How do bodybuilders eat 3000-4000 calories a day?

Options
Let me start off by saying that my goal is to lose weight and look better. In hopes of that, I usually lift weights 4 times a week and usually do 20-60 minutes of cardio after each weight lifting session.

I eat clean most of the time, lean white meats and fish, veggies like broccoli, try to stay under 20g of sugar each day.

I have a suspicion that I am not eating enough. I feel like I eat all the time (4-5 times a day) and have a hard time getting over 1200 calories a day without milk and protein shakes. I am 5'8 195 lbs. I have decent muscle on my frame and last I had a BF check done I was at 21.6% BF. My goal is to get to 10% by next summer.

For the last 5 months I have fluctuated between 205 and 195 and while my diet isn't 100% clean 100% of the time, I feel like
I put in a clean diet 90% of the time and the times I don't are on the weekends and even then I am not eating that bad.
I may be eating out, but I am eating like steak, grilled shrimp and veggies or a baked potato.

I really need help here trying to figure out what I need to do to get the best results.
I have no problems with energy levels as it is and I have read that you should cut carb intake until you feel a lose of energy.
But I am around 1200 calories a day an my workouts usually burn around 600 calories.
Any help and advice is appreciated, I read a lot of stuff on the internet and am kind of lost on what my next step needs to be.

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm classified as a body builder but I do eat a lot of calories. 2500 is my base number and I add to that depending on what I burn running. Today I need to eat 3490 calories. My diary is open and while I do occasionally miss I generally log everything.

Should note: 6'2" and 208 lbs. at the moment.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting... cardio... not always eating healthy... AND struggling to put in over 1200 calories a day?

dis gonna be good.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I set my calorie goal to 4000, and dont stop eating till i get there.

Pretty simple.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    open mouth, insert food.
    It's not all that hard.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    WHADAFUQ at 1200.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Eat, *****.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll just ask it..... How did you ever get overweight then?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Drop the obsession with eating clean. It sounds like you are on the fringe of orthorexia, and the need/desire/compulsion to "eat clean" is preventing you from eating enough. If I understand this correctly, your total intake is 1200 calories, with 600 calories burned, leaving you at a regular NET intake of 600 calories. You need to eat more, first and foremost.

How long have you been doing this? Frankly, I can't believe you haven't already burned out.
  • briang1224
    Options
    I mean sure, I can eat crap food and high carbs and hit that, but I don't have issues with energy.
    Maybe its just my thinking but I relate carbs to needing more energy throughout the day.

There is only so much chicken and broccoli I can physically stuff in my body. I never really feel hungry anymore.

Of course I've already lost 45 lbs and Ive put on about 15 lbs of muscle from when I was at my worst.
    The last 3-4 months haven't really seen any results though.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have a suspicion that I am not eating enough.

Your suspicion is correct. Eat more food. You can do it. You don't have to eat 100% clean, but you do have to eat a decent level of calories.

Please note - I'm smaller than you, and eat 1000 calories more than you do every day to LOSE weight.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Look up fire_rock and peep his diary...though I think he's in a cut right now...he's a master at bulking. :D
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a bodybuilder, but I eat 3000-4000 calories a day. I am bulking (like a lot of bodybuilders do) and so need the excess calories to gain weight / muscle. I don't know my exact TDEE but judging by how much I gain / lose on certain calorie amounts, it's around 2800-ish. That would be to maintain my weight.

If you struggle to eat a lot, take a look at my diary (it's public). You'll find plenty of food there :) Also, as I posted on my wall earlier today, mini sausage rolls are great when you are trying to gain. They're 50 calories per roll and I can go through 10-15 in one sitting without any problem, and the ability to eat more afterwards if I wanted to.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I mean sure, I can eat crap food and high carbs and hit that, but I don't have issues with energy.
    Maybe its just my thinking but I relate carbs to needing more energy throughout the day.

There is only so much chicken and broccoli I can physically stuff in my body. I never really feel hungry anymore.

Of course I've already lost 45 lbs and Ive put on about 15 lbs of muscle from when I was at my worst.
    The last 3-4 months haven't really seen any results though.

You likely aren't seeing results because your deficit has been too high for too long....now your body is hitting a plateau and simply doesn't want to give up much more until it knows you're going to properly feed it. Don't be scared of "crap food" or "high carbs"...it doesn't make you fat unless you eat too much of it.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Look at adawson, he had 4700 calories yesterday.
  • kpbs68
    kpbs68 Posts: 20
    Options
    If your concerned about loosing muscle mass along with your body fat then add another serving of protein with in your day, preferably real in the form of meat or vegetable matter not shakes.
    Your body building so higher protein intakes are normal and the inclusion of healthy fats will help as well. full fat yogurt or a good olive oil antipasty would be of help, walnuts and almonds are great for go fats and proteins.
    If your going to go with grain or legume based proteins aramanth is a good one to add to salads, Lenetils are your friends they are very high in protein and should help increase your calorie count and be nutrient dense as well as full of fiber.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Drop the obsession with eating clean. It sounds like you are on the fringe of orthorexia, and the need/desire/compulsion to "eat clean" is preventing you from eating enough. If I understand this correctly, your total intake is 1200 calories, with 600 calories burned, leaving you at a regular NET intake of 600 calories. You need to eat more, first and foremost.

How long have you been doing this? Frankly, I can't believe you haven't already burned out.

^^this.

Get your fruits and veggies in to make sure you get your micronutirents. After that, there is no reason to 'eat clean', especially as it is preventing you from eating enough. Make sure you get enough fats from different sources and protein to make sure you hit your macronutrients.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a bodybuilder, but I eat 3000-4000 calories a day.

Also bulking, I just make healthish choices. But I have monster work outs, and those make me hungry.

I have been known to polish off a jar of peanut butter in an afternoon, that helps too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    More carbs, full-fat dairy and higher fat meat. Fat and carbs are NOT the debil.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    **** im mostly grain free, only taking in 150g of carb a day. Just eat good tasting fatty meats.Also Bacon, eggs, butters.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm female and I can't stick to 1,200 cals. Geezus. Lifting makes me feel like I'm starving.