Can't seem to loose the weight, I need some tips!

Options
So I'm sure there's dozens of topics about each of the things I've got going on, but I thought I'd try this out and see what kind of responses people have to this. So here it goes...a brief run down of what's going on:

Two years ago, I was 220lbs and hadn't been able to loose the weight no matter what I did (calorie counting, exercise - I was running 25 miles a week!, etc). I didn't care what kind of controversy was out there about it, so I did the HCG diet. After about a year of doing 3 rounds of this diet I ended up loosing 72lbs and weighing 148lbs but I knew I'd gain a little back. This is the best I've felt in years. Physically and mentally. It's been well over a year since I've done this "diet" and I've gained 12lbs back. Here's the weird part. I gained most of it back when I tore my knee and was off my foot for a month. Then I lost it again when I started physical therapy, and then I gained it again when I started strength training. I'm now 160 and it seems like no matter what I do I CANNNOT seem to loose anymore weight. However I don't seem to be gaining anymore either. So here's where I am today, and have been CONSISTENTLY for at least 4 months:

What I feel I do right:
-I eat healthier than I ever have in my entire life. I portion control like I breath air, I eat tons of veggies, fruit, a balance of complex carbs, lots of good food source protein etc. I eat all free range or wild caught meats, organic fruits and veggies, etc. A couple months back I even totally cut out dairy (partially because I'm lactose intolerant, and partially I noticed it made me break out really bad all over my neck and chin - weird?) I make sure to watch out for calories and sugar in my drinks, and I'm very careful with dressing and dips which I know can have huge hidden calories.
-I calorie track every bite of food that enters my mouth (no joke, it's become an obsession)
-Because I calorie track, I know for a fact that I'm eating the right amounts of all the food groups / nutrition (protein, carbs, calories, etc) I especially pay attention to my protein and usually eat a little more than my app says since I know from my doc and personal trainer that this is on the low end.
-I have a pretty active job, but some days I have to sit for LONG periods in the car. The days I do this, I compensate for it by eating less calories and less fat.
-I workout AT LEAST 3 times a week if not more This is a combo of swimming laps, and strength training and cardio at the gym. I also walk the dog a couple of miles EVERY day. I even strength train with a special program that is formulated to work specifically with me at the gym I go to. And my 3-4 cardio sessions are moderate intensity interval training (even though they say their moderate, I feel like by the time I'm done I can't breath, so know their more like high intensity for my body).
-I take really really good food based vitamins (multi vitamins, calcium, vit D, multi B, b-12, ginko, St johns wart, fish oil, probiotics and 5htp)
-I get at least 7-8 hours of sleep almost every night. And since I started taking my 5htp at night (which it recommends on the bottle) I've been sleeping better than I have in YEARS!
-About 6 months ago, I had the doctor do a bunch of overall tests (thyroid, cholesterol, etc) and I was told I'm totally normal on everything. Except for weight, which according to their scales, I'm obese. Even the scale at the gym which measures body water, fat, bones, muscle, etc says I'm obese.
-I hardly EVER drink alcohol, and when I do, it's like 1 glass of white wine, and maybe once or twice a month at that. I can't drink red wine because it makes my throat swell.

The things I still need to improve on???
-I seem to go over on my sugar almost every day. Not by much, but if I eat more than one piece of fruit, I've gone over for the day. It's usually around 10-30 grams over, but can that really affect my weight that much?
-My stress is the highest it's ever been. (I have two jobs (that equal to about 40 working hours, but tons of commutes between the jobs and I'm enrolled in college.) But I do what I can to maintain my stress. I whine to my girlfriends and I usually feel fine by the end of the day. But I work with two kids with some significant special needs, and there is always something due for school, so I'm always stressed about that)
-I may still have other food intolerances that may be affecting me?
-I MAY be dealing with something medical that we haven't identified yet??? I've been reading about insulin resistance and I have most of the symptoms, but then again it could be in my head. LOL
-I have to drive...A LOT. I some days have to be in the car for 3-5 hours a day...and that's on a good day. But I don't really have a choice about this since it's for both my jobs. (I have to drive the kids I work with around).

The biggest problems I'm facing:
-I'm tired ALL the time. I mean it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little sleep I get, I'm falling asleep ALL the freaking time. If I have to wait to long at a stop light I'm falling asleep. It's pathetic. Even large amounts of caffeine don't seem to really do the trick for very long. They work for maybe an hour, sometimes if I'm lucky I get two hours, but then I'm right back to falling asleep. This can't be normal.

-I can't seem to loose weight. At All. No matter WHAT I do! I don't feel obese, but honestly, this ring of chub around my waist is enough to drive me INSANE. And I'm not talking about just when I'm sitting down, it's all the time. It's like all my extra wait is centering right THERE! URG! It's not a muffin top, it's a dang giant CUPCAKE TOP WITH FROSTING! LOL But seriously, it's making me go crazy. And I'm not losing inches around any parts of my body either. I'm measuring about once a week and no changes.

-According to my gym's scale, I should be eating around 1500-2200 (1500 to loose weight, and 2200 to maintain my weight) calories a day. According to my food / calorie count everyday, I'm eating around 1500-1700 a day. According to my heart rate monitor which I just started using a couple weeks ago, I burn 2800-3000 calories a day on the days I don't go to the gym. The days I go to the gym, I typically will burn between 300-500 calories. I wear my HRM all day and even into the night to see how many calories I "should" be burning on a normal basis too (has anyone else done this???). I'm wondering if I'm shorting myself on calories and this could be another possible reason I can't seem to loose weight. Either that or my HRM is nuts.

Any thoughts on anything I've mentioned would be a huge help. I feel like I've run out of options and I don't know what to do anymore. It's like the more I do right, the less anything works and I feel like I'm missing one tiny thing that could change everything. Thanks for listening!!!:smile:

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's 'lose' not 'loose'.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's 'lose' not 'loose'.

And have you had your thyroid levels checked? My daughter had a lot of the same issues and just found out that her thyroid is pretty much not working.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A) Sodium
    B) Not recording calories consumed correctly
    C) Not recording calories burned correctly
    D) Not eating enough

My betting would be D with possibly B or C thrown in. According to the numbers you provided you should be eating about 2300-2500 calories per day if you want to LOSE :wink: 1lb per week. Can't see your diary, so can't help much though.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    wow mickie, way to help her out.

See if your doctor can check you for an underactive thyroid. If you're tired all the time and can't lose the weight, it may be the culprit. Good luck!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Maybe she needs more hugs? ((((((hugs))))))):smooched: Congrats on the weight loss yoou've already had!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Make sure you really are eating enough and that you're measuring and logging everything. Watch your sodium intake. I wouldn't worry too much about sugar unless you're eating a bunch of processed added sugar. If it's coming from veggies, fruit, beans, etc. it's not a big crisis. Maybe try macro ratios of 40-30-30 C-P-F. MFP does set protein far too low for active women.

Have your thyroid tested again. Have your doctor do free T3 and free T4 as well as TSH. Even if fT3 and fT4 are just at the bottom of range and not necessarily low, you may still benefit from hormone replacement. There are many people out there (myself included) who are VERY symptomatic (tired, dry skin, hair falling out, puffy, can't lose weight) when we're in the low end of fT3 and fT4. Just because it's "normal" for a population does NOT mean it's high enough for you. I have to have a T4 of well over 1.0 before I get symptom relief.

If your doctor won't do the frees, get another doctor.
    If your frees are low or even low normal and your doctor won't do medication replacement because s/he doesn't think your TSH is high enough, get another doctor.
    And educate yourself. StopTheThyroidMadness.com and Thyroid.About.Com are good places to start.

If your frees are well into normal, congratulations! Make your doctor look into other issues that may be causing your fatigue and trouble losing weight.
  • Mpascarella90
    Mpascarella90 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Find a doctor that can check your free T3 and free T4 thyroid levels and find a doctor who can do a spit test for your adrenal glands. I had the same issues for years and found out that my adrenal levels where so low it was sabotaging everything I was working towards. Read Dr. Schwarzbein's book or website it really gives you a lot of information exactly what you are going through.

http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/pgs/program/transitn_read_more.html
  • Kathe2
    Kathe2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "I eat tons of veggies, fruit, a balance of complex carbs, lots of good food source protein etc. I eat all free range or wild caught meats, organic fruits and veggies, etc"

Cut back on all the vegetables and fruit and eat more protein. Try staying on 1200 calories, and you should see results.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    Find a doctor that can check your free T3 and free T4 thyroid levels and find a doctor who can do a spit test for your adrenal glands. I had the same issues for years and found out that my adrenal levels where so low it was sabotaging everything I was working towards. Read Dr. Schwarzbein's book or website it really gives you a lot of information exactly what you are going through.

http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/pgs/program/transitn_read_more.html

^^^ Yes, THIS. Serum cortisol (where they just draw blood) is not nearly as accurate. My doctor (who ROCKS) scoffed at the serum cortisol the doctor before him did.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    Don't wear your HRM all day to get an idea of how many calories you are burning. They are intended to be worn during periods of exercise only. A fitbit or bodybugg or that sort of thing would be better for wearing all day. You have definitely done your research and I commend you on that!! I would also have someone take a good hard look at your thyroid...the lethargy issue you talk about is what made the light in my head go off. Demand that it be checked again and demand a copy of the report so that you can look at it yourself. I've seen several cases where doctors rule the thyroid to be "normal" however when the patient see the number and investigate it, their thyroid is not functioning properly. There is an herbal supplement that I take for help with thyroid (basically made of seaweed) and I have noticed an improvement on how I feel. Maybe that is in my head as well, but if it helps me feel better that is all I care about.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Would like to see what kind of information you find out about this. Best of luck to you!!
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have some theories, which I am sure others will quickly debunk, but I am going to throw them out there anyway.

1. I believe that no matter what anyone tells us regarding how many calories we need a day, how many calories we burn in normal routine days, etc - I believe our bodies will sometimes "adjust" and function with the number that we are having a day. I am supposed to have about 1500 calories a day in order to lose 2 lbs a week. And I am a 45 yr old women with a sedentary lifestyle, who walks the dog every other day & works out 1-2 times a week mildly. I am very obese, and have 160 more pounds to lose. But for almost 2 months, I have lost a grand total of 4 lbs. And even gained a could of those weeks! I cannot help but feel that even though I am not by any chance starving my body or depriving it of calories - it has adjusted and learned to function the same on less.
    I am not sure what the solution is - but I am sure if there is any mreit to this - someone will know the answer.

2. I understand your concern with your weight number right now - (it hasn't escaped my attention that it is only 20 lbs over my goal weight). But it is just a number. Again, I don't know your body composition, age, build, etc., but perhaps you could focus more on the trouble areas (sounds like the abs and back if it is a spare tire) and less on the number. I think sometimes people have to not look at the number and look more at what their body looks like and how it performs. Again, just my theory - and as I stated before its from someone who has spent the last 20 yrs not paying attention to their weight, size, what they ate or how it was affecting my life. LOL

Ok - just my opinion - now the arrows can start flying.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    I have some theories, which I am sure others will quickly debunk, but I am going to throw them out there anyway.

1. I believe that no matter what anyone tells us regarding how many calories we need a day, how many calories we burn in normal routine days, etc - I believe our bodies will sometimes "adjust" and function with the number that we are having a day. I am supposed to have about 1500 calories a day in order to lose 2 lbs a week. And I am a 45 yr old women with a sedentary lifestyle, who walks the dog every other day & works out 1-2 times a week mildly. I am very obese, and have 160 more pounds to lose. But for almost 2 months, I have lost a grand total of 4 lbs. And even gained a could of those weeks! I cannot help but feel that even though I am not by any chance starving my body or depriving it of calories - it has adjusted and learned to function the same on less.
    I am not sure what the solution is - but I am sure if there is any mreit to this - someone will know the answer.

This is called adaptive thermogenesis. Yes, it absolutely does happen. The best way I know to combat it is to maintain and even gain lean muscle mass --> heavy weights / strength training along with eating plenty of protein and eating above your BMR.
  • IzzyBmydog
    IzzyBmydog Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So I'm sure there's dozens of topics about each of the things I've got going on, but I thought I'd try this out and see what kind of responses people have to this. So here it goes...a brief run down of what's going on:

Two years ago, I was 220lbs and hadn't been able to loose the weight no matter what I did (calorie counting, exercise - I was running 25 miles a week!, etc). I didn't care what kind of controversy was out there about it, so I did the HCG diet. After about a year of doing 3 rounds of this diet I ended up loosing 72lbs and weighing 148lbs but I knew I'd gain a little back. This is the best I've felt in years. Physically and mentally. It's been well over a year since I've done this "diet" and I've gained 12lbs back. Here's the weird part. I gained most of it back when I tore my knee and was off my foot for a month. Then I lost it again when I started physical therapy, and then I gained it again when I started strength training. I'm now 160 and it seems like no matter what I do I CANNNOT seem to loose anymore weight. However I don't seem to be gaining anymore either. So here's where I am today, and have been CONSISTENTLY for at least 4 months:

What I feel I do right:
    -I eat healthier than I ever have in my entire life. I portion control like I breath air, I eat tons of veggies, fruit, a balance of complex carbs, lots of good food source protein etc. I eat all free range or wild caught meats, organic fruits and veggies, etc. A couple months back I even totally cut out dairy (partially because I'm lactose intolerant, and partially I noticed it made me break out really bad all over my neck and chin - weird?) I make sure to watch out for calories and sugar in my drinks, and I'm very careful with dressing and dips which I know can have huge hidden calories.
    -I calorie track every bite of food that enters my mouth (no joke, it's become an obsession)
    -Because I calorie track, I know for a fact that I'm eating the right amounts of all the food groups / nutrition (protein, carbs, calories, etc) I especially pay attention to my protein and usually eat a little more than my app says since I know from my doc and personal trainer that this is on the low end.
    -I have a pretty active job, but some days I have to sit for LONG periods in the car. The days I do this, I compensate for it by eating less calories and less fat.
    -I workout AT LEAST 3 times a week if not more This is a combo of swimming laps, and strength training and cardio at the gym. I also walk the dog a couple of miles EVERY day. I even strength train with a special program that is formulated to work specifically with me at the gym I go to. And my 3-4 cardio sessions are moderate intensity interval training (even though they say their moderate, I feel like by the time I'm done I can't breath, so know their more like high intensity for my body).
    -I take really really good food based vitamins (multi vitamins, calcium, vit D, multi B, b-12, ginko, St johns wart, fish oil, probiotics and 5htp)
    -I get at least 7-8 hours of sleep almost every night. And since I started taking my 5htp at night (which it recommends on the bottle) I've been sleeping better than I have in YEARS!
    -About 6 months ago, I had the doctor do a bunch of overall tests (thyroid, cholesterol, etc) and I was told I'm totally normal on everything. Except for weight, which according to their scales, I'm obese. Even the scale at the gym which measures body water, fat, bones, muscle, etc says I'm obese.
    -I hardly EVER drink alcohol, and when I do, it's like 1 glass of white wine, and maybe once or twice a month at that. I can't drink red wine because it makes my throat swell.

-I seem to go over on my sugar almost every day. Not by much, but if I eat more than one piece of fruit, I've gone over for the day. It's usually around 10-30 grams over, but can that really affect my weight that much?
    -My stress is the highest it's ever been. (I have two jobs (that equal to about 40 working hours, but tons of commutes between the jobs and I'm enrolled in college.) But I do what I can to maintain my stress. I whine to my girlfriends and I usually feel fine by the end of the day. But I work with two kids with some significant special needs, and there is always something due for school, so I'm always stressed about that)
    -I MAY be dealing with something medical that we haven't identified yet??? I've been reading about insulin resistance and I have most of the symptoms, but then again it could be in my head. LOL
    -I have to drive...A LOT. I some days have to be in the car for 3-5 hours a day...and that's on a good day. But I don't really have a choice about this since it's for both my jobs. (I have to drive the kids I work with around).

-I'm tired ALL the time. I mean it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little sleep I get, I'm falling asleep ALL the freaking time. If I have to wait to long at a stop light I'm falling asleep. It's pathetic. Even large amounts of caffeine don't seem to really do the trick for very long. They work for maybe an hour, sometimes if I'm lucky I get two hours, but then I'm right back to falling asleep. This can't be normal.

-I can't seem to loose weight. At All. No matter WHAT I do! I don't feel obese, but honestly, this ring of chub around my waist is enough to drive me INSANE. And I'm not talking about just when I'm sitting down, it's all the time. It's like all my extra wait is centering right THERE! URG! It's not a muffin top, it's a dang giant CUPCAKE TOP WITH FROSTING! LOL But seriously, it's making me go crazy. And I'm not losing inches around any parts of my body either. I'm measuring about once a week and no changes.

-According to my gym's scale, I should be eating around 1500-2200 (1500 to loose weight, and 2200 to maintain my weight) calories a day. According to my food / calorie count everyday, I'm eating around 1500-1700 a day. According to my heart rate monitor which I just started using a couple weeks ago, I burn 2800-3000 calories a day on the days I don't go to the gym. The days I go to the gym, I typically will burn between 300-500 calories. I wear my HRM all day and even into the night to see how many calories I "should" be burning on a normal basis too (has anyone else done this???). I'm wondering if I'm shorting myself on calories and this could be another possible reason I can't seem to loose weight. Either that or my HRM is nuts.

Any thoughts on anything I've mentioned would be a huge help. I feel like I've run out of options and I don't know what to do anymore. It's like the more I do right, the less anything works and I feel like I'm missing one tiny thing that could change everything. Thanks for listening!!!:smile:
    First of all let me give you a hug and say congratulations on your healthy lifestyle. I too am having similar problems and issues so you are not alone. I've had the thyroid testing (normal) and other tests that are clinically normal. I would look into the adrenal fatigue issue. I believe that is what I suffer from. I too will go over on my sugar every day. I can't help it. I have the muffin with frosting as well. Hate it...absolutely hate it. My stress level is through the roof and have similar life issues to deal with. Again, you are not alone. Check the adrenal thing out. Best of luck. Keep on pluggin away.
  • islandgirlturtle
    Options
    LOL, And everyone wonders why I'm going into accounting instead of english :tongue:
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    bump for thyroid info... ty!
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options
    Maybe she needs more hugs? ((((((hugs))))))):smooched: Congrats on the weight loss yoou've already had!

I Honestly Agree With You!! More Hugs & Positive Support :):) :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The thing that stood out to me was your exhaustion level. You sound really stressed out, and that will raise cortisol levels which will cause you to hang on to the last of the stubborn fat. I would know; that's where I'm at, too.

Funny thing, when I went on vacation over the summer for two weeks, I didn't work out and I didn't log at all, and I came back four pounds lighter and so, so refreshed. Three months later, even though I eat clean (not even a smidge of Halloween candy!) and I am running daily, I'm stressed and back up four pounds.

It sounds like you lead a healthy lifestyle. Maybe a break from trying to lose weight, just two or three weeks, will give you some perspective.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

All of this, check with your doctor.

I had low thyroid and adrenal fatigue, but for you it could be anything. The only way to know is to see a doctor. Personally for me the mainstream doctors just wanted to put me on antidepressants and said I was depressed. I did have a lot of stress in my life but I refused to accept that and saw a natureopathic MD who did blood and saliva tests that showed I had low thyroid and adrenal fatigue. We cut out the sugar (I use Stevia and some sugar free products now). I have desserts on occasion and vacation but otherwise limit them for these and other health issues, but it seems to help with managing a calorie budget as well.

Only a doctor can tell you what is going on. All the stress can make you tired and more hungry.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
  • rjsmom1101
    Options
    The falling asleep in the car and everything your saying is exactly what I was going through. Go get a sleep study done for sleep apnea. That was one of my biggest problems and I started seeing the weight come off slowly and I felt a million times better within a week on a cpap machine. Best of luck and don't get too obsessed or your bound to crash and give up! Good luck:happy: :happy:
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you are falling asleep while sitting still, you need a sleep study. You may have sleep apnea, or you may suffer from narcolepsy.