MOROCCAN Chicken and Lentils (Crockpot)

Options
2»

Replies

• gdogra
    gdogra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yum! I am Indian - lentils are standard fare in my kitchen. However, I tend to eat too much rice with lentil soup (Indian dal). This dish sounds like a winner- a combination of protein (chicken), lentils and spices! Thank you :D

FYI: I made some curried chicken breast tonight - you can try this too:
    2 chicken breasts - cut into bite size pieces with pepper, salt and thyme rubbed in
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp red chili powder
    1 tsp garam masala (indian spice mix)
    1/2 fresh lime
    1 green pepper- medium
    2 plum tomatoes

Heat Oil - add chicken and sear quickly. Reduce heat and add veggies (pepper and tomatoes). Add red chili powder, garam masala and turmeric. Saute mix together for 4-6 min on med. high. Add lime and you are done :).
  • knitmom71
    knitmom71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I made this for dinner tonight. It was super yummy. I didn't have any turmeric, so I used curry instead. I increased the amount of cinnamon, because we love cinnamon. I also added about a cup of baby spinach in the last 15 minutes of cooking to add to the veggie content. We all loved it! I might add some raisins or other dried fruit another time.
  • jjchairo
    jjchairo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yum, looks great. Thanks for sharing!
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is sooo easy to assemble. You throw everything into the pot (don't thaw the chicken tenders). You know how with some crockpot recipes you have to brown the protein on the stove BEFORE you can put it in the crockpot (more stuff to wash) well not this recipe - its easy. Nutritional info follows:

MOROCCAN Chicken and Lentils

1 8 oz package baby carrots
    1 1/2 cups lentils, uncooked
    1 1/2 pounds FROZEN chicken breast tenders
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons salt-free Moroccan rub (or 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, l/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, and l/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
    2 (14 l/4 ounce) cans fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth

Place all ingredients, in order listed, in a 4 or 5 quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on high setting 5 hours. Or, cover and cook on high setting 1 hour; reduce to low setting, and cook 7 hours. Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings.

Per serving: Calories 320 Fat 2.0 Sat Fat 0.5 g Protein 40.5g Carbohydrate 33.3 g Fiber 6.7 g, Cholesterol 66mg Sodium 388mg

Note: I followed the 1 hour on high and then found it was done after 3 hours on low. I have a new crockpot so maybe it heats hotter. I hope you like it! :)

So trying this
    used five chicken legs instead
    4 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp sugar
    2Tlbsp paparika
    1 Tbsp Cinnamin
    1tsp ginger and nutmeg
    Set to 4hrs. in crock pot
    Smells good, but uncertain any useful advise?
    Just could not find a premade rub so I bought curry powder because could not remember individual spices suggested
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Why not post this in the recipes board - you would get more response I think?
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    good IDEA
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! I will have to try it out soon. :) Thanks for sharing.
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bumping because I loved it, but haven't had it in forever!
  • Bunnie8646
    Options
    This is sooo easy to assemble. You throw everything into the pot (don't thaw the chicken tenders). You know how with some crockpot recipes you have to brown the protein on the stove BEFORE you can put it in the crockpot (more stuff to wash) well not this recipe - its easy. Nutritional info follows:

MOROCCAN Chicken and Lentils

1 8 oz package baby carrots
    1 1/2 cups lentils, uncooked
    1 1/2 pounds FROZEN chicken breast tenders
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons salt-free Moroccan rub (or 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, l/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, and l/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
    2 (14 l/4 ounce) cans fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth

Place all ingredients, in order listed, in a 4 or 5 quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on high setting 5 hours. Or, cover and cook on high setting 1 hour; reduce to low setting, and cook 7 hours. Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings.

Per serving: Calories 320 Fat 2.0 Sat Fat 0.5 g Protein 40.5g Carbohydrate 33.3 g Fiber 6.7 g, Cholesterol 66mg Sodium 388mg

Note: I followed the 1 hour on high and then found it was done after 3 hours on low. I have a new crockpot so maybe it heats hotter. I hope you like it! :)

That sounds so good, thank you so much for sharing!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Thanks sounds yummy.
  • cottoncandyclover
    Options
    I am going to have to try this.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tiptoethruthetulips