hypothyroidism makes me gain weight....

Options
I am dealing with hypothyroidism, and yeah i gain rapidly, but im not taking meds for it becuz of no insurance and ive been eating smaller portions, I stopped drinking coffee, and started to drink tea.. and i stopped drinking soda as well, and drinking lots of water, i've been doing this for the past month and i still feel as if im not losing any weight... to me i still look the same..
i'm 230lbs and im 5'5''.... i keep a low intake of food calories, that keeps me to a 1000 calories intake.. but idk what else.. I've been doing exercises,. my job keeps me busy since Im a caretaker..
i would like advice as well, i also got rid of greasy fatty foods, and cut a lot of foods out, and eating healthier, but still im still
overweight.. i want to lose 30lbs and be at least 200lbs thats my goal for right now.. oh im in the state of florida and Ive tried getting help with medicaid but in this state i've been denied twice by children/families services.

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    kelp can help and you really should look for a free clinic if there is one in your area. try calling 211 and see what information they can give about health care for free or insurance through united way. this is a local call. I'm not sure if it is in all states but I know it is in many
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There is a Hypothyroid group here that has lots of information...you should check it out.
  • PlusSizeGal
    PlusSizeGal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you, Im looking around and i see im not alone with hypothyroidism.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I know you're in a tough spot but you really do need to be on medication for your thyroid issues. Have you tried writing the drug manufacturer to see if they have a program in place to provide medication for you?

Most of us who have hypothyroid issues tend to do better with a very clean diet. If I eat much processed foods, I will gain weight quite easily. If I concentrate on eating more fruits/veggies and fish, I can maintain my weight or lose. Also, try to stay away from soy products as they can aggrevate thyroid problems.

I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss journey. It isn't easy with hypothyroidism but it is possible. Don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Brand-name Synthroid is around $40 to $50 a month out of pocket; my insurance doesn't cover brand name, and I pay $150 for three months. Generic will be cheaper. Go to a low-cost clinic, see if they'll write you a script, and get it filled out of pocket.
  • PlusSizeGal
    Options
    thank you guys for the info.
    @fittocycle.. Im not sure how Florida works but I already been denied twice from receiving Medicaid because I have no Children.
    Im originally from NYC and I had it there with no problem, Ive been off the meds now for almost 2 years and Im still trying to get Medicaid.. Out of pocket it is expensive.. Im self employed and I dont get Paid much with my job but its enough to pay for bills etc.
    Im on my own here in florida so no help from the family at all. It kindof sucks Being the black sheep Ever since my mom passed
    away 2011 ive been feeling alone so im also a bit depressed. Things changed a lot when my mother passed away.
    @collectingblu yes I do agree it is expensive paying out of pocket, Im looking into information in Florida
    of how I can get a prescription and just pay it that way, its a struggle but I have also been eating healthier, Ive recently learned I cant have anything with Soybean Oils and i didnt kno that before, which a lot of foods are made with Soybean.
    Now im constantly checking at the back of the ingredients if it has soybean in it or not :(
  • Dee121212
    Options
    If you can get a prescription from a free clinic, ,make sure that it's for the generic drug (levothyroxine). I have hypothyroid as well and get the generic one for $4 for 30 pills with no insurance. Good luck :)
  • truddy6647
    Options
    http://www.gethelpflorida.org/211resources.shtml

ok this is the link for 211 that I was talking about, you can go here or call. If you call it is a local call. If you go to the webcite choose your county. There is a lot of good info
  • HellyMelly
    Options
    Thyroid issues can make you really ill, so don't ignore them. Having said that a lot of gp's are not that well informed about instances of what to do when standard labs OK, but patient still has lots of weird symptoms. Generally they tell you it is not your thyroid.... Google Stop the Thyroid Madness, or other thyroid patient groups for some self educattion. Many of the deficiencies etc that are associated with malfunctioning thyroid contribute to inability to lose weight. It is a frustrating journey that I have been on for 10 years but only 3 diagnosed hypothyroid. Like others here I find I feel better within myself when eating fresh produce and avoiding processed foods. I also try to limit the amount of bread, pasta etc as I feel better with less in diet.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    A close relative of mine has that issue, and she manages it naturally by taking Niacin pills.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I hope you can find a way to get your Meds.

**I also saw great changes when I started clean eating and got rid of most processed foods. Good luck
  • PlusSizeGal
    Options
    Thyroid issues can make you really ill, so don't ignore them. Having said that a lot of gp's are not that well informed about instances of what to do when standard labs OK, but patient still has lots of weird symptoms. Generally they tell you it is not your thyroid.... Google Stop the Thyroid Madness, or other thyroid patient groups for some self educattion. Many of the deficiencies etc that are associated with malfunctioning thyroid contribute to inability to lose weight. It is a frustrating journey that I have been on for 10 years but only 3 diagnosed hypothyroid. Like others here I find I feel better within myself when eating fresh produce and avoiding processed foods. I also try to limit the amount of bread, pasta etc as I feel better with less in diet.

YEAH I CHANGED MY EATING WAYS A LOT. I USED TO EAT PASTA TIL I DID SOME RESEARCH AND SAW IT WASNT THE RIGHT FOODS I HSOULD BE EATING ALONG WITH BREAD BECAUSE OF GLUTEN AND HFCS, AND NOW SOYBEAN OILS...
    MAN OH MAN IVE BEEN EATING A LOT OF FISH AND SARDINES, AS WELL OF LETTUCE, TOMATOES, CHICKEN IN THE OVEN, I MAKE THAT ALL THE TIME, I CHANGED MY BREAD CUZ I USED TO EAT WHOLE WHEAT BREAD BUT SAW IT HAD GLUTEN IN IT WHICH IS NO GOOD.. SO NOW IM HAVING PITA BREAD THAT I READ WAS GOOD TO EAT.. IM EATING THE GOOD FOODS AND DRINKING TEA AS WELL HAVING FRUITS BUT I STILL DONT KNOW WHY IM STILL GAINING THE WEIGHT, OR NOT SEEING AS IF IM LOSING :(
  • PlusSizeGal
    Options
    I hope you can find a way to get your Meds.

**I also saw great changes when I started clean eating and got rid of most processed foods. Good luck

THANK YOU
  • truddy6647
    Options

YEAH I CHANGED MY EATING WAYS A LOT. I USED TO EAT PASTA TIL I DID SOME RESEARCH AND SAW IT WASNT THE RIGHT FOODS I HSOULD BE EATING ALONG WITH BREAD BECAUSE OF GLUTEN AND HFCS, AND NOW SOYBEAN OILS...
    MAN OH MAN IVE BEEN EATING A LOT OF FISH AND SARDINES, AS WELL OF LETTUCE, TOMATOES, CHICKEN IN THE OVEN, I MAKE THAT ALL THE TIME, I CHANGED MY BREAD CUZ I USED TO EAT WHOLE WHEAT BREAD BUT SAW IT HAD GLUTEN IN IT WHICH IS NO GOOD.. SO NOW IM HAVING PITA BREAD THAT I READ WAS GOOD TO EAT.. IM EATING THE GOOD FOODS AND DRINKING TEA AS WELL HAVING FRUITS BUT I STILL DONT KNOW WHY IM STILL GAINING THE WEIGHT, OR NOT SEEING AS IF IM LOSING :(

I try to get gluten free too...I'm not sure which pita bread you are using but every one that I have looked at has gluten in. I now make bread from scratch using better batter flour (gluten free flour that is cup for cup replacement)
  • HellyMelly
    Options

I try to get gluten free too...I'm not sure which pita bread you are using but every one that I have looked at has gluten in. I now make bread from scratch using better batter flour (gluten free flour that is cup for cup replacement)

Joining this site is a major step in the right direction.

At the end of the day we can only gain weight if eating more calories than we use. Having said that hypothyroidism slows the metabolism and hence burn less...... But be honest with yourself in counting your calories and what you eat. Find vegetables that are less calorie dense, substitute foods etc to get the calories down. One thing I do is I make taco's, but instead of using the shell or soft wrap I use a lettuce leave to hold the fillings... Just have to make sure I weigh cheese, so I do not blow my good work by eating too much cheese! Also when I make mince I put in refried beans and lots and lots of vegetables (basically clean up whatever is in fridge) diced really small. The 'mince' is at least 50% vegetables, but it tastes like taco mince! Same when I make bolognese sauce, hide lots of veg in it diced really small... Depending on my daily calories I sometimes eat it on shredded lettuce rather than spaghetti/pasta.

Do not think about what you are missing - think about what you are gaining. Celebrate the wins, feeling better etc. That is celebrate by acknowledging, not snacking - another new habit :-) Also, try to find a heart rate monitor which will calculate your calories expended during exercise. It does not matter what level you start exercise, just that you start - a short walk, to corner and back, around the block... whatever, it all helps. Not just in losing weight but toning and building/maintaining muscle. We need to build/maintain muscles as they play a huge part in our metabolism and burning calories.....

Having said that you need to manage the hypothyroidism. As I said earlier read the patient to patient sites etc as many of the associated symptoms are not obviously thyroid related. I am not saying you need to follow the synthyroid route as many of us feel terrible on T4 medication only, just that you should become aware of the experience of others and make informed decisions about your health.
  • iwillandican
    Options
    Brand-name Synthroid is around $40 to $50 a month out of pocket; my insurance doesn't cover brand name, and I pay $150 for three months. Generic will be cheaper. Go to a low-cost clinic, see if they'll write you a script, and get it filled out of pocket.
    (a) 3-month supply at Sams Club costs $55 (90-100 pills) for 50mcg (maybe higher for stronger doses). Doctors typically have $10 off coupons which makes these $45 for 3 months. This is the cost WITHOUT insurance.

(b) I maybe preaching to the choir, but doctors recommend at least a 2 hour gap between early morning pill and food. Some doctors also recommend taking the pill before going to bed, to ensure effective absorption of Thyroxine by your body.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Elizabethb52
    Elizabethb52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism, left untreated, is a very dangerous condition untreated. You must take the right amount of replacement thryoxine (T4) and some people also need liothyronine (T3) too. Do not leave this alone. I do not know how old you are but it has a very adverse effect on pregnancy and can seriously and permanently damage the baby. Untreated, you will become very ill over time.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You can get generic thyroid meds at Wal Mart for $4 for a months supply and also at HyVee pharmacies. Low thyroid can cause serious health problems besides weight gain. I have been taking the generic for years now and have had good results. I don't have insurance either, but fortunately Hypothyroidism is not expensive to diagnose or treat. Please take care of yourself!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Dessicated thyroid is generally fairly cheap. I order mine from Canada. Unfortunately, I cannot give you much hope for losing weight until you're medicated. :frown: Sorry you're having to deal with this. I do know what hell it is.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about taking care of yourself - but I also think you need more calories - I am your height and was at the same weight you are at one point - I need a minimum of 1400 calories and many days more than that - you need to net more than a 1,000 and I agree you need to find a way to get on a synthroid -

Heres the group - its great

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism