how do you deal with cravings?!?!

Options
Ok so this is my first time using mfb, I saw the site and thought i'd give it a try. One huge problem i have is cravings. I'll be doing really good with eating healthy then I give into my cravings and tend to binge eat, I think thats how you spell it lol. So can anyone give me any suggestions on how to better deal with this or let me know how you deal with this problem. Thanx!!

Replies

• QuietLegs
    Options
    Hmm. I tend to just indulge my cravings by planning out exactly how many calories I need, and then eating that amount. For example, half a pizza is roughly 1200 calories - not too hard for me to exercise / plan around. I'll skip breakfast, or go for an extra long run, etc., to make sure my daily intake is still within maintenance levels. Not to say this works for everyone, but it's worked pretty well for me.

If your issue is that you'll completely avoid certain foods, and then completely lose control and eat thousands of calories, I'd suggest reevaluating your diet plan. Some people have great success with completely cutting out certain types of foods, or even just specific foods. But for some of us, that just leads to serious relapses. I don't prohibit any food for myself; anything is fair game. I just keep fully aware of what I'm eating, how much, and how I need to plan around it.

What's your pattern of destruction? Maybe if you describe some examples, someone - or even you, yourself - might pick up on the problematic patterns and how best to deal with them.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's all about self control. What I do is treat myself to something sweet and a bit unhealthy once a week or once every few days. Don't give into your cravings. Just focus on the big picture and you'll do fine. If you feel like you're gunna binge, just don't. Drink some water to fill you up. Or eat something else like fruit or vegetables instead.
  • jcorinne16
    Options
    Thats a good idea how you figure out the calories and can eat some of what you are craving. Im going to try that I dont know why I didnt think of that before!! Lol ...with my cravings sometimes i jst lose control and eat whatever I want and other times I can control it.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If I deny myself for a week then I just go crazy and have a huge (and regretful) splurge!
    Include sweets or treats every couple of days, by make them fit within your calories for the day! ..Exercise helps cause it increases your daily goal :)
  • jcorinne16
    Options
    It's all about self control. What I do is treat myself to something sweet and a bit unhealthy once a week or once every few days. Don't give into your cravings. Just focus on the big picture and you'll do fine. If you feel like you're gunna binge, just don't. Drink some water to fill you up. Or eat something else like fruit or vegetables instead.
    Thats what I try to do just ignore it or eat fruit or something and it does help to. Ive also done the treating yourself once every few day or once a week to something you are craving and it works too!! I think i just need more selfcontrol :/
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thats what I try to do just ignore it or eat fruit or something and it does help to. Ive also done the treating yourself once every few day or once a week to something you are craving and it works too!! I think i just need more selfcontrol :/
    You can do it. (: Just takes a while to get yourself used to it. I used to binge after like a week of dieting back a few years ago. Now I'll treat myself once every few days and I haven't binged since.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible cravings and would buy loads of chocolate to binge on. I read somewhere that green tea is good for cravings so I started drinking the flavoured kind. I love it and have cut out coffee (except for one in the morning). I don't know if it is the green tea or the healthier eating (I eat lots of fruit and veg) but I haven't had a single craving for months.
  • Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating low fat "diet food As it contains loads of sugar, I eat full fat versions of everything, just smaller portions, I feel satisfied, in fact cutting right down on my sugar intake has had a knock on effect on my savoury cravings as well as my sweet ones. I find it easy to just have a little of what I fancy without blowing everything..
    Hope you find something that works for you, good luck
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I eat my cravings, in moderation.
  • jcorinne16
    Options
    If I deny myself for a week then I just go crazy and have a huge (and regretful) splurge!
    Include sweets or treats every couple of days, by make them fit within your calories for the day! ..Exercise helps cause it increases your daily goal :)
    yap thats me i do the same thing!! Lol im going to try and include it in my calories maybe that will work better and yes i started exercising more a couple days ago so that should help :)
  • RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to do the exact same thing as you. What I have learned to do is just make sure you're doing everything in moderation, and that you're still getting all of your usual nutrition. And adequacy and balance doesn't necessarily have to be day by day-- it can go week to week, or even month to month depending on how in control you feel. Its okay to crave and indulge once in a while, but always remember that moderation is key.
  • jcorinne16
    Options
    I used to have terrible cravings and would buy loads of chocolate to binge on. I read somewhere that green tea is good for cravings so I started drinking the flavoured kind. I love it and have cut out coffee (except for one in the morning). I don't know if it is the green tea or the healthier eating (I eat lots of fruit and veg) but I haven't had a single craving for months.
    Oh wow sounds interesting!! I actually went and bought green tea the other day..I heard it was good for your digestive tract but i havnt got around to trying it yet but you made me curious so im going to lol..and sweets are my main problem to especially chocolate so i try to stay away from it!! And that nutella stuff im like addicted to it!! Lol i have to becareful not to eat the entire jar .
  • positivepineapple
    positivepineapple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    what I usually crave is sweets so what I have almost every night is a chocolate banana peanut butter smoothie... 1 or 2 frozen bananas, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and a heaping tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa.... Its 220 or 320 delicious healthy creamy indulgent tasting calories depending on how many bananas you use. Make sure you use very ripe spotty bananas or it won't be very sweet.

I'm on a 30 day no refined sugar challenge and this has really helped me!

or.... A bowl of oatmeal with a mashed up banana and cocoa powder is very filling and really healthy and yummy :-)

hope this helps!
  • skeyes54749
    Options
    Chris Powell said to eat something with fat. A cheese stick or a spoon full of peanut butter and within 10 minutes your craving is gone! I find peanut butter works the best!!
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options

They say Green Tea is good for boosting metabolism - I need to drink more of it!!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Trouble with me and peanut butter is I could eat the whole jar lol. Green tea is an anti-oxidant it is also supposed to help with weight loss too but I think that it has minimal effect on that. If you don't get on with the plain green tea, try the flavoured or you can add it to gravy and sauces. A really interesting way is to add it to coffee. I love it like that but I do drink black coffee. No harm in trying it and I hope it works for you.
  • Rsm220
    Rsm220 Posts: 5
    Options
    have sex
  • spark409
    Options
    i dont know why but i feel like brown rice and oatmeal has really helped.
    i think eating something quite sweet at bf has helped. what i do is microwave half a banana and top it on oats, with yoghurt, blueberries and cinnamon. i really find it helps cravings in the morning and i dont even eat a lot of it about 300 cal bf. banana is really quite sweet and its healthy :)

and brown rice is really fulfilling i find. if i eat bread/ flour my body will just burn through it so quick and ill end up craving more.

anyway its a fine balance between treating yourself and not depriving yourself.
    good luck
  • positivepineapple
    Options
    Trouble with me and peanut butter is I could eat the whole jar lol. Green tea is an anti-oxidant it is also supposed to help with weight loss too but I think that it has minimal effect on that. If you don't get on with the plain green tea, try the flavoured or you can add it to gravy and sauces. A really interesting way is to add it to coffee. I love it like that but I do drink black coffee. No harm in trying it and I hope it works for you.

admittedly peanut butter is kind of dangerous in my house, that's one thing I absolutely love and have to practice self control when I eat it.

lets just say I have a love/hate relationship with peanut butter lol.... I measure out my portion.... Screw the lid back on and stick it in the back of the cupboard... Out of sight out of mind
  • positivepineapple
    Options
    have sex

there you go! Perfect