Curves Gym

Options
Does/has anyone else used Curves?

Did you find it helpful? How much did you do? What results did you see?

When I joined it was right by my office and I was able to go 3-5 time s aweek. Now I've moved and I can't hardly go; the nearby locations are not very nearby :'(

I don't think I had a real chance to see if I would get results and Now I am wondering if I should cancel my membership.

Replies

• tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If it's not close, you might not go. Can you find a special some place closer? As long as you're moving...
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I went for over a year and had only minimal results. I think because it is so limited. I stopped and joined 24hour fitness. Now I had to stop that because my job relocated me.:laugh: . Somedays it seems like the cards are all stacked against us.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I hated every blasted minute in that place. The music (none of it original artists - all just crap remakes by studio musicians), was beyond obnoxious, way too loud to bother bringing my own, and I felt like I my senses were being assaulted the whole time. Not to mention the fact that the staff wasn't knowledgeable enough about the machines to teach me to use them without hurting myself.

F**K that.

I had previously attended an independent circuit training gym and loved it. Only stopped going because they went out of business (they couldn't compete with Curves advertising budget).
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I've never used them but from what I've heard the stuff is VERY limited.

Honestly take that 30-50$ and join a real gym. You will get far more out of it for the same money.
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    I love Curves! I used to belong to a Curves before I got married... and I definitely did see results. It helped me to lose 55 pounds and gain muscle tone! I stopped going when I got pregnant (and then had 2 more kids). I just rejoined though and I still love it. I like that it's women only and that it's small (and I like most of the music.) Also, I like that there's an order to it, so I end up using every machine. I've belonged to a regular gym before (Planet Fitness) and the place was so big that I just kind of got lost. I tried using their curves-like circuit machines, but people would pay no attention to the order you were supposed to go in and just used whatever machine they felt like using when it was time to switch (which is really annoying when you're trying to follow the circuit the right way). Also, the atmosphere is so friendly and warm at Curves. I see pretty much the same people every morning when I go and I love chatting with them as we go around the circuit. At PF, I'm sure no one noticed if I was there or not, but at Curves, it's so small that people do notice if you're missing. I'm not trying to knock other gyms. I have a lot of friends that love Planet Fitness. It's just not the place for me. And Curves might not be the place for you... especially if it's far away from you or if you weren't too happy with it your first time around. The other thing you have to understand is that each Curves is an individually owned franchise, so while the staff at my Curves have been awesome, the staff at another Curves may not be as helpful or supportive. (But that's true of any gym). So my advice to you would be to just find a place close by that you feel comfortable with and go with it :-)
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The best place to go is one that you will go to. It has to be convenient and you like it. If it fits those two, stay. If not, find a new place.

Curves is limited, but if you do the workout and continue to get stronger and burn calories, that's what counts. Since it was right next store, it worked for you; since they moved and you don't go, cancel it.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Joined Curves in April 2010-lost minimal amount of weight-really started dropping it whenCurves brought in Circuit w/Zumba-truthfully live in a small community and the owner of Curves didn't have much to do with it after she brought in Zumba instructor-long story short-manager (Zumba instructor) and owner had falling out-I felt like owner didn't give a rat's @$$ about me or my fitness goals and the Zumba instructor (who is also a personal trainer) was the one who really gave me the motivation-so need less to say I followed her to her new gym. I know some women who went to Curves loved it and didn't like the Zumba but for myself I need the extra push I get from my trainer. I also know their info is a little misleading-they say 3 x a week for 30 minutes-that is basic to maintain weight-you need more workouts to lose.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    There is a 24 hour fitness nearby. They are actually open 24 hours! Curves closes at 7 and I work until 6pm; in accoutning even so you know I don't always get to leave on time.

I will be going to the 24. They have a special, non-contract and no initiation fees for Triple A members (woo!)

The Music at the one Curves I went to WAS ridiculously loud. I've burned calories but now have a headache. Haha!!

I liked the idea of Curves because they have machines, but now I have access to a 24 (and this one has TONS of machine and TONs of free weights and tons of cardio machine etc....) so I don't feel bad paying $30 to go there.

Thanks for the input everyone!
  • petstorekitty
    Options
    Joined Curves in April 2010-lost minimal amount of weight-really started dropping it whenCurves brought in Circuit w/Zumba-truthfully live in a small community and the owner of Curves didn't have much to do with it after she brought in Zumba instructor-long story short-manager (Zumba instructor) and owner had falling out-I felt like owner didn't give a rat's @$$ about me or my fitness goals and the Zumba instructor (who is also a personal trainer) was the one who really gave me the motivation-so need less to say I followed her to her new gym. I know some women who went to Curves loved it and didn't like the Zumba but for myself I need the extra push I get from my trainer. I also know their info is a little misleading-they say 3 x a week for 30 minutes-that is basic to maintain weight-you need more workouts to lose.

The Zumba bit bugged me. Mostly because if there was Zumba happening I could not workout.
    You are right they advertise a little misleading. I saw one store say "burn 500 calories in 30 Minutes!"
    Not at the rate they tell you to go, you'd barely do 200.

The one near my old apartment was mostly older women who I think went there to maintain. It was much less awkward than the one I orginally went to which was sort of like what you described.
  • petstorekitty
    Options
    The best place to go is one that you will go to. It has to be convenient and you like it. If it fits those two, stay. If not, find a new place.

Curves is limited, but if you do the workout and continue to get stronger and burn calories, that's what counts. Since it was right next store, it worked for you; since they moved and you don't go, cancel it.

Good points. It would only work if I go and since that's a pain... :) Thanks!
  • petstorekitty
    Options
    I went for over a year and had only minimal results. I think because it is so limited. I stopped and joined 24hour fitness. Now I had to stop that because my job relocated me.:laugh: . Somedays it seems like the cards are all stacked against us.

Seriously feels that way sometimes! This past few months have been nuts! I'm ready for things to settle down.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

So right on!! Exactly this!