about hand location instead of arm. I donated for years over 300 lbs.

as a bonus, did you know your body burns around 600 calories as it replenishes the blood you donated? 600 calories for 10 mins laying down? Sign me up!
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    They will not take blood out of your hand.

I was a blood banker for several years. The needle is too large to use a hand vein.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, as the sister of someone whose life was saved by blood donations...thank you for wanting to donate and please don't let fear of the needle in your arm keep you from donating...you will save lives!!! <3
  • JustRenea
    Options

I was a blood banker for several years. The needle is too large to use a hand vein.

0.o ..needles too large...terrified of needles to a new level

...and just a note...I got sick about 2 years ago ...didn't know what was wrong (dizzy all the time ...felt faint) ..it eventually went away (it was when i was losing weight) ...but during this time I had blood taken to be tested 5 times in 4 months...the last time...I passed out ...freaked out...and was sick for DAYS afterwards ...so...since then I've been terrified of blood .....and as for liking the hand...i've never had issues getting blood taken from my hand..but if i did it from the arm...i was once poked 9 times ..it ..hurt...so bad!!!!!! I just want to face my fears of blood and needles so I can start donating everytime the blood drive comes to campus
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

They just check for your iron. If thats good then you can donate.
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options

...and just a note...I got sick about 2 years ago ...didn't know what was wrong (dizzy all the time ...felt faint) ..it eventually went away (it was when i was losing weight) ...but during this time I had blood taken to be tested 5 times in 4 months...the last time...I passed out ...freaked out...and was sick for DAYS afterwards ...so...since then I've been terrified of blood .....and as for liking the hand...i've never had issues getting blood taken from my hand..but if i did it from the arm...i was once poked 9 times ..it ..hurt...so bad!!!!!! I just want to face my fears of blood and needles so I can start donating everytime the blood drive comes to campus

poked 9 times?? that person did not know what they were doing! Jeez. don't let that stop you, Most phlebotomists are very good at this and find the vein first time and it shouldn't hurt more than a tiny prick.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to drink LOTS of water beforehand...it will make it easier for them to find a vein. Enjoy :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Be of good courage! Just stick your arm out and don't watch!

I donated over a gallon (not all at once :wink: ). These days they won't take my blood because I was in Europe in the early 80's and may have Mad Cow Disease. I'm not worried. :grumble:
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Best you ring your blood service and ask them directly.

I know here in Australia they wont take blood if your pulse is over 100. I found this out when my learner driver son drove me to my appointment and my pulse and BP were high LOL.

Obesity related diseases could be a problem, such as diabetes, high cholesterol etc, so best you just ask them. Different places will have different rules. Also no point getting there if they wont take it from your hand :)

Good on you for wanting to do it. Giving blood is sometimes the only thing we have left TO give...and I applaud anyone who not only gives blood, but is on the bone marrow and organ donation registers x
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

There are different size needles. Different "gauges" they're called. The one they used in your hand is (most likely) a "butterfly" needle, and that's about a 25 gauge. (the higher the gauge, the smaller the needle, so a 25 gauge is smaller in diameter than a 22 or 18) The ones used for blood donation collection are bigger. They won't fit in your hand.

Oh, and being poked 9 times is freaking ridiculous. A different phlebotomist should have tried after the first person's second failure.
  • Stargazer3777
    Options
    May be an IT Guy, but I do work for a blood center. I know we recently started deferring for weight, but the only reason on that was that someone looked up the limits on the Mobile Unit chairs, and it was 350, so they are calling it a safety issue. Two edge sword for me, as (ESPECIALLY right now, with the East Coast stuff) I want to donate again, but I guess that is just motivation to keep on losing!

I would contact the company doing the drive (The organizers at your school should be able to get you a contact), and ask them any questions, they should have a phone number. You could also speak to the Lead on at the drive. Most of them are great people, and should be able to answer your questions, too.
  • JustRenea
    Options
    So Today I donated Blood!! I went into the little donating bus...they said i was perfectly fine to donate blood....I donated...and then i passed out. Twice. :sick: :ohwell: But Hey, I still donated!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    So Today I donated Blood!! I went into the little donating bus...they said i was perfectly fine to donate blood....I donated...and then i passed out. Twice. :sick: :ohwell: But Hey, I still donated!

Good for you! I've done it a time or two myself (5.5 gallons so far - 44 donations). It gets easier for almost everyone and is one of the best ways to give to your fellow man. Thanks for donating! :flowerforyou:
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Way to go!! :)