Anyone have any SUGAR FREE holiday dessert recipes??

Options
Lobster1987
Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
Post some great recipes that are fabulous please :)

Replies

• Lobster1987
    Options
    Oh come on.....I want some good, trusted recipes. Anyone? :)
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Do we really not have any sugar free eaters here?
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love this

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/12/17/vegan-raw-gingerbread-men/

But there is a bit of sugar from the dates
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use splenda in my biscotti, pies, and pudding recipes without any problem. I find if I use it in my cookie recipes they are OK but I don't enjoy them as much. So I don't worry about the sugar in my holiday cookies. We decorate our tree with beautifully decorated and wrapped cookies. I enjoy ONE every night after dinner knowing that tomorrow I get to unwrap another one. If they were all in a cookie jar I'd probably eat more.
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    not sure if you would consider this a dessert but I love taking apples, grapes and bananas and dicing them up.,..then I sprinkle on some cinnamon and add a touch of agave nectar...........tastes like christmas to me!
  • kepirus
    kepirus Posts: 79
    Options
    not sure if you would consider this a dessert but I love taking apples, grapes and bananas and dicing them up.,..then I sprinkle on some cinnamon and add a touch of agave nectar...........tastes like christmas to me!

Very interesting!! Could you provide more details? How small of a 'dice'? What kind of apple? I'm trying to picture it . . . is it more of a 'finger-type' food, or need a spoon/fork?
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Any other Christmas treats?

My problem with using Splenda instead of sugar, is that it doesn't seem like they're right....like the dough is drier and I don't know how to fix that because I'm a newbie baker...So if anyone has any recipes that are designed specifically for Splenda...share please! :)
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Any other Christmas treats?

My problem with using Splenda instead of sugar, is that it doesn't seem like they're right....like the dough is drier and I don't know how to fix that because I'm a newbie baker...So if anyone has any recipes that are designed specifically for Splenda...share please! :)

shouldnt use splenda, ur body doesnt digest it . stevia is the number 1 sweetener out there now made from a plant and safe
  • TreKelz
    Options
    Stevia is definetly the way to go. I just used some this week to bake some cookies. It's sweeter than regular sugar, I was told you should use half the amount because of this.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    stevia has a weird after taste
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am going to make a sweet potato brulee for dessert this holiday season. Skinnytaste has a recipe and I am going to omit the brown sugar on top. I think sweet potatoes are plenty sweet on their own. It should be a relatively guilt-free dessert. =)
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It's not a recipe; sugar free jelly powder + water = yummy jelly at 8 calories per serving. Nom
  • erika613
    erika613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like this one. I've used it for the last 3 years at Thanksgiving and people love it.
    http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/cheesecake/pumpkin-cheesecake/

If you want a sugar-free crust too, I've used this crust before (but not the actual cheesecake, so I cannot comment on that part)
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/lcarbcheesecake.htm

For baking, I like using the Splenda baking blend. It's a mix of sugar and splenda so you still get the right texture and stuff that comes from using sugar. But, then it's no longer sugar-free.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie is an easy one to sub out the sugar for other sweeteners, works every time! Most from scratch puddings are pretty good sans sugar too!
  • thyme4me
    thyme4me Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!
  • morgycg
    morgycg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is easy to substitute ripe bananas or apple sauce for sugar in many recipes. But fruit still has sugar. So are you looking for recipes that have no cane sugar? I actually prefer to use apple sauce and small amounts of real sugar to artificial sweeteners, which I avoid at all costs. I don't feel that ingesting chemicals is healthy. Not sure yet about stevia since there hasn't been any longitudinal research on it yet.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is terrific - raw pumpkin pie:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bhankiii/view/raw-pumpkin-pie-439636

Another thing I make often is dates dipped in really good unsweetened chocolate (Scharffen-Bergers), sometimes stuffed with either nuts or cacao beans.

I don't eat sugar and I don't eat artificial sweeteners, but I do allow myself sweet fruits. Some people say there's no difference between fruit sugar and table sugar, but it's made a huge difference for me.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    yeah, no added sugar....natural fruit sugars are good
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Here's the sugar free pumpkin cheesecake I've made for my diabetic brother in law and it was a big hit.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/11/sugar-free-pumpkin-cheesecake-for.html

I used Truvia instead of Splenda though and it came out great.
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe that doesn't sound to good but once you try it, you will love it.
    16 oz. fat free cottage cheese, small curd
    1- 3oz. box of sugar free jello, just the powder don't make it into jello Our favorite is lime flavor.
    1 small can crushed pineapple in its own juice, undrained
    16 oz. Cool Whip Free

Mix the jello powder with the cottage cheese until all the cheese is colored with the powder. Add the can of pineapple with the juice, mixing well. Fold in the Cool Whip until all is well mixed and refrigerate for at least an hour or two. It will puff up a little and no-one will know it is sugar free and low calorie. My Grandson hates cottage cheese and I had made this a few years ago for a quick dessert in the summer. He ate it and loved it. I told him I made it with cottage cheese and he said he didn't care because it was so good. He is now 23 and this is his favorite dessert. He is in the Navy in Bahrain and makes this up for his buddies who all love it too. The first time I tried it I thought it was great. Let me know if you try it and how you like it. It is also great for diabetics. I have made it with all flavors but the lime flavored jello is the one everyone seems to like best.