Help With American Football Training

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Just out of curiosity why would you want to play American Football when you can play awesome sports like real football or rugby? Granted, I'd pick American Football over cricket, but not by much.......:laugh:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Run sprints, I played guard for a while there is nothing more fun than blindsiding a d-back on a pulling guard play.
  • McBully4
    Just out of curiosity why would you want to play American Football when you can play awesome sports like real football or rugby? Granted, I'd pick American Football over cricket, but not by much.......:laugh:

To some there is no sport more awesome than Real(American) Football
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Run sprints, I played guard for a while there is nothing more fun than blindsiding a d-back on a pulling guard play.

This. Though usually on our plays it was more a DT or DE. But still; this.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

4 downs to move a ball 10 yards.....what's awesome about that? :huh:
  • Just out of curiosity why would you want to play American Football when you can play awesome sports like real football or rugby? Granted, I'd pick American Football over cricket, but not by much.......:laugh:

hahaha yeah yeah as a brit I hear that a lot lol and I will answer in the same way I always do.....horses for courses lol AF is a great team sport unlike most others in my opinion of course. It's not just the game it's the whole package, the togetherness of the team, the we either win together or lose together, your only as good as your weakest player, band of brothers,mentality...

but thats just me
  • Run sprints, I played guard for a while there is nothing more fun than blindsiding a d-back on a pulling guard play.

must admit I do like the idea of blindside and maybe one day I'll try it lol
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member

hahaha yeah yeah as a brit I hear that a lot lol and I will answer in the same way I always do.....horses for courses lol AF is a great team sport unlike most others in my opinion of course. It's not just the game it's the whole package, the togetherness of the team, the we either win together or lose together, your only as good as your weakest player, band of brothers,mentality...

but thats just me

that's what I liked about it too. And, I just liked being allowed to whip someone's *** for 48 minutes.
  • Just out of curiosity why would you want to play American Football when you can play awesome sports like real football or rugby? Granted, I'd pick American Football over cricket, but not by much.......:laugh:

but thats just me

that's what I liked about it too. And, I just liked being allowed to whip someone's *** for 48 minutes.

hahayeah there is that but didnt want to see cocky just yet lol
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member

If you truly had a clear understanding of the game and what it takes to move the ball that far, you wouldn't need to ask that question. :drinker:

Watch the following clip and then tell me that American Football isn't tough.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CryjGwbs6UA
  • McBully4

If that's how you see football. I'm sorry. But I understand to me soccer is just a bunch of guys that were cut from the football team kicking a ball around a giant field for hours not scoring any points.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Get it from Amazon or whatever Brit equivalent there may be. Run that for a year. Get something similar to a Prowler if you can (www.elitefts.com, search for Prowler).

Look up "drive blocking" and "pulling guard." Those will be the most important things for you to do. Pass blocking for a guard is mostly just standing your ground (at the level it seems your league will be starting at). At 550, you shouldn't have any trouble with that.

At 5'11 550, I wonder why they didn't slot you at DT or NT. I'd design the hell out of a 3-4 defense with a guy that size over the ball.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member

If that's how you see football. I'm sorry. But I understand to me soccer is just a bunch of guys that were cut from the football team kicking a ball around a giant field for hours not scoring any points.

Don't forget they're skinny weaklings in girly shorts, too.
  • Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Get it from Amazon or whatever Brit equivalent there may be. Run that for a year. Get something similar to a Prowler if you can (www.elitefts.com, search for Prowler).

Look up "drive blocking" and "pulling guard." Those will be the most important things for you to do. Pass blocking for a guard is mostly just standing your ground (at the level it seems your league will be starting at). At 550, you shouldn't have any trouble with that.

At 5'11 550, I wonder why they didn't slot you at DT or NT. I'd design the hell out of a 3-4 defense with a guy that size over the ball.

awesome I'll certainly look into that ....

They might slot me in somewhere else, I doubt it tho most brit teams from what i've seen, I could be wrong, want to protect the QB at all costs. Bare in mind tho at 550lb im no athlete lol
  • McBully4

Most of my football life I played MLB and I would have loved to have a NT this size, i'd have used him like a bulldozer to get me to the QB so I could get a sack and soak up all the glory
  • McBully4

We ran these plays when I was 10 years old it's pretty basic stuff.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Get it from Amazon or whatever Brit equivalent there may be. Run that for a year. Get something similar to a Prowler if you can (www.elitefts.com, search for Prowler).

awesome I'll certainly look into that ....

They might slot me in somewhere else, I doubt it tho most brit teams from what i've seen, I could be wrong, want to protect the QB at all costs. Bare in mind tho at 550lb im no athlete lol

You will be. Just keep working at it. Proper diet and exercise regimen will help tremendously.
  • Rodamort
    Rodamort Posts: 171 Member

Amen!!!

Stairs for leg workouts!! Even if it is just walking them at first. Squats and lunges are good too. Ultimately you would like to be running or jumping (single leg/double leg) up the stairs, but that will come with time.
    Upper body - work the chest, arms, and lower back. Ended up with a stress fracture in my lower back playing O line in HS (all the bending over and standing up).
    Push ups, Bench, Fly, Military press, Tricep extensions, bicep curls.
    Up-Downs or burpees will help you with cardio and practicing getting up if you fall down :)

Have fun!! I would love it if my town had a football league that adults could play in!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    I don't know how much cardio you're into, but playing football can be long and draining. I would definitely recommend getting some high intensity cardio in a few days a week to boost your endurance. Good luck!!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Where the hell you think your kicker comes from is the same skinny weakling??? duh

As a girl that like to play soccer and watch football.

I have two boys both play lineman positions and yes body strength is a must but can do much with it without tactics you can learn so much from watching football games on tv or the internet or live.

Don't forget they're skinny weaklings in girly shorts, too.