Help With American Football Training

13»

Replies

• TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Just out of curiosity why would you want to play American Football when you can play awesome sports like real football or rugby? Granted, I'd pick American Football over cricket, but not by much.......:laugh:

To some there is no sport more awesome than Real(American) Football

4 downs to move a ball 10 yards.....what's awesome about that? :huh:

LOL...so whats so awesome about scoring 1 goal in a futball game?
  • Run sprints, I played guard for a while there is nothing more fun than blindsiding a d-back on a pulling guard play.

Amen!!!

Stairs for leg workouts!! Even if it is just walking them at first. Squats and lunges are good too. Ultimately you would like to be running or jumping (single leg/double leg) up the stairs, but that will come with time.
    Upper body - work the chest, arms, and lower back. Ended up with a stress fracture in my lower back playing O line in HS (all the bending over and standing up).
    Push ups, Bench, Fly, Military press, Tricep extensions, bicep curls.
    Up-Downs or burpees will help you with cardio and practicing getting up if you fall down :)

Have fun!! I would love it if my town had a football league that adults could play in!

thats going to be my hardest thing....getting my *kitten* off the ground lol.... I can squat, power up ..but if im on the deck it takes me and a crane ages to get up haha ha
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Run sprints, I played guard for a while there is nothing more fun than blindsiding a d-back on a pulling guard play.

Amen!!!

Stairs for leg workouts!! Even if it is just walking them at first. Squats and lunges are good too. Ultimately you would like to be running or jumping (single leg/double leg) up the stairs, but that will come with time.
    Upper body - work the chest, arms, and lower back. Ended up with a stress fracture in my lower back playing O line in HS (all the bending over and standing up).
    Up-Downs or burpees will help you with cardio and practicing getting up if you fall down :)

Have fun!! I would love it if my town had a football league that adults could play in!

thats going to be my hardest thing....getting my *kitten* off the ground lol.... I can squat, power up ..but if im on the deck it takes me and a crane ages to get up haha ha

I feel your pain. My boot camp instructor sometimes asks us to do up and downs. I have to beg off because I still haven't lost enough weight to be able to do that. My up and downs are more like "get up on all fours, then push up onto knees, then put one knee up, then grab onto the nearest stationary object and pull with all my might". :laugh:
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Just remember that American Football is NOT and endurance sport. its a sport that revolves around high intensity effort for a few seconds during a play with rest periods between each play. Interval training, sprints, and agility work are what you need to spend a lot of time on. A good aerobic base is needed but its all about sprinting, like most are saying.
  • Run sprints, I played guard for a while there is nothing more fun than blindsiding a d-back on a pulling guard play.

Amen!!!

I feel your pain. My boot camp instructor sometimes asks us to do up and downs. I have to beg off because I still haven't lost enough weight to be able to do that. My up and downs are more like "get up on all fours, then push up onto knees, then put one knee up, then grab onto the nearest stationary object and pull with all my might". :laugh:

haha yeah that's pretty much what I'm like without the gear on.... when I have my pads and helmet on its more like down on the ground...."a little help........someone?? ......Hello...???"
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Any EXPLOSIVE lifts (squats,Leg Press, Power Cleans, Bench Press,Thrusters)and Box jumps( yes Box Jumps, even if you have to use something short, they are a very explosive exercise)and burpees(up downs). You need to do some Med ball work as well. This will help with your hand work and grip(yes grip,you hold on every play,just keep hands inside and elbows out) so you can push the defender where you want to.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Just out of curiosity why would you want to play American Football when you can play awesome sports like real football or rugby? Granted, I'd pick American Football over cricket, but not by much.......:laugh:

its because he wants to play the sport with the biggest, strongest and fastest athletes as well as the sport with the most tactics. it also has the hardest hits.

and dont give that tired excuse of wearing pads....its the wearing of pads that lets them hit harder. just like boxing gloves...you hit harder and more often when you can wear them.
  • Just want to say a huge THANK YOU for all your advice, Iwill be making a weekly training regime from all this and will report on my progress.... if you want to follow just add me :)
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    I am interested to see how this turns out for you. Everyone pretty much said it, build strength, focus on the lower body. Also I would concentrate on your footwork as well.

Did you watch the NFL game this last Sunday?