Jillian Michaels - workouts

Options
Hello :). I was wondering if anyone has had any success actually losing weight with Jillian Michaels? I'm becoming a bit discouraged because the scale just won't budge. First I lose 2 pounds, then gain 2 pounds. UGH. I know I'm not supposed to rely on the scale but gee its been a month since I've been alternating her workouts and still haven't lost any weight with her. I know something is happening because with each new workout I do with her I become extremely sore that its hard to sleep sometimes. I've completed both level 1's of RI30 and 30 day Shred. Have started Level 2 with both, I also have done all 7 circuits of No More Trouble Zone (actually been doing this one for 4 days now) and I've done 4 times of her Blast Fat, Boost Metabolism and the scale just laughs at me. So I'm really wondering if she works. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Replies

• meglet175
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? As you add muscle and lose fat, your weight may stay the same, but you will shrink! I'll take that trade any day.
  • jhunny31
    Options
    I don't have a measuring tape unfortunately however my jeans are definitely looser so to speak and I do see a difference in my middle, arms, and legs. Just wish the scale would show some type of progress. When I just simply walked 7 miles a day the scale moved but eventually stopped due to a plateau so then I went to Zumba which only got me down 10 pounds and then the plateau hit again and now I'm with Jillian :-/
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    yes it works! don't go by the scale at all as most won't lose a lot of weight with her programs but lose inches! i gained 3 lbs when i did 30ds for the 1st time but as soon as i finished the program it came off in 2-3 days. it's just water retention as your muscles are repairing themselves. i still don't think i have lost more ten 2-3 lbs on her programs but i have lost lots of inches. I also think it depends on how much weight you have to lose to start with. I didn't have tons, 20-25 lbs. Each time i have done her program by day 30 i seem to loose the same amount each time. at least it's consistent! :) I have done 30ds twice and i am on rin30 for the second time right now. oh and take pictures, that is the true sign of what is happening. I wish i would of my 1st time but never did and that was the biggest difference of all of them, i do each time now.
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 30DS and lost 18 lbs (of course, I have a lot to lose!). Remember that as you're losing fat, you're gaining muscle, and that's likely the reason you're not seeing as much as a difference on the scale as you would like. If you're seeing a difference in your body, that's the important thing! I agree with the poster who said to take pictures...and I would really recommend "investing" in a measuring tape (you can get them really cheap at wal-mart!).
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred and have noticed a remarkable difference. My husband comments on my athletic build now, something I have always wanted to hear. As I say to people on this journey "The scales will not be your friend, your clothes will". I am about to start Level 3 and although I have lost only 2lbs, I have lost many inches. I take pictures and have noticed fat disappearing from places. As Lin7604 says it depends on how much you have to lose in the first place. I only have around 10lb to go and they are the most challenging to get rid of but I am actually going by clothes size. Since being on MFP and doing the Shred I have gone down a dress size.

If you look at 5lb of fat and 5lb of muscle together, you will notice the muscle is more tight and compact and the fat takes up much more room. (Saw this on You Tube)

Don't rely on scales they will upset you!
  • jhunny31
    Options
    Ok I'm feeling a bit better, I have about 20 more pounds to lose as well and you all are right I need to go buy a measuring tape asap. I just feel like UGHHHH everything I step on that dreadful scale. You have no idea how many times I want to throw that thing out the window wooo saaaa.

Im wondering, does she only focus on inches?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Always better to go by the measuring tape rather than the scale.
    I have gained one or two pounds but have shrunk in size.
  • Graceious1
    Options
    You have no idea how many times I want to throw that thing out the window wooo saaaa.

Throw it out, throw it out!!!
  • jhunny31
    Options
    You have no idea how many times I want to throw that thing out the window wooo saaaa.

Oh I'm tempted but its become an obsessive addiction to check it every single day :( lol
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't have a measuring tape unfortunately however my jeans are definitely looser so to speak and I do see a difference in my middle, arms, and legs. Just wish the scale would show some type of progress. When I just simply walked 7 miles a day the scale moved but eventually stopped due to a plateau so then I went to Zumba which only got me down 10 pounds and then the plateau hit again and now I'm with Jillian :-/

They cost 2 bucks at the store. Buy one. I have lost over 40 inches with body revolution. That makes a big difference when the stupid scale doesnt move :)
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have only done her dvd's in addition to walking (now running) and yes I have lost LBS and inches
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    I lost 8lbs and most of a dress size (my 14s were already a bit loose but now the 12s fit) in a month of alternating Jillian videos and eating about 1800-1900 cals a day. It definitely works! (For me, anyway.)
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Oh I'm tempted but its become an obsessive addiction to check it every single day :( lol

There a group started in the Motivation Forums starting a challenge to weigh yourselves today and then don't weigh yourself until December. I'm doing it to wean myself off of the scale. I would describe my obsession with the scale just like yours, lol!!!
  • Graceious1
    Options

You will get through that once you start noticing a difference. I used to weigh myself every few days. Now the scale is lucky if it sees my happy feet for two weeks.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a measuring tape get string, yarn, anything, measure your body then measure against a ruler. Or a sheet of paper, which is 11 long, it is not hard to improvise :) Next time your at the dollar store, take a peek sure they will have something.
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred and have noticed a remarkable difference. My husband comments on my athletic build now, something I have always wanted to hear. As I say to people on this journey "The scales will not be your friend, your clothes will". I am about to start Level 3 and although I have lost only 2lbs, I have lost many inches. I take pictures and have noticed fat disappearing from places. As Lin7604 says it depends on how much you have to lose in the first place. I only have around 10lb to go and they are the most challenging to get rid of but I am actually going by clothes size. Since being on MFP and doing the Shred I have gone down a dress size.

If you look at 5lb of fat and 5lb of muscle together, you will notice the muscle is more tight and compact and the fat takes up much more room. (Saw this on You Tube)

Don't rely on scales they will upset you!
    This is so true... I did RI30 lost inches went from size 14 to 12 but did not lose any weight. People noticed and all thought I had lost weight. After the 30 days I might have lost 3 lbs total but with only 10 lbs left to lose I am very happy with it. I am now on my second week of Charlene Extreme and loving it. Again only small weight losses but lots of inches and I am feeling so much stronger. I keep reminding myself that this is my new life now not a quick fix.
  • Stacyplus5
    Options
    I have been working out off and on since Jan.Have only lost 2 lbs but everyone is saying how much thinner I look. I do have an addiction to the scale Im trying to focus on my clothes fitting and not the number but it is very hard for me to not be embarrassed when I saw how much I weigh. But I definetly feel better, stronger and more confident.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    I have lost inches and can definitely see a difference in how toned my legs are. I have lost about 3 lbs (but I only have about 5-10 lbs to lose).

I lost the weight when I began to do two of the workouts together (KB&T and 6W6P) and get in at least an hour workout.
  • KGraham97
    KGraham97 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs on the 30 DS and 5 lbs on Ripped. But like everyone is saying the difference really is in the inches. Unbelievable transformation if you stick with it. I will continue to do Jillian workouts, currently I'm on 6 week 6 pack!!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have only done her dvd's in addition to walking (now running) and yes I have lost LBS and inches

A friend of mine is letting me borrow her DVD because I wanted to throw something in extra with my run. Are you alternating days?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!