Why Can Some Dieters Eat More?

Options
2»

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There are soooooo many factors that go into weight loss

1 - % of muscle to fat - if you have a lower body fat to muscle ratio you will burn more calories at rest - this is why you can have 2 people who weigh say 150 lbs...if one had a body fat % of 20% and another has a body fat % of 30% - the one at 20% can eat more and maintain or loose weight...

2 - how your body responds and break down nutritional components - one of those - not the calorie but the fuel itself. Some people do very well with a balance of carbs, fats and protiens - others do better on a lower carb diet.

3 - movement - if you expend a lot of calories you can eat more calories - the problem comes into that some people dont' accurately calculate the calories burned. I have a friend who bragged she burned 400 calories at the gym...until i pointed she drank almost a half gallon of sweet tea as she was working out - she told me it was tea and didn't have any calories - I had to tell her to read the nutritional label (100 calories per 8 ounces)...she didn't burn jack....and I watched her work out - there is no way she burned 400 calories

4 - if you are quite overweight your body needs more calories on a daily basis to function - this is why it is better to eat more the more you have to loose...then you adjust as you loose weight.

There are so many different factors you really have to sort of try a few different things and see if it works for you...and by try I mean do something for at least 30 days to evaluate if it is working for you... I am constantly amazed at people who try something for a week and then say "oh it doesn't work for me"
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE! Especially strength.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Higher activity level.
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    They exercise more, have built more muscle mass or are 7 ft. tall?
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Because I'm 6'1" and a man. Short women definitely get the short end of the stick.

I see what you did there :laugh: :wink:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Because life sucks and is unfair.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Genetics, amount of lean body mass, and activity level
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP, it set me at 1200 calories. I'm 5'5" and was 133...Not a lot to lose but my clothes were snug. I was hungry all the time on MFP's calorie allotment. Then I found Dan's roadmap. I set MFP to 1500. But I know I can eat up to 1800 and maybe more now that I've cleaned up my diet and am eating every 2-3 hours at a ratio of 40-30-30 and strength training as well as adding in HIIT workouts 3x a week. I've steadily lost even when I've gone over and even during weeks where I've only worked out 3x without major cardio. My 37 year-old post-two-kids metabolism is working really well because of lifestyle changes I've chosen for myself to become more fit. I'm almost 10 pounds down and am seeing really good things!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I see such a variety of calorie intakes here with people who are losing weight. For those of you who are eating 2,000 or more calories a day and still losing weight, what's your secret? What do you think you're doing that allows you to eat so much more than other dieters?

A lot of people have opted to lose their weight at a slow pace so they are not eating in such a restricted deficit. Other people maybe doing strenuous workouts that burn a ton of calories which allows them to eat more as well. And then there is the 20% less your TDEE method which will generally give you more calories to work with than MFP.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just got my metabolism tested. So some info: I'm a 21 year old female who is 5'11'' and I have another 102lbs to lose. To lose 2lbs a week I can NET 1916 according to the testing I had done.

I'm doing fairly well. I have mfp set to 1800 net for the day because I struggle to eat 1900 and I want to eat healthy, not eat just for the sake of eating. I struggle with finding the correct food still, but it's not an instant change. It's for the rest of my life so I'm not concerned with bad days or food that is considered wrong or unhealthy. Balance is the key.

I'd say I'm doing well. In 50 days I've lost 25lbs.

According to your data though you are netting a 1750 cal/day deficit on average (25 lbs in 50 days).

You aren't doing as well as you think, when you have your calorie targets right, you should lose at exactly the rate you beleive you have set. With a deficit that big you'll stall out and plateau sooner rather than later and lose a lot of LBM in the process.

I know I will stall. I constantly adjust. I look at it week over week so I know where I'm struggling and set mini goals for myself to make it easier. I can't go from being unhealthy to being perfect instantly.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    One way is if you are very large and don't choose the most drastic approach that you can find. Most people immediately jump on either choosing 2 lbs per week loss or manually set their budget to 1200 because they think it will make it all happen faster. A large, young man will have a calorie intake of well over 2,000 calories a day even at a deficit.

This sounds about right. It tends to be more about taking a cut from your BMR vs the generic MFP numbers.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2 and weigh 251. I was eating at TDEE - 20% (2000 cals) and losing super slow. I lost 4lbs in July, 3lbs in August and only 2lbs in September. I cut down to about 1300 and now I'm losing a steady 2lbs per week. I have 50lbs still to lose, so I'm not even close. I'm also never hungry. I eat clean 95% of the time, so 1300 (this is TDEE - 50%) goes a long way. This works for me, but I know I'll hear a lot of "You're starving yourself." My doctor has approved my calories, and it's working for me.

At some point I'll probably have to increase, and I realize that.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A lot of it also comes down to our BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) and TDEE.(Totall Daily Energy Expenditure).

I USED to eat just 1800 -1900 Cals a day, knowing it way below my usual expenditures, and thought I could lose. I was in fact slowing to a crawl. Then I read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Now? I eat at 2450 Cals a day, still in deficit, and my body is burning at a regular rate now. Granted, not everyone's body burns the same. However, 2450 (and adjusted lower as my weight drops), I can eat what I like, how I like, as long as I keep my cals and macros in check!

Burger, anyone?
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    They have likely/are likely doing 1 or more of the following:

1. Researched the numbers, know their TDEE / BMRs
    2. Have a lot to lose
    3. Work out hard

I have #1 & #2 - I'm at 1800, if I added #3 I would be well over 2k.

This!

It is not a mystery work out hard, eat more.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Our secret is that we calculated our TDEE and took a 20% cut from that, instead of just relying on MFP numbers.

This. I choose a number between my BMR and TDEE and use that instead of the major deficit that MFP gives me.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm a tall woman (5'11").

Genetically, I have a good amount of lean muscle and have always been able to eat a lot as long as I exercise regularly.

My calorie deficit is not large because I'm relatively light and trying to get leaner. I am not overweight, but I am at the upper end of the ideal weight for my height and my body fat % is a little too high for my liking. My goal is to lose my extra padding.

I have been eating like a pig the past couple of weeks. No ice cream has been safe from my rampage. In that time, not only have my clothes gotten looser, my muscle definition has gotten better. I just don't question it anymore.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Higher activity level.

Not necessarily. I sit at a computer all day. Yes, I exercise 5-6 times a week but at least 3 of those are strength training sessions which don't burn all that much during, and most of my cardio is shorter HIIT sessions.

I eat 1900 to lose (10% cut as I don't have heaps to lose and want to retain as much LBM as possible while cutting).

Oh, and wizardry.

It depends on what your goals are. If you have a huge deficit, you'll drop weight really quickly and lose LBM with it. And then don't forget you'll probably put it all back on when you start eating "normally" again. If you have a small deficit, you can still eat heaps and enjoy the slow ride. I'm in this for the long run and I love food far too much.

So this "secret", like all the other posters have said: I know my TDEE, and I cut at a small deficit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Wizardry.

For real. Wish I could get some of that magic.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Double post, sorry
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot of advice to ponder. I hope it's really not wizardry, but I won't discount it just yet. LOL

Marksman21, thanks for the roadmap link. I'll plug the numbers in and see what I get.

SergeantSunshine, you are one of the reasons why I started this thread. I saw your posted calorie intake in another thread along with your profile pic and was like dang, what is she doing right? :tongue: