Weights for women

Options
I'm 168 lb do a lot of walking just started 30 day shred and do Zumba every now and again. What weights would I need to tone my legs arm back etc? Wrist,ankle weights hand weights, how heavy? Never ever done strength training so appreciate help of anyone thanks guys xxx

Replies

• HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Bumpp
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    8-)
  • lisha7997
    lisha7997 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting back up with the strength training portion (doing Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred) I'm using 3lbs and 5lbs right now. My upper body sucks. :smile: If your interested they have videos on youtube for women who are new to weight training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As heavy as you can lift and only able to complete 4-12 reps (depending on goal) 3-5 rep range would lead to the largest strength gains.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use 3lb hand weights when doing the 30DS and when doing small lifts in the gym (: I've used ankle weights before when doing leg lifts (they were quite old, belonging to my mother) but I can't remember how much they weighed, sorry!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to buy and read "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"

Basic advice is to do compound exercises such as deadlifts, squats, lunges, bench press, shoulder press, barbell rows, (weighted) chin ups. Do these using a weight that you can do somewhere between 8 and 12 reps before you physically can't do any more.

Split those exercises over a few days doing 2 sets of each exercise.

That's a good beginners routine I think.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use 3 and 5lbs for the 30DS. For regular strength training I use 8 and 10lbs.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to buy and read "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"

Basic advice is to do compound exercises such as deadlifts, squats, lunges, bench press, shoulder press, barbell rows, (weighted) chin ups. Do these using a weight that you can do somewhere between 8 and 12 reps before you physically can't do any more.

Split those exercises over a few days doing 2 sets of each exercise.

That's a good beginners routine I think.

^^^This^^^

Ankle/wrist weights are NOT recommended. They put unneccessary stress on your ankles/wrists which is unnatural. Use free weights. Work on getting your form right with lower weights initially but then go heavy and work to muscle failure to increase strength.