Paleo Diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to oversee this discussion to ensure it covers the obligatory "paleo" thread topics and reaches its inevitable demise/conclusion.

Carry on.

And I am just here to back up J and laugh at all the things that occur in this thread...
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you on this. I just recently found out that I am allergic to wheat, rye and barely. I am having to cut all of that out of my diet which is not easy by any means. ;) I have some long distance friends that have started this diet but they are on the extreme side. I have done some online research as well. I just wanted to get some input from people who love it and hate it. I think having as much information as possible is the best. =)
    There are numerous ways to eat to be healthy, and there is no evidence that the paleo diet is any better/healthier than any other ways to eat or other diets out there. However, many people find it easier to follow and helps them discover new foods. Most would agree that the most sustainable method of eating healthy is to find what works for you, makes you feel good, and helps you stick to eating healthier most of the time. If that's paleo or some version of it, then go for it, but don't be fooled by the health claims people make about it. They are mostly based on anecdotal evidence.

I love it for this reason - I am allergic to wheat, rye, barley, gliadin, gluten, soy, and dairy. It is nice to have a diet plan, or more specifically websites and cookbooks available that do not include any of these things! I am not extreme and still eat rice and potatoes, and beans. If you are having health issues because of the allergies, it can take awhile to reverse any damage done by eating things you're allergic to, so my advice would be to try strict Paleo for 30 days. Then see how you feel and then add things back in one at a time and see how you feel. If you're not, just go gluten free, and use the Paleo websites/books for recipes. One of my favorite blogs for recipes is http://beta.primal-palate.com/category/recipes/
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The OP didn't ask how it compares to other diets, or if it was superior/inferior to other diets. She wants to hear advice from people who have experience with it.

Post your question in the Paleo/Primal support group on MFP and you'll get answers to your questions from people who actually have experience, rather than from people who patrol the boards to immediately slam it.

I have been eating Primal since early July. I lost 16 of the 20 lbs I'm trying to lose. The first couple of weeks were tough, as I realize now I wasn't eating enough food in general, and not enough fat in particular. Now that I'm several months in, I find it very sustainable. The food I eat is delicious since I get to use lots of flavorful healthy fats and my meals are very filling. I don't get hungry in between meals, and I snack much less than before. I no longer get shaky between meals and have the blood sugar swings I used to have. I don't generally miss the foods I have eliminated. If I do, I treat, but still generally try to stay gluten free. I like the philosophy behind Paleo, and I try to source my veggies and proteins from good local organic sources. I've decided that while other diet strategies (low cal, low fat, low taste) might be just as effective for weight loss, this way of eating is much more satisfactory to me. I enjoy my meals, and feel totally in control of my choices. If you want to learn more, feel free to join the Paleo group and ask questions.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It feels like something is missing from this thread...

...I just can't figure out exactly what it is.

Hmmm...
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love it. I will never go back. It makes complete sense to me after doing my research. I tried it and lost 25 lbs alone in the first two months. It is more focused on getting rid of inflammatory foods. I would say it is not for everyone. If you like your grains, dairy and legumes too much then this won't work for you. If you're down with meat, good fats, fruits and veggies then you'll do fine. Don't listen to the nay Sayers who have never tried this. Do your research yourself. Check out "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain. Feel free to add me or message me with questions.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I can see how it is something that some people like while others are against it but that goes with all diets/life style changes. =)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Love it. Thanks to Paleo I'm now trying something called Carb Back-loading, which is essentially paleo and IF combined, except you eat super low carb (30g or less, so not much room for anything but veggies [no fruit]), and you get to eat cupcakes and **** on nights after you work out. But I love Paleo! My energy levels are much more constant when I stick to it, and I lose body fat like crazy.

ETA: recommended reads are The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf and It Starts With Food.. by.. I forgot their names.
  • nclax
    nclax Posts: 2
    Options
    I have to say that it can be extreme, but it is also very rewarding if you do it for the right reasons. There are a lot of people who prefer diets with way less meat and, as I used to be a vegetarian, this was a HUGE swing for me. But, I have health complications that necessitate my cutting WAY back on carbs and I've found that this is a healthy and sustainable way for me to manage my health and lose weight. It is tough and, I won't lie, I cheat but when I follow it strictly, I lose between 3-5 pounds per week (I have 75 to lose).
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    www.reddit.com/r/paleo
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There's loads of info online. A know a few folks on Paleo, some are athletes and fitness trainers, some are folks with allergies. While they're not entirely the same, you will find related into under the terms Primal and Clean Eating.

There is probably more content on blogs/podcasts etc than MPF, but as other posters have suggested, join the Paleo related groups for those actually following Paleo plans.

Regardless of what eating plan you follow, there are a lot of good Paleo/Primal/Clean recipes that fit in well with other plans.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting this and am looking for advice. For those that are doing this diet how do you like it? I know it is a lifestyle change as well so was it difficult at first? Thank you in advance for the help.

I love this lifestyle. So much that my family has now named me the resident hippy in my family, LOL.

I didn't just adopt this lifestyle in my food eating, but in most aspects of my life. I make my own deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, cleaning supplies and use soap nuts for our laundry.

I have started seeking out more natural made clothes (my off work clothes, I have no control over what my company orders for shirts and such).

It is nice to get exercise in the form of natural movements, playing, etc and not some rigid gym. I get outside and enjoy the sunlight, fresh air and playing with my dogs.

I was already a clean eating controlled carb eating person (Atkins) so the transition was a bit easier for me. With Atkins though I was able to eat oatmeal and have more dairy because of the phase I was in with Atkins.

I have incorporated both Atkins and Paleo into my life to control Diabetes and have the best numbers I have seen in years with my blood work.

I have found I have more energy, sleep better and get sick much less (except now I am battling a dang cold).
  • rc12345
    rc12345 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have tried Paleo and I really liked it. It is important to remember what your goals are (after ruling out things like allergies). If you only want to lose weight, it may not matter to you how you get there- dropping calories and carbs will help you lose weight. I'm not saying its the best way, just that it is possible. I have known people to lose weight eating only fast food (with no exercise) because they didn't really care if they lost fat or muscle or both, they just wanted to lose weight.

If you have other goals, like maybe you want to do something like crossfit- Paleo (or something similar might be an option), for those who are trying to build more strength, they might need more protein and carbs in their diet. Again, it's back to eating for your particular goals. Like someone so wisely pointed out, its a matter of finding what works best for you.

Some thoughts:

Some people don't lose fat on this diet, they actually gain (myself being one of them).

It's also important to remember that Paleo isn't necessarily low carb. It's just no grains. You can eat sweet potatoes and quinoa and even wild rice, in some cases.

And truthfully, how is this really extreme? Even 50 years ago my grandpa took a boiled egg and a baked sweet potato in his lunch bucket to work. :) It's just restrictive in the sense that you shouldn't eat fast food.

The best way to know if it's for you is to try it. If you like the results, keep going. If you don't, stop. There is a trainer that I love who always says "how's that workin' for ya?" in regards to exercise and training plans. :)
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I accidentally eat Paleo (except for a slushie now and then).

Because of allergies.

Anyway. I feel great on this diet!!! Don't think there's anything wrong with it if you choose it. However, I wouldn't choose it if I didn't have to. :P It's damned inconvenient.

Glad to read that I'm not alone. Shockingly I discovered that I can't consume gluten and milk anymore. Was wondering why I had diarrhea once a week. Since about 3 months I happily switched to paleo and get great support from my family :) Got a few good recipes from this book hxxp://timreviews.com/ (no, that's not me:))
  • uddermaddness
    uddermaddness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo as well. I have the time to cook and make my own foods. That really is the biggest part of it, you have to take that time and make your own food. I spend sundays cutting up veggies and preparing meals for all week long. That way it's one day of heavy cooking and i am all set for dinner and lunches for the week.

For me I love bread, the idea of giving up bread was slightly terrifying for me. I am not gluten intolerant or anything, I did my research and I liked the idea of cutting out processed foods. I had been thinking about doing it for a while and finally decided that these fake "lowfat" foods on a diet aren't healthy. Veggies, fruit and meat are healthy and even complex carbs. I just don't eat the complex carbs. I feel better for not eating them. I feel full and I feel like I am getting better nutrition this way. If I kept the carbs in the mix I would probably spend my allotted calories on mostly carbs. This way most of my calories during the day go to veggies and a protein source and fruit. I don't have the money or means right now to eat all organic either, so I do the best I can for that.

I mean with any diet/life styl change you want to adopt healthier habits. That's usually the whole idea behind weight loss. For me it's just eating as many veggies and fruits and good protein that I can. I mean I don't see it as an extreme way of eating. I feel like I am just putting healthier options into my body to fuel my body.

I like the way I feel when I eat this way, but it's not for everyone. I plan on staying paleo even after I reach my goal weight. You can try it and if you don't like it than do something that works for you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat paleo as well. I have the time to cook and make my own foods. That really is the biggest part of it, you have to take that time and make your own food. I spend sundays cutting up veggies and preparing meals for all week long. That way it's one day of heavy cooking and i am all set for dinner and lunches for the week.

For me I love bread, the idea of giving up bread was slightly terrifying for me. I am not gluten intolerant or anything, I did my research and I liked the idea of cutting out processed foods. I had been thinking about doing it for a while and finally decided that these fake "lowfat" foods on a diet aren't healthy. Veggies, fruit and meat are healthy and even complex carbs. I just don't eat the complex carbs. I feel better for not eating them. I feel full and I feel like I am getting better nutrition this way. If I kept the carbs in the mix I would probably spend my allotted calories on mostly carbs. This way most of my calories during the day go to veggies and a protein source and fruit. I don't have the money or means right now to eat all organic either, so I do the best I can for that.

I mean with any diet/life styl change you want to adopt healthier habits. That's usually the whole idea behind weight loss. For me it's just eating as many veggies and fruits and good protein that I can. I mean I don't see it as an extreme way of eating. I feel like I am just putting healthier options into my body to fuel my body.

I like the way I feel when I eat this way, but it's not for everyone. I plan on staying paleo even after I reach my goal weight. You can try it and if you don't like it than do something that works for you!

If you like bread, there is a great "slow cooker banana bread" that my wife found in a paleo slow cooker recipe book. Something to look into.