Am I loosing weight too fast?

Options
Hi everyone. I am a 26 year old Male that is 5'11". I first started MFP and the whole gym/diet thing at the end of september and weighed 230. today, 10-30-12, roughly one month into it, I am down to 214.6, so a little over 15 lbs lost in one month. I am of a taller frame, and didnt consider myself horribly large (just a big gut) but am I loosing too fast? that's over three pounds a week! I average around 1700 calories net a day, and spend 4-5 nights at the gym a week, 30 min cardio, 30 min strength training different areas. What am i doing wrong?

Replies

• jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    From numbers alone i dont think you are losing too fast. I started at about the same BMI as you and lost about 2-3 pounds a week for the first month. Usually, the heavier you are the easier it is to create a large caloric deficit and lose the pounds. You also have age working in your favor, and weight loss is usually easier for men than for women.

If you think your current eating and exerercise habits are sustainable in the long run, I see no reason to think you are doing something wrong.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. It will slow down.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I hate you . Just joking ;)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. It will slow down.

This
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are losing too fast.

I agree with other, you are in the "low hanging fruit phase"...the rate of loss will slow as you get closer to the goal weight.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I think you've just shocked your system a little bit and are loosing weight quickly to start off. That rate is likely to slow down.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, but a woman and I started heavier than you. I lost 17lbs the first month and the second month ends next week and if I stay on the path I'm on for the next week and a half I'll have lost another 13. It slows down. But if you start heavier, it's much easier to lose quicker in the beginning.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of any weight loss attempt, you ALWAYS lose faster in the beginning. It's mostly water weight & food/waste weight that comes off first.

In the next month you should see that you won't lose 15 pounds, maybe half of that if you keep it up. That's how you know its real fat coming off now.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are losing too fast.

I agree with other, you are in the "low hanging fruit phase"...the rate of loss will slow as you get closer to the goal weight.

Agreed. Now the key is to be prepared for this to happen and not get frustrated when it does. Keep your expectations realistic. It's good that you realize now that the speed at which you are currently losing weight is probably not sustainable when you get closer to your goal weight.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're fine. I've lost 15, 9, and 10 in my first three months. I had more to lose than you do, but your first month will a usually be higher than normal.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Nice - I wouldn't worry. Enjoy it while it is happening because it will probably slow down soon. Plus, normally men lose weight faster than women (guys naturally have more muscle mass than we do and muscle burns fat faster), so you can't judge yourself by most of the posters ... being women ... on here. I have lost 24 pounds in two months and five days and I couldn't be happier ... I am taking it and running with it. If I could maintain a 10 pound a month loss I would be in heaven ... but I know that won't happen. Just enjoy your success and don't get discouraged when/if the weight loss slows down.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You most likely have experienced the first rapid loss that many of us experience. Your first few pounds seem to drop off fast .. be it because you are watching what you eat, water weight, incorporating exercise .. or a combination of all these things. Keep monitoring .. and see if you are still losing at that rate these next few weeks. My guess is you will be slowing down soon. Check in with your doctor .. make sure something else isn't going on and be sure your doctor is monitoring you benignly .. at least go in for a check up :flowerforyou:

Congrats on your weight loss .. keep up the great work!
  • nice59fordf100
    nice59fordf100 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I knew it would slow down the more i lost, i was just surprised at the amount that has come off. my gaol weight is somewhere in the 140-150 range, so i know it will take a good 1+ years to accomplish. I was just worried i was doing something wrong lol