1700 cals of Junk vs 1700cals of clean eating....

Options

Replies

• etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    the above was on sugar, this on sodium. I'd really like to hear other's opinions and theories so that I can discuss it. http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/salt.shtml
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I suspect the junk food eaters (not the ones who go to the extreme) will probably have better results in the long term as it's easier to maintain in the long term.

For most of my weight loss, I had wine and chocolates throughout (only in the last few days I decided to calm it a bit as I'm upping my calories). It's what GOT me to this point. If I had to have only salads and super healthy food, I doubt that I would have endured...

Wine and chocolate are NOT junk food. To me, junk food is all highly processed salty/sugary food with little nutritional value for the calorie content. Really good dark chocolate is full of antioxidants. Wine, in moderation, also has several health benefits. The French have a very long life expectancy. I am not a proponent of "all things in moderation" because, frankly, chips and hotdogs and Big Macs are not good for me. I am not willing to put crap in my body. But I'm sure willing and eager to put some dark chocolate and wine in there.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Nutrition =/= weight loss.

The clean eater will probably have much better overall nutrition- as they are eating macronutrient-dense food. They'll probably feel better, have clearer skin, less illness, better sleep, better performance, etc.

That said, the clean eater would probably do even better with a treat once in a while. They're more likely to stick with their program long-term if they allow for the things they really like (occasionally) along the way. Deprivation is quite demotivating and tends to lead to eventually quitting altogether.

Eating clean has nothing to do with treats. To me it has to do with limiting the amount of processed food that is full of chemicals and other crap. I make a very good apple pie, completely from scratch. It is the most delicious treat I can think of. I don't have it very often because it is high in calories, but I know what went in it. It is very clean!
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Okay first lesson: "Eating Clean" means eating foods as close to their natural state as possible (of course meats have to be butchered and cooked because no one is going to eat a live cow or chicken). It basically contends that eating things as close to natural (not processed) is always better for your overall health than eating items full of chemicals and preservatives. If there are not chemicals or preservatives the food is "clean".

Next, the OP's question... YES you can lose "weight" no mater what you eat as long as you have a calorie deficit. More going out than going in. You can lose "weight" by eating Twinkies, chips, McD's, etc. but are you healthier? Most likely not.

The problem is most people are over-sugared and over-sodiumed (yeah yeah I know but the word works). The problem with 'junk' food and snack foods is they are mostly simple carbs. Simple carbs spike your sugar and burn off quickly leaving you crashed so your body then craves another fix so you eat more to quell the craving. It's a vicious cycle. Believe me I know about carbs and sugar as I am a Diabetic who must constantly monitor both. If you consume complex carbs (whole grains, oats, etc) with an equal amount of clean protein, the complex carbs do not spike your blood glucose and burn off over a longer period of time. This long burn off results in feeling full longer and no cravings because your blood glucose never spikes. This is the principle Type 2 Diabetics use to keep the disease in check via diet and exercise.

Sodium makes you retain water. It's that simple. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant. Restaurant foods are notoriously overloaded with sodium as are processed lunch meats (anything in a plastic container or bag in the cooler sections). If you don;t believe me look at the label the next time you pick up some turkey lunch meat and see how much sodium is in it. Lower sodium = less water retention.

Now the OP asked about "weight" loss. Define "weight" please? Do you mean lose fat or weight? You can lose a lot of "weight" but not necessarily fat. Depending on your activity level you could be losing muscle. But fitness is another deeper topic.

Bottom line the body is an amazing machine that will use whatever you put into it as fuel to survive. How healthy you are however is directly related to WHAT you put in your body. You have to do what works for you. One man's weight loss is another man's weight gain. However I challenge you to eat clean for just 1 month and then tell us if you don't feel better, have more energy, etc. You will save money eating clean as well. But it does take planning to prepare meals. Hope this helps a bit.

Okay, but you are diabetic, I am not. I do well with plenty of sugar and sodium in my diet, I try to exceed the limits set here. Clean? Unless I'm a farmer it's not happening....I don't care to raise cows and chickens and am fine eating tuna that comes in a can, I'm not fishing for it. If it's purchased in a grocery store it's most likely processed. So, your 1700 calories of "clean" does not equal my 1700 calories of "junk", I eat as much as I need to until I've hit my micros for the day or week... sometimes it's 1250 calories, often it's 3000. I'd prefer not to take supplements and don't care about calories, my body takes care of itself. :)

Maybe you do well with plenty of sugar and sodium now, but check back with us in 20 years.
  • PiperMommy11
    Options
    I suspect the junk food eaters (not the ones who go to the extreme) will probably have better results in the long term as it's easier to maintain in the long term.

For most of my weight loss, I had wine and chocolates throughout (only in the last few days I decided to calm it a bit as I'm upping my calories). It's what GOT me to this point. If I had to have only salads and super healthy food, I doubt that I would have endured...

THIS
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

The clean eater will probably have much better overall nutrition- as they are eating macronutrient-dense food. They'll probably feel better, have clearer skin, less illness, better sleep, better performance, etc.

That said, the clean eater would probably do even better with a treat once in a while. They're more likely to stick with their program long-term if they allow for the things they really like (occasionally) along the way. Deprivation is quite demotivating and tends to lead to eventually quitting altogether.

Eating clean has nothing to do with treats. To me it has to do with limiting the amount of processed food that is full of chemicals and other crap. I make a very good apple pie, completely from scratch. It is the most delicious treat I can think of. I don't have it very often because it is high in calories, but I know what went in it. It is very clean!

You seem to be completely missing my point, and some kind of clean eating fanatic. Good for you that you have the time to bake "clean" apple pie from scratch when you want a treat. Do whatever works for you. Nobody ever said home made apple pie isn't awesome and delicious- of course it is! If you ate a pre-made tastycake apple pie once in a while, or even a McDonalds's hot apple pie, and it fit in to your macros, it wouldn't kill you either.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Innumerable studies show that the greatest factor in weight loss is calorie deficit.

If you were able to accurately determine calorie content between 'junk' and 'regular' food and both diets set at the same calorie deficit, then both would lose the same amount of weight.

Other factors:

Volume:
    A 45g bag of chips is going to be in the vicinity of 240 calories. Eating the same quantity of calories (240 cal) in iceberg lettuce will require that you eat about 2.5kg of lettuce. Lettuce is the extreme end of the scale, but you could safely eat a couple of carrots, a lebanese cucumber, several florets of broccoli, some cauliflower, green beans and a few stalks of celery and still be under 240 calories. The latter will take you a good 15 minutes of nibbling to eat and last hours (can attest for this with personal experience) vs the chips which are gone in a few mouthfuls and you're hungry again in an hour.

Cost:
    I don't know what it's like in the States (where it seems most MFPers hail from) but locally here in Melbourne, it is far, far cheaper to buy fresh and semi-fresh vegetables than to eat out, SO LONG AS YOU KNOW WHERE TO SHOP. A bunch of celery (2.2kg) costs $1.49 at our local Chinese grocer. Beans were $4.99/kg, cauli $2.99 per head, broccoli $1.99 per head, carrots $1.30 for a 1kg bag, cucumbers $2.49 apiece. Total cost for a week's worth of healthy snacks for two people was in the vicinity of $15, or about $1 a day per person. Equivalent cost of chips would be $1.50 to $2.00 per day. So twice the cost (excluding preparation time) for an unhealthy snack.

Attitude / Ethos:
    Sometimes sh!tty food is what you want and what you crave. It's literally about what's more important to you - losing weight or eating food you crave. There's no 'right' answer, it's what you're comfortable with. I think that should be the core of this thread, you do what gets you to your weight loss goal.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Okay first lesson: "Eating Clean" means eating foods as close to their natural state as possible (of course meats have to be butchered and cooked because no one is going to eat a live cow or chicken). It basically contends that eating things as close to natural (not processed) is always better for your overall health than eating items full of chemicals and preservatives. If there are not chemicals or preservatives the food is "clean".

Next, the OP's question... YES you can lose "weight" no mater what you eat as long as you have a calorie deficit. More going out than going in. You can lose "weight" by eating Twinkies, chips, McD's, etc. but are you healthier? Most likely not.

The problem is most people are over-sugared and over-sodiumed (yeah yeah I know but the word works). The problem with 'junk' food and snack foods is they are mostly simple carbs. Simple carbs spike your sugar and burn off quickly leaving you crashed so your body then craves another fix so you eat more to quell the craving. It's a vicious cycle. Believe me I know about carbs and sugar as I am a Diabetic who must constantly monitor both. If you consume complex carbs (whole grains, oats, etc) with an equal amount of clean protein, the complex carbs do not spike your blood glucose and burn off over a longer period of time. This long burn off results in feeling full longer and no cravings because your blood glucose never spikes. This is the principle Type 2 Diabetics use to keep the disease in check via diet and exercise.

Sodium makes you retain water. It's that simple. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant. Restaurant foods are notoriously overloaded with sodium as are processed lunch meats (anything in a plastic container or bag in the cooler sections). If you don;t believe me look at the label the next time you pick up some turkey lunch meat and see how much sodium is in it. Lower sodium = less water retention.

Now the OP asked about "weight" loss. Define "weight" please? Do you mean lose fat or weight? You can lose a lot of "weight" but not necessarily fat. Depending on your activity level you could be losing muscle. But fitness is another deeper topic.

Bottom line the body is an amazing machine that will use whatever you put into it as fuel to survive. How healthy you are however is directly related to WHAT you put in your body. You have to do what works for you. One man's weight loss is another man's weight gain. However I challenge you to eat clean for just 1 month and then tell us if you don't feel better, have more energy, etc. You will save money eating clean as well. But it does take planning to prepare meals. Hope this helps a bit.

Okay, but you are diabetic, I am not. I do well with plenty of sugar and sodium in my diet, I try to exceed the limits set here. Clean? Unless I'm a farmer it's not happening....I don't care to raise cows and chickens and am fine eating tuna that comes in a can, I'm not fishing for it. If it's purchased in a grocery store it's most likely processed. So, your 1700 calories of "clean" does not equal my 1700 calories of "junk", I eat as much as I need to until I've hit my micros for the day or week... sometimes it's 1250 calories, often it's 3000. I'd prefer not to take supplements and don't care about calories, my body takes care of itself. :)

Maybe you do well with plenty of sugar and sodium now, but check back with us in 20 years.

Sure.. I'm already 40 years old though... quite healthy. I've never worried or thought about calories. I use this app to ensure I'm getting enough sugar and sodium, etc.. If I had a food scale I'd use the cronometer, but I don't and it's not that important that I need to know every single B vitamin recommendation is being hit daily. I'd rather go by how I look and feel, if I'm off I'll go get my blood done to see if I'm lacking in something. So far, the only time was when I was slightly low in iron but it was right back where it suits me without needing much in the way of supplements. I took for 2/3 weeks and forgot the rest. Might have been too much phytic acid blocking some but that might also have been my body protecting me. ;)
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Once again... is this thread about health or weight loss?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

How is an apple pie "clean?" Flour is one of the absolute most processed foods on the planet. Sugar, butter, shortening, cinnamon, all heavily processed foods. The only thing "clean" about an apple pie would be the apples.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The colon cancer/ fiber correlation is so weak. Why bother?

Fiber also affects your cholesterol. Also, foods high in fiber are usually more filling than lower fiber foods with similar amounts of calories and macro-nutrients.

I'm not saying that fiber is a pancea or anything. It's just one of the many benefits of eating clean over eating dirty.

Ohhhhh....what does cholesterol in your diet do?
    http://www.ravnskov.nu/A hypothesis out of date.pdf

seriously, this is old news....
    "The truth is, however, that there is no direct connection between the amount of cholesterol you eat and the concentration of cholesterol in your blood. In most people, eating cholesterol has little or no effect on this amount. In about 30 percent of the population, eating cholesterol does in fact increase the concentration of cholesterol in the blood — but it increases the "good" cholesterol.

To put it in more scientific terms, eating cholesterol "results in a less atherogenic lipoprotein profile."

Huh? Where did dietary cholesterol come from? Nobody here is talking about dietary cholesterol. I was talking about dietary FIBER and BLOOD cholesterol. There're not even remotely similar topics.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Paul Rosin, at the University of Pennsylvania asked people to “Assume you are alone on a desert island for one year and you can have water and one other food. Pick the food that you think would be best for your health.” Choices: “corn, alfalfa sprouts, hot dogs, spinach, peaches, bananas, milk chocolate.” So which food did you choose?

Hot dogs and milk chocolate win. ;)

Of course, is that supposed to be surprising? You'd have to be pretty clueless when it comes to nutrition to pick any of the other choices.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Why wouldn't they be?

ETA: I would love to see a twinkie with the macros and micros of veggies btw.

Twinkies don't have the same macro's and micro's as veggies, and they never will. My point is that it's a loaded question to ask if dirty food would be just as healthy as clean foods if they had the same macros and micros because they don't have BOTH the same macros and micros.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Again, the original post in the quotes stated that " As long as you get your required macronutrients and micronutrients, how "clean" your diet is makes no difference to your health"

Well then it's a loaded quote because the foods will have different amount of micronutrients. It's like saying twinkies would theoretically be just as healthy as veggies if they had the same amount of macronutrients and micronutrients.
    Why wouldn't they be?

Twinkies don't have the same macro's and micro's as veggies, and they never will. My point is that it's a loaded question to ask if dirty food would be just as healthy as clean foods if they had the same macros and micros because they don't have BOTH the same macros and micros.

And THAT is exactly the point. However, if they did (you came up with this), why would they be different re health?

Edited to put back some quotes so this stays in context.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think women in their 20s can do this. After 30 (closer to 40) not so much. Haven't followed any guy's diets. I was able to lose weight pretty easily eating like that as long as I kept in my calorie goal. I lost very well eating 100 calorie snacks, and lean cuisines. I also didn't have to workout and the weight came off. Today, I HAVE to eat clean to maintain my weight loss, and have to work out to improve my shape.

You still may be okay @28, but ask yourself - do you really like eating that crap? Now that I eat clean, I still love to eat out, but only at nice restaurants. I eat fast food very sparingly just because I find it kind of gross most of the time and not worth the calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think women in their 20s can do this. After 30 (closer to 40) not so much. Haven't followed any guy's diets. I was able to lose weight pretty easily eating like that as long as I kept in my calorie goal. I lost very well eating 100 calorie snacks, and lean cuisines. I also didn't have to workout and the weight came off. Today, I HAVE to eat clean to maintain my weight loss, and have to work out to improve my shape.

You still may be okay @28, but ask yourself - do you really like eating that crap? Now that I eat clean, I still love to eat out, but only at nice restaurants. I eat fast food very sparingly just because I find it kind of gross most of the time and not worth the calories.

<
    45 year old and does not eat 'clean' for about 40% of her calories, so that is a bit of an assumption (and I am assuming her that milk is 'clean' otherwise its much higher than 40%)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

"Nice" restaurants tend to be about 10 times worse than fast food restaurants, from a health perspective.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't they be?

]
    Take vitamins with your junk food. voila.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Will the junk food junkie still lose weight? Yes, you can still lose weight, but you will lose lean muscle and not fat. You will be thin but "fat" and unhealthy

Will the clean eater lose more than junk food junkie? Not necessarily, however this person will be leaner, with lower body fat and healthier

We all know that junk food can cause more health problems than just weight gain....So my question is: Is one calorie deficit better than the other? Depends on what you're trying to do....do you want to be thin and "fat" and unhealthy, sick and yes this person will be susceptible to most diseases and cancer b/c their body is acidic and a breeding ground for cancer? or do you want to be lean, low body fat and healthy, less likely to get sick, body is more alkaline, ph balance is not right for cancer?
  • steponya82
    Options
    Just think of all the bad stuff they are putting in their bodies. I just started this whole "diet" after having my third daughter, i dont have ALOT to lose, but i found my self going up in weight rather than down. The way i have always stayed at a good weight has been a combination of light to heavy exercising (depends on the month) and eating healthy fresh foods. I rarely go out and once in a blue moon go to fast food. Stay away from sodas etc.....trust me it definitely makes a difference!