Trouble drinking water?

kiki28riki
kiki28riki Posts: 17
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone else have trouble getting all their water in each day? No matter how hard I try, I can never meet my water goal. My trainer said I should drink half of my weight in ounces. I can barely drink 1/4 of it! Does anyone have any tricks or advice?

Replies

• sharibrat
    sharibrat Posts: 39 Member
    I have the same problem. I just really don't even like water. I can go ALL day long and not drink anything, and then at bedtime I drink 2 big glasses.

I don't and won't do any artificial sweeteners ~ unfortunately, about 90% of what makes the water taste better and be more appealing adds those sweeteners.

Maybe some homemade iced tea? Hot tea? I like the Vitamin Waters, you just have to watch the sugar. Good luck!
  • sollygirl
    sollygirl Posts: 107
    I have the same problem. People tell me the crystal light things that go in your water, but i don't like those either.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Crystal light (or the Target brands are great too) helps me a lot. I keep it a little bit strong, but fill a 1L Fiji water bottle with one packet and that's about 2 cups. I try to drink 4 a day, but get burned out on it some days. It does help. Also, I use an aluminum mug with ice in it to keep it very cold. That's the only way I can get it in!
  • namaste
    namaste Posts: 17 Member
    For a tasty & natural addition to your water, you can add a slice of lemon, lime, or orange, slice of cucumber, a few berries, or any other fruit. It will make the water tasty so you'll drink more of it, plus you'll be getting the added benefits of whatever fruit you add.

Hope this helps!

Namaste'
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    I love water now, but used to have a hard time. The trick for me was to keep a glass of cool water near at hand all the time. I would set triggers for myself, like "every time I answer the phone, I will take a drink of water" or every time I go to the filing cabinet I will take a drink of water" or whatever works for you in your situation. It'll become a habit in no time at all.
  • Trying the following method which will not only help you consume the amount needed, but also helps to maximize its effectiveness on the human body:

2 glasses of warm water after waking up - helps activate internal organs

1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - help digestion.

1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lowe blood pressure.

1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack.

Start with one or two of each method then gradually add another one every other week or one each month!

Good Luck!:drinker:
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    I agree with Catherine, I bought a 2 L FIJI bottle because I liked the look of it and I keep it with me no matter where I go, outside, upstairs to fold laundry in the car, so its always there. And it is becoming habit.

I tried the Crystal Light Stuff in the past, but I didn't really like the taste, and they made me feel dehydrated, I think something in them just didn't agree with me, I actually don't use any artificial sweetners for anything.

Good luck!
  • skinnyjess00
    skinnyjess00 Posts: 50 Member
    I used to have the same problem until I bought a 20 oz bottle. Now I make it my goal to drink out of it 3-4 times per day. It really helps to make it a goal just like everything else. I feel really proud of myself when I reach it every day and drinking that much water keeps bloating down, cuts cravings, and keeps me from drinking diet soda and other less beneficial drinks!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    For a tasty & natural addition to your water, you can add a slice of lemon, lime, or orange, slice of cucumber, a few berries, or any other fruit. It will make the water tasty so you'll drink more of it, plus you'll be getting the added benefits of whatever fruit you add.

Hope this helps!

Namaste'

This is what I do...also, apple slices are great as well. Herbal tea counts as water (no caffeine) so have a cup or two of peppermint, chamomile, or any other herbs (I personally love lavender and basil-yes, I make my own blends).
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    i have been a massive water drinker for years since i live in the desert. for me, if i don't have my water bottle with me, then i won't drink enough! my water bottle is my best friend!!! a great one is the 64oz camelback water bottle with the bite valve top. you can find it online or at any serious outdoors shop (like rei or something). i like it because it's essentially a straw and it makes it easy to sip any time since you don't have to tip it up.....i know that sounds a little ridiculous, but think about how you can mindlessly drink through a straw!!! not bad to drink water mindlessly!!! get that water bottle and never go anywhere without it!!! they also have a size smaller than 64oz if you don't want such a big honkin bottle, but i drink so much water that i would power through the smaller one too fast! i drink at least 4 - 64ouncers every day!!!

get drinking!!!
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    I have a hard time drinking enough water too. Sometimes having a big water bottle is intimidating and I wonder how I'm going to drink it all. So I have a small 8 ounce cup and I fill that up and drink it all down throughout the day and for some reason it's easier. If I'm out and about, I have my water bottle and just sip on it a lot. Every now and then I'll have the Crystal Light but not too much. Plain water is the best! I also drink Iced Tea but try to be careful due to sugar content.
  • ericac
    ericac Posts: 2,679

Hope this helps!

Namaste'

I like this idea....I've done lemon and lime but never thought of these others.......thanks cause I have a hard time with this part too!!
  • I had a hard time too....especially drinking water without eating. I used to drink milk with EVERYTHING...but that put me over my calories almost everyday with milk alone!

SO, instead of drinking the milk, I drink water with every meal, and every snack. I am also one of those people who takes a sip after every bite of food...lol - so sometimes I have more than one glass with a meal. Basically, I have at least 5 glasses of water or more with doing just that.

It was a real bummer for the first few days because I love my milk, but you get used to it, and I actually like the water with my meals better now; I've even found myself drinking water in between meals, which I never did before.
  • Just try and keep a filled bottle with you all the time (at the desk, whilst cooking, whilst cleaning the house, etc), and you'll be fine. It worked for me :)
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Trying the following method which will not only help you consume the amount needed, but also helps to maximize its effectiveness on the human body:

2 glasses of warm water after waking up - helps activate internal organs

1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - help digestion.

1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lowe blood pressure.

1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack.

Start with one or two of each method then gradually add another one every other week or one each month!

Good Luck!:drinker:

I also used to have a hard time with water intake, but now it's not as hard. I make sure I drink 1 quart (yep, 32 ounces!) before I eat breakfast (from when I wake up until I eat is about 45 minutes to an hour). Then, I work out before I go to work and I drink another quart (yep, another 32 ounces) while working out. If I do cardio for more than 30 minutes, I need to refill the bottle. Then I space out more water throughout the day. I rarely drink soda pop anymore (I refuse to do artificial sweeteners, so diet soda is out for me and regular soda is nasty: sodium benzoate + citric acid = benzene) and I don't want to "waste" my calories on alcohol (not like you can drink alcohol and go back to work - it's socially unacceptable, for good reason).

So, you could start out small. 8 ounces between when you wake up and eat breakfast and gradually increase it. I wouldn't go too much over a quart in an hour--water intoxication can happen (but I don't know at what point). I think of it as flushing the ick out of my system first thing in the morning!

Cheers to you! :drinker:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I fill a pitcher at night with water and either cucumber, lemon, lime, ginger, or peppermint. In the morning I drink a glass before I drink my coffee. After that - I keep water with me at all times. I've been known to "chug" counting to 10 - it's amazing how much water you can drink to the count of 10! Everytime I go pee (a lot) - I drink another 8 oz... my son says I'm "refilling".

Try drinking out of a straw, out of a bottle... whatever. I have a special glass at home - a pretty glass. And I have a special bottle that I carry with me.
This discussion has been closed.