Store brand vs Name brand

toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Do you mostly buy the generic store brand, or name brand food items? I'm just curious. I've found that, at Kroger's, their store brand items (Private Selection and Active Lifestyle) are really good. Wal-mart too has some good generic products.

Do you prefer to buy generic because it's cheaper, or name brand because you don't want to take a chance and buy something generic that you think might not be as good?

Replies

• tnewcom
    tnewcom Posts: 58
    i buy as much as i can of the generic brands mainly due to the cost difference.
  • generics on most except for certain important things
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I compare nutrition labels and then make a decision. Many times there are actually significant differences- especially in the sodium levels (which I pay close attention to).
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Generic brands are, in many cases, but not all, name brands.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I was watching a show on tv (How It's Made, I think it was) and they were at a canning factory. Same product divided between two production lines - one got the name brand label, the other got the off-brand label. Many times they're the exact same product, occasionally with minor difference. We buy generic most of the time because of cost and can't tell a difference in taste; with the except of a few items. Nothing tastes better than real oreos!! My husband eats them, not me ;)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Usually Generic wherever I can, I'm single and live alone, bills and rent to pay so need to keep it cost-effective whenever possible.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Name brands for things like soup, ketchup, pop and cereal. I really watch labels closely, as sodium and fat/calories are often higher in no name in things like canned beans.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    I compare nutrition labels and then make a decision. Many times there are actually significant differences- especially in the sodium levels (which I pay close attention to).

Me to. Of course if they are very similar or the same I pick the cheapo :smile:
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    I was watching a show on tv (How It's Made, I think it was) and they were at a canning factory. Same product divided between two production lines - one got the name brand label, the other got the off-brand label. Many times they're the exact same product, occasionally with minor difference. We buy generic most of the time because of cost and can't tell a difference in taste; with the except of a few items. Nothing tastes better than real oreos!! My husband eats them, not me ;)

Yes, Heinz Ketchup and Oreos there ARE no subs for!!! :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    If I know the store brand is good, I'll buy it. Some of my favorite foods are store brands. There's a really great store brand here called President's Choice, and most of those products are fantastic.

I agree, there is NO substitute for Heinz ketchup. :)
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Since the entire household here is unemployed, we *love* store brands. lol. I used to buy a mixture of name vs. store back when there was an income in the house, but now, I've learned that Wal Mart Great Value almost -everything- is nearly as good if not better than name brands. :)

Of course, we're also the type of people that are thrilled that there's a wide selection of food at the everything's-a-dollar store, so......
This discussion has been closed.