Greek yogurt?

Options
I keep hearing people talk about it. How's it any better for you than regular yogurt?

I saw that Ben and Jerry's now makes frozen Greek yogurt so I got some when dad decided we needed ice cream. I asked him to check the calories of his chosen ice cream (peanut butter cup) and compare with mine (raspberry fudge greek yogurt) and they weren't too far off from each other for a serving, though his had way more calories from fat.

I haven't eaten any yet (I went over on my goal yesterday anyway) so I guess I'll wait and see. And yes I'm well aware that a frozen Greek yogurt made by an ice cream company probably isn't the best kind... but I don't know anything about just regular Greek yogurt.

Replies

• MagicWhispers
    Options
    Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt, and to me it tastes much better. it's a lot creamier than regular
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think the main benefit is that it has a LOT more protein than regular yogurt. It's also a lot thicker so it can be used as substitutes for other things.

If you're looking for some good low-cal frozen Greek yogurt, Yasso does some yummy ones!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt can have as much as 24g of protein per serving, almost twice that of regular yogurt.

Just be sure you get NONFAT yogurt, otherwise it has a lot more calories.

I eat plain nonfat yogurt I can add my own fresh/frozen berriies and cinnamon
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has more protein so it is denser and higher in calories. I got plain fat free only 70 cals per 4 oz container, which is gross if you eat it that way but I add berries and stevia and it is yummy and is my ice cream substitute. Ice cream to me now tastes fatty and gross.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Ohhh so it's a protein thing? Heh, I'm not worried about my protein consumption. I get plenty! :)
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    less sugar too xx love it
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing people talk about it. How's it any better for you than regular yogurt?

I saw that Ben and Jerry's now makes frozen Greek yogurt so I got some when dad decided we needed ice cream. I asked him to check the calories of his chosen ice cream (peanut butter cup) and compare with mine (raspberry fudge greek yogurt) and they weren't too far off from each other for a serving, though his had way more calories from fat.

I haven't eaten any yet (I went over on my goal yesterday anyway) so I guess I'll wait and see. And yes I'm well aware that a frozen Greek yogurt made by an ice cream company probably isn't the best kind... but I don't know anything about just regular Greek yogurt.

I think it might be a taste preference. I eat plain nonfat versions and mix it with things and I think some of the brands I use taste awesome and creamy and that is why I like it. I like the thicker texture compared to runny yogurt.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It IS a protein thing but once you start to compare labels of regular, pre-sweetened yogurt to plain, nonfat Greek yogurt, it's hard to justify eating the regular stuff. I buy Fage nonfat plain yogurt and add berries that I bought fresh (when they were cheap!) and keep frozen and a little sweetener. It has a lot less calories, more protein, and more importantly for me a lot less sugar than a cup of Yoplait. It's also cheaper since I buy the 32 ounce container instead of the individual cups.

You can also use plain Greek yogurt like you would sour cream. To me, the taste is very similar. I use it on baked potatoes, on tacos and in recipes which call for sour cream. It's just as thick as sour cream but has no fat and all that protein.
  • jasondcooper
    Options
    I've become pretty fond of the greek yogurt brands that are available in my supermarket. I don't reach for the nonfat though... I'm not a fan of nonfat dairy products, but I understand that some are concerned about cutting calories where they can,
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt is regular yogurt that is strained ..... the benefits

1. More protein per ounce
    2. Some of the tartness has been removed ..... you need way less sweetener
    3. Creamy .... even when it's fat free
  • phillips0911
    Options
    I have bought the B&J's, although they're not as healthy as just freezing your own container of greek/regular yogurt. When I compared the greek froyo to ice cream the only think I saw was protein, other than that it's the same as ice cream. Just treat it as dessert calories! :)
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    As many have commented it is higher in protein the second thing that I really like about it is using plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream... Makes it easier to meet the macros and to keep down the animal fats... like to get my fats from veggies for Omega 3 and lower cholesterol. Health isn't just about calories and numbers on scales...
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    try the lifeway keipher version - HUGE amount o probitoccs also - HAPPY TUMMY!
  • dani_alaine
    Options
    I used to hate yogurt. In attempts to start eating more healthy, I had heard alot about Greek Yogurt and decided to give it a try. Now I eat Greek Yogurt every morning for breakfast (either Cobani or Fage). I love it now! It is so filling and in a good way! Also, greek yogurt is good for females in helping to fight yeast infections :)
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things you can do with Greek Yogurt. For example, I use non-fat, plain greek yogurt as a base for ranch dip for veggies. Two cups of Plain Greek Yogurt and a packet of ranch seasoning and you have a low fat, low calorie dip. :)
  • Judontmesswithme
    Options
    Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt, and to me it tastes much better. it's a lot creamier than regular

I completely agree; It's creamier and I have gotten a little addicted to it... :-P
  • GoatBoat66
    Options
    I eat chobani like a fiend.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You can even use it to replace the vegetable oil in recipes. I used it in a 1:.75 ratio in a pumpkin bar recipe and you would hardly tell the difference. My kids never even noticed! Great impact on the health factor too.

I agree with the plain, non-fat, adding berries group. I will also mix in a scoop of vanilla protein powder and it's a yummy treat!
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Growing up in Greece there was not such thing as greek yogurt but only yogurt (made mainly out of sheep and goat milk) and we used to eat a lot of it. My mum also used to make it on occasion from milk that my aunt would give us. It was always WHITE, very creamy, very rich and very fatty and it could be a whole dinner for someone too (with fresh bread and or sugar/honey/nuts). We would also use it to make other sauces (tzatziki etc) or as a 'sauce' to eat with food (ntolmades, sausages, rice or pilafi some examples). Some times it would be strained but mostly not, and sometimes it could have a fatty cover on top. Then at some point yogurt with flavour (various fruits and colors) got introduced and we were not really allowed to have it because it was more a snack/dessert rather than food that you could eat with bread or honey and nuts.

Then I came to the UK and realised that anything that is not flavoured is branded as Greek Yogurt (independently of how it is being produced, which kind of milk etc), and it would be mostly low fat (which is tasteless and sucks) and branded as as dessert or snack. The rest of yogurts would be highly flavoured with fruits and cerials in them again branded as deserts or snacks. So yes I guess what is braned as Greek yogurt is the closest to what we used to eat but then it is soooo weird that noone else is used to it because it is so standard in Greek cooking/eating.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If you aren't used to the taste it may be a little hard to get used to if you are expecting a 'yogurt' flavor - especially if you are used to standard full sugar brands. Plain Greek yogurt tastes more like sour cream, it's got a little bit of a tang. I found that it was great mixed WITH stuff but I can't eat it alone.

I use it like sour cream and also put it in with my oats for breakfast. When I tried to eat it as a 'snack' I found I had to add WAY too much sugar (honey, fruit etc) to make it palatable, but as a 'base' it's fantastic.