Full time working mom & wife with 100 pounds to lose...

Options
2»

Replies

• agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! :)
  • HairDivaAlisa
    HairDivaAlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can do this! One day at a time, one step at a time. I am in the same boat. I have lost 35 pounds and have a ways to go yet. I'd be more than happy to help support you in your journey! You go girl!
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Tori and I am 28 years old. I currently weigh more than I ever have in my entire life --- I am 5'7" and 245 pounds. My doctor recently offered me diet pills but I declined and am determined to show my kids that although weight loss is a tough battle, it can be done with hard work and determination. I work for a state agency and am an administrative Specilaist among other things. This means that I spend 8+ hours a day sitting down in front of my computer. I am looking to give and get support from other people in a similar situation. Its so hard to work out and eat right when you are in a sedintary position for the majority of the day. But I am determined to shed the weight and learn how to be a more active and healthy person!

Hi Tori,

You can do this! You are right, it's hard, it requires determination, it requires constant focus, and it can be done regardless of your circumstance. I know lots of busy moms, busy others, busy people, with stress, etc, manage to do this. It requires a lot of patience. We all have 24 hours in a day, regardless of our circumstances, our choices, and life is not fair and it doesn't matter, we can overcome anything if we choose to.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

All I can do is share what worked for me. I achieved my goal at age 50 after beating my head against the wall for 15 years. Yeah anyone can do it, but I can tell you that you are up against a lot when you are older and I believe females have some unique issue to face with hormones and such. The sooner you can get a handle on it the better. DO NOT GIVE UP. As I got older and the weight piled on (and I didn't feel I was eating too much!) everyone kept telling me to give up, this is what happens when you get older. I'm small, and I didn't realize how small I was until I lost the weight. Everyone said I had big bones. I looked hefty because I worked out. Once I lost the weight I realized how small I really was and that small people don't need to eat as much as big people. HINT: If you are short you are probably small.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

It really is about calories. I tell people this all the time and they say "Well if calories are all that matter why do you eat so clean???!!" Well, because it makes me feel better, sleep better, and perform better at my sports.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

Bobbie

Bump. Bobbie, you're a sage. This is some good advice.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sent a request!
  • mdonovan
    Options
    I have a full time job where I spend the bulk of my day at my desk, I get it. I know how hard it is to get home and do everything else that needs to be done, plus get my workout in, plus get my healthy meals ready for the next day. It can be done, though! Friend request sent!
  • MelodieRSA
    Options
    Request sent :smile:
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'll send a friend request...I'm also a Admin Spec for a city agency, so I can relate a tiny bit.
    I don't have kids though!

You can do it, this site is great!
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have you as a friend. I'm here to support, motivate and encourage so that we all can get to our goals. lf anyone feels the same way, please feel free to send me a request. I too can use with some support, motivation and encouragement!
  • ljdsmith
    Options
    I too sit all day at a desk :( Im determined to staer walking 30 minuets out of my 45 min lunch!
    friend request sent :smile:
  • prettyeyez55
    prettyeyez55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Tori I understand 110% what you are going though!!! I sit all day for work as well and iti ahs been a struggle trying to olse the 100lbs i want to lose! This site has helped me SO much!! i will friend you!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I too am a full-time working mom and wife. When I started back in January I had 108 pounds to lose! I joined MFP in June at 214, and now I'm 177! Well on my way to goal of 130. You can do this :smile:
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! You have come to the right place for sure!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have the same position as you. I also work on my buns for 8 hours. You can do it! Friend request being sent.
  • sweetgrasswoman
    sweetgrasswoman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im a mother of 3 with a desk job as well- I gained 50 lbs since I started this job in January and this is the most weight Ive gained in my entire life! I started to watch what I eat since I joined MFP, and workout during my Lunch hour or in the evenings. The first week is the hardest but my second week it was like I needed it! So now I go 6 days a week for 40 minutes...I feel great and also purchased shakers and water bottles and leave them in my desk, car, home etc to consume the water I need versus coffee.
  • dasexiimommy
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from.....I am a mother of 4 14,11, 1, and 3 months my day starts at 5:30am and doesnt end until 11:00 or 11:30 I cant seem to find any time to workout. I also have a desk job and my 2 youngest kids come to work with me so even at lunch time all I want to do is enjoy the quiet because they are taking a nap!!!! Ill send a request and we can help each other out!!!!
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I am not married nor do i have any kids but we can support each other ! I will send you a friends request ~!
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For any age or overweight situation... there is a tv exercise program called Sit and Be Fit..... and though it is aimed at the elderly.... when a person is overweight or sedentary.... there are numerous exercises... including cardio.... you can do while sitting.. Get two soup cans for your light weights...... and lift , lift lift.... cross one foot over the other and stretch..... switch feet.... repeat..... I'm telling you ... you can burn calories while seated.....
  • noreen2012
    Options
    Friend request sent :)

Yes I undrstand where you are coming from...I have about 120 lbs. to lose...having a hard time starting .....but we will do this together. I have been here for 100 days and eventhough I have not lost a lot I have learned a lot about my eating habits - where I eat too much and where I don't eat enough. Just stick with us !!!!
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Together we can do it!! Friend request sent :)

Anyone else, feel free to add me, we need all the support we can get!!
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like!! Always looking for new friends! :)